• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5r Milspec on the way, what mods?

Jcas2012

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 28, 2011
Florida
I have a Remington 700 5R Milspec I just bought off gunbroker and am making a list of things to do it when it arrives. I don't want to go crazy because I know it's not a custom rifle and I am not trying to make it one. That being said I would like to add a few goodies to it and was wondering what you guys think of my list and if you can think of anything to add and if you know a good place I can have everything done all at once. Optics and such will come later. Thanks guys!

1. Badger Ordnance bolt knob installed
2. Stock inlet and bottom metal installed(probably R&D
Precision mag assembly)
3. Skim bed HS Precision stock(?)
4. Cerakote all metal black

Re: Remington 700 5r Milspec on the way, what mods?

There's nothing wrong with any of the items listed, but I have found that in many of these "what do I do now to my brand new rifle, pistol, shotgun, whatever?" threads, the best thing you can do is take it out and learn to shoot it well.

The 5R is an good quality, accurate platform right out of the box and will probably out-perform most shooters.

I would certainly put quality optics, rings and a mount above any of the options you have listed.

Shoot the rifle, take some training and get some experience. At that point you will know for yourself what are "must have's" and "nice to have's" for your rifle in your application.

None of the mods you have suggested will make it shoot any better.

If the stock is too short and/or you find you need a cheek piece higher than what an Eagle stock pack will afford, then consider getting an AICS or McMillan A-series.

The first thing I would do is replace the factory trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing I would do is replace the factory trigger. </div></div>

I agree the items on my list are just for preference and personal taste so trigger time and practice is obviously a must.

As far as triggers go I hear this recommendation often, however I have never used a aftermarket trigger and can not think of a reason why an aftermarket trigger such as a Jewell for $200 dollars can be better than an adjusted factory trigger. I am thinking I just don't know enough about triggers I guess to understand. When I squeeze my trigger on my 22-250 remington it clicks with very little pressure and seems smooth to me. I don't know how a $200 trigger can be so much better? Could someone educate me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know how a $200 trigger can be so much better? Could someone educate me? </div></div>It isn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing I would do is replace the factory trigger.</div></div> I just got my 5r a couple weeks ago, and the x mark pro works just fine for me. I really see no downsides to it.
I think it's mostly people being elitists and bad mouthing factory equipment

I would suggest a sling and a cheek rest http://www.snipercentral.com/karsten.htm
two things Im going to pick up for mine soon.

I have a brand new 5R and the new adjustable trigger is FORKN" great I can't see spending the money to upgrade the trigger. Love my McCree stock though best upgrade I've done short of the Spuhr mount

That's good to hear I am excited to try out the new x mark pro. Does anyone have any good experiences with a smith I can get everything on my list done at?

I found the trigger to be serviceable, however, I replaced it with a pre-06 Remington trigger tuned to 3.5 lbs.
The "feel" is much better and I prefer the ribbed trigger face.

There have been instances of the xmark pro trigger breaking at the point where the set screw penetrates the trigger shoe.

DSCF2139.jpg

For the price of the work that you want done on a rifle you haven't shot yet, you could buy a decent starter scope, good base and rings and shoot the damn thing.

My rifle shoots just fine without the skim bedding. Will it improve if I skim bed it? probably.

I don't have a tactical bolt knob, it shoots just fine with the one that is on there.

I don't have a DBM system, though I may eventually. The internal mag and hinged floorplate work just fine.

You sound like you want "tacti-cool" stuff for no other reason than you think you need it.

What good is all that stuff going to do you without a scope and mounting hardware?

chop it to 20" and thread it. If you hang around here very long you are going to get a suppressor. Peer pressure sucks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the price of the work that you want done on a rifle you haven't shot yet, you could buy a decent starter scope, good base and rings and shoot the damn thing.

My rifle shoots just fine without the skim bedding. Will it improve if I skim bed it? probably.

I don't have a tactical bolt knob, it shoots just fine with the one that is on there.

I don't have a DBM system, though I may eventually. The internal mag and hinged floorplate work just fine.

You sound like you want "tacti-cool" stuff for no other reason than you think you need it.

What good is all that stuff going to do you without a scope and mounting hardware? </div></div>

I would like it, its not that I need it. I will picking up a scope after the work is done so that's why my question was where can I get done what I would like to have done. Not should I get tacti cool or a scope so I can actually shoot it... but I understand your point and appreciate the input

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I found the trigger to be serviceable, however, I replaced it with a pre-06 Remington trigger tuned to 3.5 lbs.
The "feel" is much better and I prefer the ribbed trigger face.

There have been instances of the xmark pro trigger breaking at the point where the set screw penetrates the trigger shoe.
</div></div>

I did the same thing but I tuned mine to 2.5 lbs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCas45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I agree the items on my list are just for preference and personal taste so trigger time and practice is obviously a must.

