• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Action

operatorj

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2009
Heltonville ,Indiana
I am looking for a place to get a Remington 700 SA 308 receiver and bolt. I was going to get one from Brownells but they dont carrier them anymore. Were is a good place to get one.

Re: Remington 700 Action

On here.... I have sold plenty of them here, and there are usually lots in the classifieds.

Try Wal-Mart. Get the cheapest one you can find and strip it down. For what I have seen the actions go for you will not be into it for much more and you can sell the barrel and stock.

i do not think that remington actions/bolts are sold separately from complete rifles at this time.

Academay sports sells ADL,s on sale for $349 or $379 normal price
buy one and sell the barrel and trigger ymmv

Call up a couple of local gun stores and see if they have any used 700 rifles.

SA actions withs 308 bolt faces
Look for rifles in these calibers(Taken from main page of SH bolt rifles in "Caliber Choices" http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1877441#Post1877441 ).
Short Action Calibers, 308 bolt face

6mm BR – wildcats are 17, 22, 7mm, 30 cal all on this case
6mm Dasher – parent case is 6 BR
6mm BRX – parent case is 6 BR
22-250
6mm-250
250 Savage
260 Bobcat – 6.5mm in 250 Savage
300 Savage
243 Winchester
260 Rem
7mm-08
338 Federal
8mm-08
358 Winchester
257 Roberts
7x57, 8x57, 9x67, 9.3x57
6mm Super LR
6.5-6mm Super LR
6.5x47 Swiss Match
6-6.5x47 Lapua
6.5x47 Lapua
6-284
6.5-284
284 Winchester (more aptly built in a long action, but officially a short action round)

I guess that the first question is what is it that you are planning on doing with the action?

If you plan to build off the Rem 700 by slapping it on to a new barrel and sticking it into a new stock then you are probably going to want to have the action worked over by your smith before all of that.

If that is the case, just bite the bullet and buy a Stiller Tac 30. It has the same footprint as the Rem 700 and is a drop in for any stock that is made to fit the 700.

Once you have your smith remove the 700 action from the barrel, true\blueprint the receiver and bolt, change out the j-lock, upgrade the lug, add a tac bolt knob, etc, etc you will probably spend close to the same amount as you would going with a Stiller. That’s not to mention all the time that your rifle will be pieces and out of your hands.

If you are firmly entrenched with the idea of a Rem 700 and nothing else will do then buy a Rem 700 SPS Varmint ($550.00), sell off the barrel (I'll take the barrel off your hands), throw the stock in the trash and go on with your build.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks,

Ike

If you watch the sales at Cabelas, Gander Mountain, ect. You can find a donor action at a resonable amount.

ddj

How much would a rem 300 rum barrel and a bolt be Worth.the barrel has at the most 200 rounds through it.stainless

It is true if you decide to have the action worked over.

I currently have a build that is being worked on.
R700 LA action
Badger Lug
Badger knob
Seekins base
PTG oversized .700" bolt with flutes/m16 extractor/threaded handle/ new firing pin assembly

Trued
Side bolt release
Pin lug
Bed scope base
Cerakote

After all is said and done, I could have just bought a Surgeon LA repeater action and it would have been cheaper. I personally liked the idea of having a built action over a bought action since I could slowly piece it together so I am not just suddenly dropping 1k. Though I did spend more for the LA to be worked over, it wasn't a HUGE HUGE difference. I can say my wallet didn't feel like it was hit as hard since I bought those parts over the course of 3 months.

Thanks for all the help guys. This is going to be a slow build so that I can get it done exactly like I want from the start. I had thought about just buying a SPS Varment ot Tactical and going from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator j</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the help guys. This is going to be a slow build so that I can get it done exactly like I want from the start. I had thought about just buying a SPS Varment ot Tactical and going from there. </div></div>

I went with the SPS Varmint and will be dropping it into a new AI AX chassis when it comes in on Wednesday. I'll post some pics once I have it put together.

Happy New Year.

Ike