Remington 700 Alpha 1

srt-4_uk

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2011
Nebraska
Gonna cost $2000 minimum but if it shoots and they hold QC it should be good.
It's not 3 lug and not everyone wants a 3 lug. Heavier bolt lift being one reason.
Number of lugs has nothing to do with bolt lift.

The D

Resident capitalist/agorist/voluntaryist
Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    How dare they do exactly what we've been asking for for the past 15 years??? We need to tell them this isn't good enough, blah, blah, blah.
    To be fair, the last 15yrs they were coasting on gov contracts and their name. New rifle looks awesome, hopefully the reality is just as good

moosemeat

30Hate club founding member
    Minuteman
    Jun 21, 2009
    Barren plains of Kansas
    Number of lugs has nothing to do with bolt lift.
    Yes it does. Shortening the rotation means increasing the cooking force directly proportional. Also primary extraction has to be shorter and more aggressive increasing force.
    Anyways, would it still be a 700 if they change everything?

Reactions: Digetydog

spife7980

Luchador
    Minuteman
    Feb 10, 2017
    Central TX
    Yes it does. Shortening the rotation means increasing the cooking force directly proportional. Also primary extraction has to be shorter and more aggressive increasing force.
    Anyways, would it still be a 700 if they change everything?
    Not directly. It generally correlates, yes, due to people trying to optimize their designs, but its not dependent on it. You sort of said that with "shortening the rotation" but you contradicted yourself by tying that to the number of lugs.

Id say its basically only the angle of rotation all else being equal. You can make a heavy lift 60° two lug if you so choose. Or how about the 9 lug actions or single lug actions? How heavy the lift is depends on the amount of work being done and the area over which it is spread rather than strictly the *number* of lugs.

But all of that has nothing to do with this thread

I want to know how much it costs. If it really does hold prefit bolt and barrel tolerances then hopefully it comes out to less than an origin build in order to successfully take the top factory manufacturer spot back like it had for so long.

Last edited:
    Reactions: FuhQ and moosemeat

Gil P.

Blank
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Aug 16, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Wouldn't touch one of these with all the other good options out there.
    Still no word on price. I'm optimistic about it. It looks like the only inlet change needed vs a standard 700 is the magwell opening.

I think as long as the price is reasonable, theyve got a winner. It couldn't be worse than that piece of crap Daniel Defense bolt gun.

Reactions: Stoweit and FuhQ

moosemeat

Minuteman
    Jun 21, 2009
    Barren plains of Kansas
    If these come in under $2k I would be impressed. If they maintain the high level required to be switch bolt and profit capable they would be a pretty good buy.
    I was hopeful that the new ownership would be able to up the QC and give us modern cartridges and twist rates. I really hope this works out. More competition is a good thing.

Reactions: Digetydog

Shoots 700's

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 26, 2008
    Chester, Virginia
    Sad part it you going to get an inferior barrel and probably need t change the inlet on a chassis or stock. For that kind of money an orgin and pre fit with a TT and a chassis is how I would go.

fdkay

Gunny Sergeant
    Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2009
    Ingleside, Tx
    Sad part it you going to get an inferior barrel and probably need t change the inlet on a chassis or stock. For that kind of money an orgin and pre fit with a TT and a chassis is how I would go.
    I can't speak for the new barrels, but remington barrels typically shot very well, yes, they put out a turd once in a while, but they were typically solid shooters.

Reactions: FuhQ and Digetydog

Shoots 700's

Sergeant
    Minuteman
    Jun 26, 2008
    Chester, Virginia
    I can't speak for the new barrels, but remington barrels typically shot very well, yes, they put out a turd once in a while, but they were typically solid shooters.
    Totally agree with you on that. I have a few older ones that have always shot well. Last 10 years was pretty iffy

Gil P.

Blank
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Aug 16, 2013
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The only barrels that stayed accurate for me after they got hot have been customs.