As far as triggers go I hear this recommendation often, however I have never used a aftermarket trigger and can not think of a reason why an aftermarket trigger such as a Jewell for $200 dollars can be better than an adjusted factory trigger. I am thinking I just don't know enough about triggers I guess to understand. When I squeeze my trigger on my 22-250 remington it clicks with very little pressure and seems smooth to me. I don't know how a $200 trigger can be so much better? Could someone educate me? </div></div>

I practiced on a SPS Tactical in 223 and the X-Mark Pro trigger was very inconsistent ~3lbs. I didn't like how it broke early sometimes due to the inconsistency. I replaced it with a Timney, which was almost half the cost of a Jewell. So the first thing I did with my 5R was pull the X-Mark Pro and put in a Timney.

I would recommend a good sling sling for positional shooting, a cheek piece or stock pack depending if needed for optimal head position, an Atlas or Harris bi pod, lots of ammo, and an online training subscription.

Once you get out and start shooting you will quickly be able to determine what else will be helpful or not.

Ah ok I can see your point now. I will shoot it and see if mine is better

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ankyle62</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing I would do is replace the factory trigger.</div></div> I just got my 5r a couple weeks ago, and the x mark pro works just fine for me. I really see no downsides to it.
I think it's mostly people being elitists and bad mouthing factory equipment</div></div>

A quality trigger won't do this. The factory trigger will.

img2844uf3.jpg

Honestly I'd shoot the hell out of it, and if something is wrong, then I would upgrade it. Don't spend the money if it won't improve your shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ankyle62</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing I would do is replace the factory trigger.</div></div> I just got my 5r a couple weeks ago, and the x mark pro works just fine for me. I really see no downsides to it.
I think it's mostly people being elitists and bad mouthing factory equipment</div></div>

img2844uf3.jpg
</div></div> isnt that from some guy yanking on it with the safety on? I highly doubt it will do that during normal use and if it eventually does fail then spend 200 dollars on a new trigger.

Ya I can't imagine that happening under normal circumstances either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope, Rings, Base, Bipod, Ammo.

Learn to shoot it so YOU can decide what needs to be done.</div></div>

+1.....nuff said

RT

All I did to mine was put a Jewel trigger on and a brake. (.300 WM)

I would not really bother to bed it until you try it out.

I had the opinion that there would probably not be a difference in triggers from the X Mark Pro to a Jewel but once I bought one and put it in I honestly can say it is very important. Not all people see it this way I know. The X Mark Pro is a nice trigger and all but the Jewel is just nicer.

90% of triggers are placebos.

You find lots of pros shooting factory triggers. You find lots of novices with expensive aftermarket parts. That doesn't tell the whole story, but it should serve as an example that the trigger is not limiting the rifles accuracy.

I have aftermarket triggers and factory triggers. My most accurate rifle wears an un-touched factory trigger that is close to the heaviest in my safe.

Be that is it may, a better trigger makes it easier.

Before changing a bunch of stuff you would still be best to try the gun out as it is. Cuts out some speculation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ankyle62</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing I would do is replace the factory trigger.</div></div> I just got my 5r a couple weeks ago, and the x mark pro works just fine for me. I really see no downsides to it.

img2844uf3.jpg
</div></div>

Shrek, stop pulling on the trigger when the safety is on. What is your trigger pull weight set at? Jesus....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Learn to shoot it so YOU can decide what needs to be done. </div></div>Well said!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: clj94104</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ankyle62</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dvsdev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The first thing I would do is replace the factory trigger.</div></div> I just got my 5r a couple weeks ago, and the x mark pro works just fine for me. I really see no downsides to it.

</div></div>

Shrek, stop pulling on the trigger when the safety is on. What is your trigger pull weight set at? Jesus.... </div></div>

Look at the construction in this video, and you'll see that it doesn't take much force to break one off. This was the first part I replaced on my 5R. Mine didn't fail, but I didn't like knowing it could.

X-Mark Pro failure video.

Another vote for a trigger. Out of all the parts I changed on my 5R the one that made the biggest difference was the trigger.

First learn to pull a trigger. Then get a new trigger if you need one.

instead of a high speed coating, you could always hit the stainless parts with krylon and spend the money you saved on ammo.

My non-x trigger is just as good as any other high priced trigger. get the hollland trigger spring kit, and a pre X-mark trigger, and you're set.

mine has a very consistent pull with 0 creep just under 2 lbs. if you can get it to tune the way you want it to, it's great.

Timney is a reasonable alternative to Jewell. I have both and for $90 less, the timney is a good piece of equipment

Mine's a Timney as well. Big improvement over the factory. When I was researching what trigger to get I found most people recommended Jewel for a bench only rifle and Timney for a field rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JCH</div><div class="ubbcode-body">chop it to 20" and thread it. If you hang around here very long you are going to get a suppressor. Peer pressure sucks. </div></div>

So I can blame you guys for this addiction?? Sweet, you should've told me sooner.

