• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 AAC-SD 308

toe42

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2012
IS this factory barrel worth a crap with the 1/10 twist?

Re: Remington 700 AAC-SD 308

Mine was. At least it was once i ditched the crappy factory stock. 1/2 moa with 175smk, and i'm not the greatest shot. Nothing wrong with the barrel i had

thank you for your reply! I am just trying to figure out if i want to drop another $900 on this rig!

my factory barrel is doing really well with 178 amax. i can hold sub moa at 100 no problem. ring steel at 700 easily. downside is the throat is LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. if you want to use VLD's you arent gonna be using a mag system anytime soon. single shot for you!

I pulled the factory stock and I had upgraded to a mcmillian.. Only problem is I don think this action is trued

I have not been able to shoot sub moa past 200 yards. It's probably just me.. Sve you guys found ammo that shoots good through this particular barrel?

Heads up, I have heard of the newest batch of Remington 700s having the odd miss-aligned throat. This causes great inconsistancy at any range beyond 200 yds. This was the case with my rifle, so I scraped the barrel and swaped it for a Kreiger.

oh this is interestig...is there a serial number to go off of so that i can tell?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mountainman308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heads up, I have heard of the newest batch of Remington 700s having the odd miss-aligned throat. This causes great inconsistancy at any range beyond 200 yds. This was the case with my rifle, so I scraped the barrel and swaped it for a Kreiger.</div></div>

Any links or references to these claims? Interested in reading more into this if this really is happening.

I have heard thier quality has gone down as of late.. Please link me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toe42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard thier quality has gone down as of late.. Please link me </div></div>

People have been saying that for 30 years. Yet they keep selling and most all of them shoot well. I got one a few months ago that was holding half MOA at 600.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toe42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IS this factory barrel worth a crap with the 1/10 twist? </div></div>

i got a new stock and the thing will shoot! i can shoot less than an inch group at three hundred. i have shot it out to six hundred with no problems what so ever. i friend of mine in a swat sniper and is impressed with it what it will do

I had a muzzle break installed and swith between a can and it..it shoots decent..I just need to find the right ammo for this particlar rifle

In my AAC - 168 FGMM shoots fantastic.......... 175 FGMM 7.62X51 so-so.... And once again, in several different rifles now, 178 Hornady Superperformance is ghastly...... But it'll hold M80 ball around MOA. I really want to try some 155 Palma's, or some uber heavy-for-308 loads like 190's or 208's.

I haven't fully figured out why the 1/10 bbl won't shoot the heavier rounds better than lighter ones.

I wish I had to the time to reload again.... But for the most part, the rifle does shoot well.

Oh, it's in AI 1.5 stock with 10x SS.

I've found that often at 100/200/300 the 168s may shine, but 175s will most always shoot better the further you go.

Can you be more specific on the bullets you are reffering to? newbie i gguess!

If you're referring to Tyler's post; he's likely referring to the 175 Sierra matchking.

I was referring to 190gr bthp, and a 208gr Amax. But those generally require hand loading.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">downside is the throat is LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. if you want to use VLD's you arent gonna be using a mag system anytime soon. single shot for you! </div></div>

Use Berger Bullets advice and do a seating depth test. 168 vld's work well in my two Remington 308 chambers, I believe my COAL is right around 2.815" making it factory mag box friendly as well.

Would you reccomend these over your over the counter federal or winchester factory loads?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Niles Coyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Twitch2120</div><div class="ubbcode-body">downside is the throat is LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. if you want to use VLD's you arent gonna be using a mag system anytime soon. single shot for you! </div></div>

Use Berger Bullets advice and do a seating depth test. 168 vld's work well in my two Remington 308 chambers, I believe my COAL is right around 2.815" making it factory mag box friendly as well. </div></div>

Coyote,
I agree with you completely. I have been seating reloads using the "depth" test for quite some time. My old custom .25-06 was significantly longer than that of factory loaded ammunition. But I have found in my Rem 700 AAC-SD that the Black Hills Gold ammo with 168gr Hornady A-Max's are exactly identical to the depth measurement that you have given and with 168gr VLD reloads depth tested in my rifle, They do fit my box magazine well. I have tried several boxes of this ammunition in .308 and originally started shooting Black Hills Ammunition through my bench .223 back in 2010. Honestly the most accurate box ammo I have ever used! Hands Down!
I honestly won't buy anymore over the counter ammuntion, unless it's the cheap bulk can ammo, for a day highly needed! Which it shoots well enough for me as well!
Just my opinion though. If you want, order you a few boxes and see for yourself!

