• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5r question

Wreckinshop

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2009
The South
Heya guys, I have several 30-06's and love them dearly. But now I have a remington 700 5r in 308. My question is, i want to send the rifle in to AWC to get the barrel end threaded for a can. Any advice or knowledge you guys can lend me before I do this? Such as why you would or would not do this? Im looking for people with experience with suppressed rifles, who can tell me if this will mess the rifle's accuracy up some kind of way. I hope my question is clear enough =)

Re: Remington 700 5r question

I'm planing on doing the same on my 5r, I'm going with the Surefire Muzzle Break / Adapter. Just havn't decided on who to thread the barrel yet. Everything I've read about it, shouldn't affect the accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SkiNut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm planing on doing the same on my 5r, I'm going with the Surefire Muzzle Break / Adapter. Just havn't decided on who to thread the barrel yet. Everything I've read about it, shouldn't affect the accuracy.</div></div>

Short answer, no it will not affect acuracy as long as a good smith does the work.

Threading the barrel will itself not change accuracy. When you hang a can out on the end of the barrel, you better believe it will effect accuracy. It totally changes the harmonics of the barrel with the added weight out on the end of it. It works the same as a tuner that benchrest shooters use.

You're going to have to do load development with the can. Unsuppressed or suppressed, the load your rifle shoots best may be different (due to barrel harmonics as stated). Also your zero might change as well.

Ok, That makes since. Just starting to study reloading now too so that fits with load development for a barrel.

Thank you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30378</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It totally changes the harmonics of the barrel with the added weight out on the end of it. It works the same as a tuner that benchrest shooters use. </div></div>

So this is a good thing right? I'm fairly knowledgeable about pistol suppression but the effects of rifle suppression is still a work in progress for me. Tons of good info on here though, and lots of good expertise. Thanks for the info guys

The can will probably make your rifle more accurate. Mine did.