• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 ADL modifications

HogBoss

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2013
I've got a Remington 700 ADL .30-06 with a pencil barrel and synthetic stock. I've added a 20 MOA picatinny base so I can share my scope across other rifles I own. I'd like to improve my rifle's potential for precision and was thinking of buying a chassis or B&C stock. I'd also like to upgrade to a DBM eventually.

Any recommendations on chassis systems or stocks?
Magazines / bottom metal components that feed .30-06 well?
Can I get a stock that is inletted for DBM, but use the ADL with it or just shoot it single shot with no bottom metal? Is that even safe?
Would my pencil barrel be accurate if free-floated (currently has rectangular nubbins touching it an inch from the end of the plastic stock)?
Do I need a gun smith if the stock is already inletted for DBM?

Replace the trigger. that would be a bigger benefit before you decide on what bottom metal and stock configuration you want. You are going to need a better trigger period. try that and see what you can get out of it. On many stocks you will not need a smith, unless you don't understand the stock as a system you want to install, don't feel comfortable with torque spec's, don't want to skim bed the action. All of this is stuff you can do or learn to do. On the other hand, you don't have to do a thing and can pay some very competent and profesional people who have years of experience to do it right. Your choice. regardless, you are going to need a new trigger group. Timney, Jewel, I haven't messed with a Shilen yet, but I would feel comfortable tring one.

When it comes to barrel replacement, chambering and what not, you are more than likely going to need a smith.

I have a 700 ADL, in 270. I have noticed that the barrel does heat up fairly quickly. Either that causes my shots to spread out a bit after 20 rounds or so, or it is just me forgetting how to shoot after sending a few downrange. As it came from the box store, it shot about 1.75" at 100. Put on a stock that fit me better, bedded the action, made sure the barrel was floated, and the group size dropped to about .8" with factory ammunition, crappy cheap scope, rings and mount that came with it. I have not had the opportunity to get it out any further than that, but I would expect proportional performance provided I do my part.

There are some pencil barrels that shoot ok, but it only does it for a few shots. This makes it less than ideal for a precision platform. Lack of match grade ammo for 30-06 is another blower. If you don't reload you're going to dump a bunch of money into whats essentially a hunting rifle and be shooting factory deer loads.

To replace the barrel will cost as much as a decent 308. My advice to you would be to sell it for $400 or so, then add $100 to that and get a factory varmint contour 308. The ADL varmint at dicks is $500 on the dot and has a scope that can be sold. This will be a much better platform to build off of. My next bit of advice would be to put your funds for a chassis and trigger towards a dedicated scope for it even if its just a $300 SWFA. You'd be surprised what you can do with a factory R700 and a decent piece of glass.

I have the same rifle. I was getting solid 1.5 moa with m72 ammo and I'm not a great shot. I got a good deal here on an m24 stock and threw it in that, big improvement but I've only shot a few rounds and can't directly compare yet. I did it because I already had the rifle and thousands of rounds of ammo. I've tried 5 or 6 types of ammo and only two give good results, the rest are very inconsistent. M72 is hard to find and the hornady match that works well for me is $1.6/rd. .308 is much more affordable to shoot.

If yours is in good shape and you can get a decent price for it I'd sell it and start with something more suitable unless you have a compelling reason to stick with it. I'd keep an eye out for a high quality used gun, upgrading yourself usually takes more time and money in the long run.

If you do keep it, put an ad here for a quality takeoff stock, one of the P stocks or something with the bottom metal included. You can shoot it single shot without the bottom metal but its a PITA. There was one for sale here the other day for $200something.

Your best solution is to give Manners Stocks a call and tell them what you're want to purchase. They will help you build the stock you want, but you probably want a mini-chassis if you're interested in DBM. The issue with 30-06 is that you will need to adjust the feed lips to get it to feed properly from AICS long action (300 WM) magazines.

The lead time will be about 16 weeks, which will give you time to save.

Another option is to get a HS precision long action stock and order 30-06 type HS precision bottom metal with it. The cost for doing that is close to a manners mini-chassis, but the quality isn't as good.

I appreciate all the responses. Thanks.

I currently reload using 168 gr A-Max w/ IMR 4831. With 5+ shot groupings, I will get between .75 and 1.5 MOA. I suspect my trigger technique is the culprit as I frequently end up putting two or three shots on top of eac hother, followed by a couple of shots up and to the right ~1.5 inches (@100 yards). When I dry fire, I can see the reticle bounce up and right 1.5 MOA. I've had some luck reducing this effect, but when my hand gets cramped or fatigued, I slip up and pull up and right again (frustrating...). I'm sure my heavy factory trigger isn't helping.

I like the .30-06 as it can be loaded to the same velocities as a .308, or may be loaded as high as a low-velocity .300 win mag(per Hornady data). The recoil for my 168gr@2750fps loads is still comfortably below my threshold for recoil. At this point I wonder if I should have just picked up a .300 win mag instead of a .30-06 given the apparent issues with DBM's and .30-06. Are the feed lips that need adjustment on the magazine? Do I need a gunsmith to perform this modification?

I've got a 1981 Remmy 700 ADL .270 and the trigger is as fine as any I ever shot on an M40A1. I don't recall the breaking point in Rem triggers, but definitely the older ones are better by far in both adjustability and consistency. The difference is just awful.

it has a McMillan Quiet Stock from about 1994. They made that for only one year I believe.

Mine is a real gem and I will never part with it. It shoots half-minute to 200 and one-minute at 300.

if all else fails you've got a great action you can build on!

At this point I wonder if I should have just picked up a .300 win mag instead of a .30-06 given the apparent issues with DBM's and .30-06. Are the feed lips that need adjustment on the magazine? Do I need a gunsmith to perform this modification?
A 30-06 is fine. You do not need a gunsmith to modify the magazine's feedlips either (I realize that this may seem a little intimidating if you've never done this). HS Precision sells a magazine feedlips adjustment tool on Brownells (~ $30). You will need this and a set of micrometer calipers. You just bend the forward and aft sections of the feedlips with the tool until you get close to the dimensions listed on the sheet.

I have been able to get Alpha Mags to work by tweaking the feed lips also. It's a good tool to have and will get you DBM capability with a 30-06 if that's what you want.

30-06 is a good caliber. Too many people poo poo it on this forum.

I would suggest keeping your current ADL in its sporter configuration and build it up as a hunting rifle. Then look at another heavy bbl short action to build up for long range. Why,? well if you hang out in the Hide sales thread you will find everything you need to build up a long range rifle. More than anything are Remington SA parts. Stocks, chassis, rails , bottom metal, mags, etc. I have done such and saved hundreds of dollars compared to new, and most guys will ship for free (included in price).

308, 7mm-08, even 243 will get you started, shoot out the bbl and then convert to a custom bbl in any of your liking.

If you want a turnkey type of rifle, the LTR is a heavy bbl, fluted in a aluminum bedded HS stock, you can get the DBM for an additional $300 from HS precision and does not require inletting.