Maybe I was unlucky. My last and only 700 factory barrel was from around 2009.

reubenski

Supporter
    Supporter
    Minuteman
    Supporter+
    Jun 8, 2008
    To
    Tikka's like, "Welcome to the party...."

rookie7

Outdoorsman
    Minuteman
    Jan 26, 2009
    Georgia
    There are some people if you give them $100 they are going to complain that it's not $101.

I hope they meet the expectations of this competitive market. They are a significant part of our shooting and hunting lifestyle/history, and it will be nice to see the company a heavy-weight contender again.

If they deliver as projected, time will build back that trust and respect.

moosemeat

Minuteman
    Jun 21, 2009
    Barren plains of Kansas
    Are they tho? This is a completely different company with the same name.
    I do want them to be successful but I also don't view anything they do as related to the remington of Olds achievements.

Maxduty

Quae Moriatur
    Minuteman
  • Mar 8, 2014
    Oklahoma
    I'm buying one as soon as I can find one. Sounds like a basic custom rifle, just wondering about price.

Reactions: FuhQ

FuhQ

Unreconstructed
    Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2013
    Your Wife's Pussy
    Every factory 700 5R barrel I've shot has been a tack-driver. So I would remain optimistic about the new 5R barrels with updated twist rates.

Digetydog

Sergeant of the Hide
    Minuteman
    Jul 13, 2022
    Texas
    I have a case of "queer eye for the gear guy"

The legacy Remington 700 shoots just fine for the majority of people.

People here require that the factory receiver be accurized and the gains are minimal but they matter.

Still when it comes to aesthetics, and aesthetics matter to me to an extent, the original R700 receiver is simple and good looking.

The new bolt handle looks cheap and the bolt plug looks cheap.

I like Rifles to first shoot good but they also must look good.

Win model 70 by modern standards does not shoot to spec.......but man does it look good.

1: if the bolt handle can be customized or replaced with what the customer wants, win

2. My M70 Featherweight is a 1 moa gun.

The D

Resident capitalist/agorist/voluntaryist
    Minuteman
  • Apr 11, 2020
    Every factory 700 5R barrel I've shot has been a tack-driver. So I would remain optimistic about the new 5R barrels with updated twist rates.
    I’m sorry if this comes off a bit harsh, but if the barrels and/or bolts can be swapped at will then twist rates of factory barrels are completely irrelevant. Take the factory barrel off and stash it somewhere if you want to save it for factory ammo. Then buy as many barrels as you want in whatever twist rate you desire for any handload recipe you can dream up

FuhQ

Unreconstructed
    Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2013
    Your Wife's Pussy
    I’m sorry if this comes off a bit harsh, but if the barrels and/or bolts can be swapped at will then twist rates of factory barrels are completely irrelevant. Take the factory barrel off and stash it somewhere if you want to save it for factory ammo. Then buy as many barrels as you want in whatever twist rate you desire for any handload recipe you can dream up
    You must have never shot a factory Remington 5R barrel. I have quite a few. They're all 1 ragged-hole guns...100% stock, other than the triggers. Especially with handloads. So, the fact they're finally updating the twists to modern twist rates, means that you will no longer NEED to swap everything out like the old 700's. Even though that was also a matter of know-how, and not necessarily a must. I did have a few factory barrels I couldn't get to shoot, but overall, 90% of them had no issues getting to putting down cloverleafs with handloads and some very basic work that anyone can do.

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    Banned !
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    I would not buy a "new" Remington at this time.

From QC to CS... there are so many better options on the market unless you have to have a "Remington 700 action" for a specific reason.

Personal choice having purchased 2 new Remingtons in the past 10 years.

Would it be that difficult for them to focus on their current lineup and just make them better with higher quality control?

This new updated version of the old 700 feels like a marketing reboot.

Hopefully they are doing it right and this Alpha 1 turns out to be a winner.

The whole thing went right over your head.

Reactions: TheChief