• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 action truing

MoovinTarget

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
Tomball, TX, USA
I have a Rem 700 SA .308. I would like replace the stock bolt with the SSS inc. bolt and have it fitted to my receiver/action.

Any input on this bolt is welcome...

Does anyone know of a solid precision gunsmith in the Houston Texas area that can do the work? I am OK with N. TX, S. TX or even LA.

Other areas possible, but I really like to travel to the sight and visit with the person doing the work. I am old-fashioned in that manner. Besides he is about to perform an operation on my mate, if you know what I mean.

Re: Remington 700 action truing

Personally i'd save my money considering the bolt is almost 400.00 and it still needs a smiths attention. Not knowing the details of your rifle, but if you can find a good smith to true your action, grind your recoil lug and lap your bolt face and lugs it would peform just as good if not better for half the price of the new bolt. There are also a few guys on here who do bolt fluting and knob installs if your looking for that look.

This is not exactly what you're asking but this will get you started for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You should call a few of the top level gunsmiths that frequent this forum. Here's a few of them (in no particular order, please don't feel slighted if I forget someone, it wasn't intentional)

Robert Gradous
A10XRifle (George Gardner @ GA Precision)
wnroscoe (William Roscoe)
heatseekins (Glen Seekins)
Skunkworks (Mike Bush)
M. Gordon (Mark Gordon)
Old Eyes (Alan Warner)
HateCA (Randy @ RD Precision)
C. Dixon (Chad Dixon)
STR (Ozzie Suarez)

Ask them what the fee schedule is for:

Time/True your chosen action
Rebarrel said action with your chosen caliber
Any trigger or stock work you'd like done at the time
Metal prep/coating

Ask details, lead times, barrel maker suggestions, twist rates. You should be prepared to tell them your primary plans for the rifle, be it hunting, target shooting only, field competitons, bench rest, etc.

This is just general advice, as I've sorta gotten the idea what you're looking for but figured I would try to give a general answer.

The 'smiths above have all demonstrated to numerous members on this site to build exceedingly repeatable and wonderfully built rifles. I've spent many hours on the phone with several and have found them to be very helpful and knowledgeable. I would have no trouble sending a rifle to any of them to work on my stuff.
</div></div>

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2271394#Post2271394

Rats, missed the list again. Happy shooting either way
smile.gif

Good info, William. Having an idea of how it is done and actually seeing it are two different things

wnroscoe,

I looked at your website and your process. It looks like a sound and thorough process.

It sounds like you would need to mill the receiver and replace the bolt in this process. Is this the same bolt SSS bolt as the link below:

http://www.superiorshootingsystems.com/ACCESSORIES-CUSTOM_REM_700_BOLT.html

Can you give me an estimate and an approximate job time.

I will probably be ready to do the work in early March, earlier if things go in my favor. I would also like to deliver the rifle instead of mailing it. I would like to meet the doctor that is going to operate on my mate.

This guy seems like he knows a pretty good bit about that rifle, maybe his work would be worth checking out? He is local to me but i do not shoot the same type of rifle but from what i have looked at on his website it seems he has been doing some great work? Give him a call and ask a few questions and check him out? http://www.scorehi.com/

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MoovinTarget</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wnroscoe,

I looked at your website and your process. It looks like a sound and thorough process.

It sounds like you would need to mill the receiver and replace the bolt in this process. Is this the same bolt SSS bolt as the link below:

http://www.superiorshootingsystems.com/ACCESSORIES-CUSTOM_REM_700_BOLT.html

Can you give me an estimate and an approximate job time.

I will probably be ready to do the work in early March, earlier if things go in my favor. I would also like to deliver the rifle instead of mailing it. I would like to meet the doctor that is going to operate on my mate. </div></div>

I have a raceway reamer that's .705" and is what I use when replacing the standard remington bolt with an aftermarket. The bolt body I use is from PTG, same as SSS but, I now order with whats called a bump grind. I have them off set so the bumps are .704" to .7045" when the bolt is closed vs the standard .703" I was using. This reduces the bolt body to bolt raceway clearence even more for a more positive lock up.

From my prices page;

<span style="font-weight: bold">At time of build, Ream Receiver Raceway to .705” and replace
Factory Bolt with PTG .703” Bolt with Tactical Style Handle $375.00</span>

This includes tig welding the handle on.

If from Tomball, TX you must have meet and or shot with Jackie Schmidt by now. Hell of a nice guy and a great shooter. I hear he knows his way around a machine shop too
wink.gif