On topic, get out shoot it, learn what you like and don't like before you change anything.

Good advice, thanks everyone for the input I appreciate all your help. I just prefer a black rifle and want to have a little fun customizing her cosmetically but I will definitely hold off on doing anything else until I shoot it and get a feel for the rifle.

I would add to replace the stock IMO. I didn't care for the HS, and had mine bedded into a MCM A5.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope, Rings, Base, Bipod, Ammo.

Learn to shoot it so YOU can decide what needs to be done. </div></div>
What he said.

when I got mine I was all atwitter over it, thinking about fancy gewgaws before I ever fired a shot.
Out of the box, I cleaned it carefully, checked torque on all screws, adjusted trigger to 3lbs and function checked. I mounted a 20 moa badger base, IOR steel rings on a 16x SS I had in a box, added a TAB sling and robbed the bipod off my plain vanilla PBR.
With all that out of the way, I want a tac ops bolt knob.
I'm hoarding pennies for a Night Force. Until then the SS works fine. I want cerakote too; krylon is cheap and I can touch it up or clean it off myself.
It didn't make sense to dump money in it before I found out if it would shoot or not.

I tried all sorts of 175 SMK loads and couldn't get much under 1". I picked up some FGMM 175 for a standard with about the same results. Changing OAL to 2.810 got instantly better groups with the best 5 shot group at .483 before massaging down to .175
I'll be trying that one again and gathering chronograph data on Tuesday 7/5. If you reload you're already ahead of the game.
Dang stuff is expensive. Really good stuff is more expensive.
The most accurate I've shot is what I made.

My whole point with this rambling is that some have reported outstanding results out of the box. Bully for them.
I had to work at it to find what it would shoot and finally found the load as some frustration was setting in. Don't be disappointed if it doesn't shoot bugholes first time out.
Sometimes you have to work at it. I do, I'm not the pro some of these guys are.

Oh, I found the palm swell a little "odd" feeling at first. Not uncomfortable, but different. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it changed the way the way I placed my trigger finger enough I had to really concentrate on pull until I got used to it.

PICT0041.jpg

I recently seated my rounds from 2.800 to 2.805 and saw a little accuracy increase. Will have to try some at 2.810.

I had my 5R skim bedded and the action trued just to give me peace of mind. I didn't like the way the bolt cycled and my smith trued the bolt and fluted it. Now it is smooth as silk. I added a HS 10 round DBM that works perfectly and is a pleasure. I have the old style Remington trigger tuned to 2 lbs. I have no need for an after market trigger. Bob White from Lake Hopatcong did the work and it definitely shoots better. What's the sense of owning a precision rifle if you can't baby it, spend all your money on it, and fight with your wife about it?

Learn to shoot it so YOU can decide what needs to be done. </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bucster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had my 5R skim bedded and the action trued just to give me peace of mind. I didn't like the way the bolt cycled and my smith trued the bolt and fluted it. Now it is smooth as silk. I added a HS 10 round DBM that works perfectly and is a pleasure. I have the old style Remington trigger tuned to 2 lbs. I have no need for an after market trigger. Bob White from Lake Hopatcong did the work and it definitely shoots better. What's the sense of owning a precision rifle if you can't baby it, spend all your money on it, and fight with your wife about it? </div></div>

Haha well said my friend

JCas45, maybe I'm missing something. Am I correct in my understanding that you have a brand new Remington 5r that hasn't had a single round put through it because it doesn't have any glass on it and you're asking about what you should do with the rifle? If this is right, it seems ass backwards to me.

You won't even know what the rifle needs until after you've shot it. Besides, none of that stuff that you listed will make the rifle shoot.

A friend of mine just got the exact rifle that you have. What we did to his was to add a "bolt lift" for the handle. I think it feels better than the Badger and it doesn't get dinged up. It's cheap and you can do it yourself. Actually the first thing we did was put a base and scope on it. We wanted to get shooting, so we put a $20 Weaver base on it, with Burris Zee Rings and a Vortex PST 6-24X scope. We shot it a bunch and determined that it was a real shooter. We added the bolt knob. He also wanted to bring the comb up a little, so we added a stock pack. The trigger was clean but heavy, so we added a Shilen trigger, which didn't do much for accuracy, but it made shooting accurately easier and faster.

He wanted a bipod, so he got a Harris.

At this point, the rifle shoots. Any other additions will be added as the need for them arises.

sent mine to Robar for coating, also put a 20moa Badger rail on it and then shot the hell out of it, get a Harris bipod too

If you live in a free state, get the barrel threaded and start the paperwork on a suppressor.