Tack-Out

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mountainman308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heads up, I have heard of the newest batch of Remington 700s having the odd miss-aligned throat. This causes great inconsistancy at any range beyond 200 yds. This was the case with my rifle, so I scraped the barrel and swaped it for a Kreiger. </div></div>

Still waiting on proof of this, not just internet chatter.
Please post the facts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jetmd</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mountainman308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Heads up, I have heard of the newest batch of Remington 700s having the odd miss-aligned throat. This causes great inconsistancy at any range beyond 200 yds. This was the case with my rifle, so I scraped the barrel and swaped it for a Kreiger. </div></div>

Still waiting on proof of this, not just internet chatter.
Please post the facts.</div></div>

+1, please elaborate on this claim. These are a very popular rifle and I was looking at buying one. If you have some legit information I'd like to know about it.

This is from 500 yards with my AAC SD with Remington 168grn matchking. Mine is in a McMllan a3-5. This was also my first time shooting at anything over 100yards.

721.jpg

Well here is my first post! BUY THIS RIFLE! Mine shoots sub moa stock with a little cutting and sanding of the stock. My brother in law has same rifle in an A5 and my best groups are his worst groups.

Here are a few of my 100YD 5 shot groups from yesterday, the black dot is 1 inch...
1-8.jpg

I was the cause of the vertical group. First shot was bottom of dot, I pulled the second which was furthest south. The re adjusted my POA to between the two holes.
3-2.jpg

4-1.jpg

Best group
2-2.jpg

This is all with a stock 700 AAC SD. However, I removed the stock and dremeled down the front area where the stock will hit the barrel with pressure. I also dremeled down the ribs going back to the recoil lug so the stock does not touch the barrel at all, until you use an absurd amount of force to bend it. With a bipod installed I shouldered the rifle and applied forward pressure as if I was shooting and could slide a piece of sandpaper all the way down the stock without hitting the barrel.

The load I was using was 41.9 Varget, 168 SMK, Winchester primers, and a MIX of GMM, PPU, and Remington brass.

I did not use calipers to measure the 5 shot groups with as I am just getting started in reloading/ precision rifle shooting and am using my materials on my brother in laws tools and he has the caliper.

I will also be shooting 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards next weekend so I will update again then!

Guys thank you so much for your in put.. I have not heard of remimgton match king? How would this compare in quality to gold medal match?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toe42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys thank you so much for your in put.. I have not heard of remimgton match king? How would this compare in quality to gold medal match? </div></div>

Sierra match kings are used in the gold medal match ammo. Remington match kings are non existent I believe.

Yes I have not found anything on them.. Maybe my google is busted

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: crookedshot13</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toe42</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys thank you so much for your in put.. I have not heard of remimgton match king? How would this compare in quality to gold medal match? </div></div>

Sierra match kings are used in the gold medal match ammo. Remington match kings are non existent I believe. </div></div>

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/791456/...point-box-of-20

What is meant is probably Remington ammunition loaded with Sierra Match Kings.

I dropped mine in an HS-precision stock not long after I got it and it has been a great little rifle. I have stretched it out beyond 300 yards yet but it has held sub .75 moa out to that distance. I shot a .960" center to center group at 200 yards the last time I had it out (only group shot on paper at that distance).

I can attest to mine being throated LOOOOOONNNNNGGG too. My 208 grain amax load is 3.050" long (coal not to ogive) an I'm still not in the lands...