• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remington 700 BDL Buttpad

JWHITE

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2009
NE Louisiana
I have always wanted an old style remington 700 bdl with high gloss finish wood and barreled action.

Man did I get one.

Ended up with a 30/06 with a 22" barrel and a HARD plastic? butt pad. Talk about painful......call me a wimp but this thing kicks the sh*t outta me. I have 300rum, 300 wsm, 338 edge and several ultralight rifles in standard calibers.....nothing like this thing.

Does anybody know of a "screw-on" replacement recoil pad? I dont want to do anything to the stock and want a factory looking fit. My buddy has the same rifle in a 300 win mag and it has a rubber recoil pad that came on it new. Thing is his wood is straight at the butt and mine is curved to fit the shoulder.

I looked at the local gun store for a pad but havent found anything there that will work and seeing the part numbers that are supposed to fit, that dont, I'm not sure what to order.

Anybody dealt with this? idea on manufacturer? maybe part number?

last resort is to take it to a smith and let him fit a pad to it.

Re: Remington 700 BDL Buttpad

Just did the exact same thing a few months ago . Except I finally found a lightly used lefty .I thought since I shoot my garand , this BDL would be no problem . Wrong I was ! Heres what I bought at Cabelas and am very pleased with the fit and function .It uses the upper and lower holes (not side holes) . The only mod I did is heat it with hair dryer and CAREFULLY flex it to match the factory curve mine had .I did not use the white rem spacer/trim piece .
Product spec's follow ;;;;;;
Pachmayr - pre fit , decelerator recoil pad ,part #01712 .
"product fits post 1996 Rem 700 ADL (I know not BDL ! )with wood stock and curved butt plate ".

Great looking rifle isn't it ????

Thanks a lot........will have to look into getting one on the way.

The rifle is definately a classic look that has been popular for a long time. Should have bought one a while ago when they were engraved but couldnt get past the sight screws. I still dont like them but I have somewhat gotten over it.

Its really only about a 20 round per year rifle....but if my wife happens to be with me and decides she wants to shoot I think it might get me in trouble even though shes shooting at a deer....

Just gotta do something to get the mule out of it......and I would never consider downloading!!!! LOL

Reactions: SouthernReaper

I had a 740 Remmy in 30-06 that was just plain painful. I used a grind to fit Kick-Ez pad. I had to conture it as I didn't think about heating it at that point in time. And of course had to sand down the sides for proper fit. Work out extremely well and turned that rifle into one that was a pleasure to shoot.

Pachmayr Decelerator, and a proper cut/grind install is the only right move to make....

Screw that curved butt end, and making a pad "fit" it, too.

Remember, adding a recoil pad to a stock that only had a butt plate will increase the LOP........

JWHITE ,
Thanks , I think you'll like it as it fits without stock alteration .I been handloading for it to find what it likes.And it now has a scope with ARMS rings ,Nightforce base .I cannot shoot for crap with the irons past 50 yards ! Good luck with your choice .

TBAG ,
Heating to curve it a bit just came to me out of the blue .Been on the HIDE too long I guess !

TRIPWIRE,
Good point ,It does lenghten pull, but not much for me to be uncomfortable . Rem pad +spacer ~.344 ,Pac pad ~.633 .