• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 5R

medhatshaun

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2014
Gents
Im new here, so go easy on me, hahaha.

What im wondering, does anyone use the 5R barrel for F-Class? Im putting something together now and was wondering if I could use it for that aswell.

Thanks Guys

I'll start you off. Welcome to the hide.

I have 3 5rs. They're good guns. F class? Never done it. I'm just an old guy, that likes to shoot little groups.There's a thought, out there, that if you have a good gun and some talent, you can do anything the "big boys can".At least, you'll find your limitations, and gain some experience. Go for it!
Gents
Im new here, so go easy on me, hahaha.

What im wondering, does anyone use the 5R barrel for F-Class? Im putting something together now and was wondering if I could use it for that aswell.

Thanks Guys
Or " What the hell are you thinking! You can't do that! What a dumb thing! I shoot MY way, it' the only right way, and you don't know crap. Go back to your hole, and keep your head down!..............Feel all warm and fuzzy, now?

Last edited:
I doubt it would be that consistent but it's worth a try if that's all you got.5r is only rifling down the barrel you will need more than that for f class comp. Good luck any ways

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback, i will be getting the action blueprinted and a mcmillan stock aswell. I know i could do more, but id like to shoot long range without going the jazzed up benchrest look.

Any lead going downrange is better than having a safe queen. Will you be competitive? Not likely, those that are also have >=30" barrels, highly tuned loads and a lot of other purpose built hardware specifically for that one discipline. Will you gain a lot of valuable knowledge in your system and calling wind? You bet! If that's the type of shooting available in your area, I say go for it.

As with all things, you're learning. Your rifle will work just fine for F class. Besides, you're only shooting against yourself. After you establish your first score, you'll know where you are and will learn and improve from that point. Don't get caught up in the "equipment" game. Improvement will come with rounds down range. There's no substitute for actual trigger time. Another resource for "long range" shooting and F Class is - Long Range Target Shooting forum at rifleteams.com.

Last edited:
As with all things, you're learning. Your rifle will work just fine for F class. Besides, you're only shooting against yourself. After you establish your first score, you'll know where you are and will learn and improve from that point. Don't get caught up in the "equipment" game. Improvement will come with rounds down range. There's no substitute for actual trigger time.

+10

I started out in F/TR with a lesser rifle (Savage 10 with factory barrel, B&C stock) and the rifle was not even close to holding me back - skill, practice and ammo were the things holding me back. You should be just fine with a Rem 700 "5R" as long as the caliber and barrel length will let you reach whatever maximum distance your F-class matches are shooting.

Sure, if you do it for a while and get very competitive you will start thinking about a custom action, a 30" or longer high end barrel, fancy stock, etc. You don't need those things to start out.