• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5R Recoil Pad

razorback308

Private
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2011
Bossier City, LA
I shot my 5R yesterday for the second time. I put about 30 rounds through it. I have to be honest my shoulder is pretty sore this morning. Has anyone upgraded the recoil pad on their Rem 700 5R? Any suggestions on what pad to use?

Reactions: jaydog5214
Re: Remington 700 5R Recoil Pad

Try the search engine in my Signature. There have been a couple good threads on replacing the recoil pad on the 5r.

Yea, it's pretty thin isn't it. A little much off a bench IMHO. Some weight in the void in the butt stock helps too.

I did mine at home, PN 10111.
SScott
stock5.jpg

stock2.jpg

I am looking for a little more LOP so I don't think I would have to cut mine. Did you glue it on you did you find a way to use screws?

The limbsaver is by far the best pad out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h4everything</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The limbsaver is by far the best pad out there. </div></div>

Had one on my 270 WIN. Definitely reduced the felt recoil but I found it a bit "squishy" feeling and did not feel as solid when shouldering the rifle.

YMMV

Try the Limbsaver slip-on. If your scope eye relief is correct for the current length of pull you might find the extra is perfect when you go prone.

If you want it for recoil just readjust the scope and your good to go.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quarter Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try the Limbsaver slip-on. If your scope eye relief is correct for the current length of pull you might find the extra is perfect when you go prone.

If you want it for recoil just readjust the scope and your good to go. </div></div>
+1
I cut and screwed mine on and it was very nice, and I also added lead into the void in the stock to tame the recoil.
SScott

+1 for Limbsaver. I've replaced a couple of mine. Most will need trimming

I finally got up the nerve up to do the grind to fit install. I started on it today, but need to get some epoxy and fine grit sandpaper for finishing up. I'm using the Pachmayr Decelerator 750B 1" medium size. I used a belt sander to grind the pad. I'm also adding some weight to the stock. I filled the void with sand until it got an inch from the top, then melted some lead and poured it on top of the sand then cooled it with a bottle of water. Then I dumped it all out. Now I have a nice square hunk of lead that fits nicely in the end of the stock. I am also adding a Karsten's custom cheek rest A-model. I will give update and post pics when finished.