• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 5r

theriddler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2011
South Dakota
I'm trying to find a place to order this rifle. However I cannot find any info on it on the Remington website.

Called a few places a d they need the item number. Can anyone help me out?

What calipers can be ordered?

I'm looking to do just that, order a 5r in the next few weeks. I've only had luck going to a local dealer at this point. They said they could get it in .308 within a week. My next step is to check with online vendors to see if they have any in stock. Let me know what you find!

The only calibers I've found so far are .308 and 300WM. There may be others, but I haven't found them.

Do you have an item number on the .308? Cabelas apparently doesn't know that rifle exists.

I have a gun shop within an hour that'll do free FFL transfers for vets so I may go thru them

I don't have an item number yet. I'll bet if you check your most popular gun shops, they will be able to get one pretty quickly. Let me know what price you get. just curious.

The 5R is made in a 223, 308, and 300 WM. A couple years back I bought the 24" 308 model. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it very much because I don't have a quality scope to put on it. In the last two years I've upgraded the following:

Badger 20 MOA rail
Badger bolt knob
Timney 517
Harris BRM-S w/Pod-loc

Last edited:
I noticed the classified ones. Just trying to figure out new price.

I hear the stock, trigger, and barrel are worth the extra $500

Well shit, they sell a .223 version as well. Was looking for a solid action/barrel combo to start a custom build.

There goes my bonus this year lol

Also, got the number from Remington. The new number is 85200. Accusport is the only authorized wholesaler of that rifle.

Last edited:
I noticed the classified ones. Just trying to figure out new price.

I hear the stock, trigger, and barrel are worth the extra $500
The stock is a decent Start but still needs bedding, IMO.
The trigger is no Jewell if you know what I mean.
The barrel is superb.
With a little Cerakote, add some bottom metal (maybe a Jewell trigger) and this rifle can be really nice .

What would you guys consider the "better buy" 700P or the 5R? 300WM is the caliber I'm considering...

Thrusty, I've had the P and the 5r. IMO , go with the Police. I say that because I know you reload. I actually whipped up on some guys at over 1200 yards with mine and they were shooting GAP's and could actually SHOOT! I had mine shooting one hole groups... Literally with 208s and 210 bergers. Also I like the HS stock better than the 5R's and if they are still doing the 40x trigger ... It beats the x mark like a thieving hooker. For about 900 to 950$ you can't beat it. The 5r is nice , but I had to replace the trigger and bed it to get it shooting to my standards. Also the palm swell on that stock is uncomfortable at least to me also. That's just my take. I'm sure you'd be happy with either... AS

What would you guys consider the "better buy" 700P or the 5R? 300WM is the caliber I'm considering...

Stainless action on the 5r. They are slick. No difference bedding if both are HS stocks like all I have seen. Palm swell on my 5r was wierd when I first git it. I was used to the Varmit style. Using it, I get it now. I pull the stock to my shoulder and grip is comfortable - for me. Good equipment.Mine is 223 and hits great.

Stainless action on the 5r. They are slick. No difference bedding if both are HS stocks like all I have seen. Palm swell on my 5r was wierd when I first git it. I was used to the Varmit style. Using it, I get it now. I pull the stock to my shoulder and grip is comfortable - for me. Good equipment.Mine is 223 and hits great.
eta; They have some of these in 300 win. at first stop in rapid. That and the 'tactical' 26 fluted hs stocked dist. special.

I thought i had bad luck when i got mine. It would only do 1-1.5" with 6 different bullets and 2 different powders. After500 rds of load work ups, nothing, pretty let down since all i read on the old interweb was how these were1/4 moa ragged hole shooters . Didn't really believe all the hype but figured at worst 3/4 moa rifle. When I took it to the smith for him to look at it and inspect everything, including my bed job, he had 2 5r in for rebarreling. Both had bores so far off center u could see by eye they were off, in the neighborhood of 60-90 thousands in one direction. Mine was just a shit barrel with about 40% lug contact, mainly one side was in contact . The long story short, i bought the hype and should have saved 200 bucks and got a police model. Oh well, atleast the stainless action match the new bartlien6 br barrel. Now that stick has won quite a few br shoots, wearing a 3" stock.

Old story, many thousands of rifles. Even the post above tells of GAP rifles with Shooters not beating out his PSS.
All depends which story.....
I had a VS, shot it out according to the Smith. It was still shooting very well.
Any product / rifle is an unknown. Choose and move.

I think I talked myself into the SPS tactical. Since I'm replacing the stock and trigger anyway might as well go with the "cheaper" rifle.

I think I talked myself into the SPS tactical. Since I'm replacing the stock and trigger anyway might as well go with the "cheaper" rifle.

You may want to ask yourself " what ranges will I be shooting?" That 26" barrel is going to have a lot of advantages over the 20". Add about 140 fps.

For the money you can send a donor action to long rifles and build a better mouse trap for about the same money

You may want to ask yourself " what ranges will I be shooting?" That 26" barrel is going to have a lot of advantages over the 20". Add about 140 fps.

It has been my experience with my R700 20" tactical and 26" Varmint that the extra 6 inches equal between 90 and 100 fps when the same exact load is used in both Remington barrels. This with the 155-180 class bullets using varget and imr8208. Outside of those bullet weights and two powders... your results my vary. That said, if I was looking for a rifle that's primary purpose is target shooting at 1000y, the varmint would be my choice for a 308 Remington 700... out to 800 with occasional shots to 1k the tactical offers more connivance in transportation, carry and balance.

I won't be shooting 1k. 800 would be max with that rifle. Sps tac it is

You can shoot farther if you want. I was popping steel at 930 yards with a 175 vld. Ha, it hit so soft that you could barely register the pop when it hit the plate.

I would stay away from the Remmy 5r in 300 win. I have one and it isn't worth anything. I have only shot about 20 round thru it and The bolt won't come back after firing it. I took it to a reliable gunsmith and it has a extremely sloppy chamber. The brass is sticking so bad you have to use a hammer to get the bolt to come back. Bad thing is I had already had the barrel threaded so I can't send it back to Remmington. SO I am stuck with a 1200.00 rifle and will take 600 to 700 dollars to rebarrel it and still only have a 1200.00 rifle. I have heard of several posts on several internet forums complaining about the same issue. NOW the 308 seems to be fine. I have shot beside several and haven't heard or seen any issues.

I have 4 stock 5Rs, and one , with a 'better" trigger, and bolt. All are lasers, with my hand loads.3-308s, and a 223. I couldn't be happier with them.

I bought a SPS tactical in .223. When I got home I pulled it out of the stock and there was rust all over the bottom of the barrel and recoil lug. The stock is way to flimsy for shooting off bipod, or any thing else and good luck bedding that SPS stock. It can be done but...
I returned the rifle and bought the 5R in .223. I'm using this as a trainer for my son so the stock will suffice for now. Plus the stainless was worth it as well.

I looked at it this way, the SPS Tactical is $600 and change. A new different stock (H&S) is $300.00. Now I'm into this for $900+. I paid $1050.00 for the 5R. I feel the stock, threaded 5R and stainless was well worth it.

Well I bought a sps varmint sf. Will be changing the trigger right away and bedding the stock.

Probably chopping the barrel to 22" and putting a brake on it

I just ordered an AICS 1.5 for my SS 5r. It shoots really good already but the lop just doesn't feel as good as I would like. Anybody else upgraded to the AICS ?