• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 bolt lubrication question

AirborneFO

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2012
Dothan, AL
I have a custom Remington 700 .308 caliber rifle with a 26" bull barrel. I finally have the opportunity to do some distance shooting with it this weekend so I want to make sure the bolt is lubed properly.

I have heard that gun oils, graphite, and grease are all good lubricants to use. I just thought I would ask the SnipersHide community what is best.

I am brand new to distance shooting so any advice on this question will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Wes

Re: Remington 700 bolt lubrication question

Two things, both of which I have extensive experience with is TM bolt grease from Sinclair International and Hoppe's bolt grease. My bolts are as smooth as baby oil on a strippers ass and I've used one of those two bolt grease(s) exclusively.

i run mine dry...

gets a teflon infused oil soak but thats it. cleaning the raceways and lug recesses is a PITA

Light, light coat of lube on the bolt body and in the raceways. Grease on the lugs, firing pin cam area and top of the bolt handle (you'll see the wear).

I use grease on the lugs to prevent galling, as everyone should, top by the bolt handle and a little on the raceways to keep it running smooth. A little goes a long way

Typically I use Tri-Flow silicone grease
back of lugs,
lightly on the raceways
cocking cam

as mentioned, a little goes a long way...don't over do it or it will gust attract grit

My baseline routine - fairly liberal application of automotive grease on the bolt shroud threads and cocking piece cam. <span style="font-style: italic">Light</span> wipe of the same grease across the back of the lugs and extraction cam on the bolt handle. <span style="font-style: italic">Light</span> wipe of oil everywhere else.

Conditions will dictate modifications to this routine. I generally follow the same rules that I used when racing mountain bikes - lots of wet lube for wet conditions, minimal amounts of dry lube for dry/dusty conditions.

I use Militec-1, sometimes when I really wanna slick it up Ill use my Schaffers Moly roller chain lube, just wish it came in a little bottle instead of a can.

I use CLP on all my firearms, bolt gun included. I use it on my bolt.

Very, very light coat of Tetra Gun Grease on the bolt lugs, FP-10 on everything else.

+1 on TM Bolt Grease.

Tied Sinclair's bolt grease, various oils, and Mil-Comm TW25B. The TM stuff yields a noticeably smoother action.

I also use it sparingly on the camming ramp and it seems to make a difference there as well.

Thank you to everybody for the response. I've got a lot of learning to do and I can't wait until tomorrow.

I use Moly spray on mine, but honestly use whatever you have. Lets see a range report tomorrow on your first LR outing.

I scrub my bolt with a little Hoppes #9 on a rag, to clean it off, and then wipe it dry and run it dry.

Lee.

Bad news range plans fell through, no shooting today. That is a huge let down! I'll just have to wait, I'm sure we'll have another opportunity real soon.

Use the time for some dry fire practice at home and work on building those fundamentals. Really helps consistency at long range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AirborneFO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad news range plans fell through, no shooting today. That is a huge let down! I'll just have to wait, I'm sure we'll have another opportunity real soon. </div></div>

Sorry we couldn't make it work today. Always next weekend.
Oh yeah....Tetra Gun Grease on lugs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jethro3898</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AirborneFO</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad news range plans fell through, no shooting today. That is a huge let down! I'll just have to wait, I'm sure we'll have another opportunity real soon. </div></div>

Sorry we couldn't make it work today. Always next weekend.
Oh yeah....Tetra Gun Grease on lugs. </div></div>

No problem, I am glad we get to atleast zero today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Use the time for some dry fire practice at home and work on building those fundamentals. Really helps consistency at long range. </div></div>

Thanks, I will have to do that. Trigger squeeze, cheek weld, body position, breathing.

Well......what had happen was.........I'll let Wes finish!

Ha! Grease was the least of our worries today!

Brock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longbowmech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well......what had happen was.........I'll let Wes finish!

Ha! Grease was the least of our worries today!

Brock </div></div>

Yeah, I wish all I had to worry about was grease.

Range report, we didn't get to go to the 1000 yard range so we went to Jethro3898's hunting land to at least get it zeroed. I went through my range bag a few times thinking I had everything so we headed out, me, Jethro3898, and longbowmech. We backed up 100 yards, got all set up and shot round #1.....didn't hit the paper. I did use a bore sight to make sure it was not way off so I figured it was close....it wasn't.

We put up some card board around the paper to see where it was hitting....waaaay left but elevation looked good. I do remember my laser showing left but I didn't want to touch any adjustment before shooting it. We walk back thinking about adjustments and realize it will be a ton of clicks using the scope. Then longbowmech has a genious moment,"You guys think we should adjust the windage screws on the mount first?" I had totally forgotten that all of that was disassembled for paint and never re-zeroed.

I thought, OK we're good make big adjustment on the base then zero with the scope......do you have a common driver bit to adjust the base?...no, do you?....Jethro3898, do you?....no. Holy crap we have nothing to adjust it with, not even a common screw driver. We looked and looked and looked, I even tried to use the buckle on my bag, I ended up bending the buckle.

We gave up on zeroing and just decided to shoot. So we aimed at the target and grouped on the cardboard. I am pretty happy with grouping since I was using non-match grade ammo. I also got to shoot Jethro3898's Rem 700, sweet gun, awesome group, and it's zeroed, imagine that.

All in all, we got to shoot, had a good time, nobody got hurt, and I learned a lot.

Thank you to longbowmech and Jethro3898 for your help.

Wes

Had a great time shooting and most important learned a lot today! Awesome weather today in South Alabama with temps in mid 70's. Think we may have set a record for temps in January
smile.gif

Brock

Well I guess someone old needed to put their two cents in on this question. I use U.S. Army rifle grease from a one pound can on my M1 Garands, Swiss K31's, my former M1A's, and my 1903a3 and my Remington LTR. And a little bit of gun oil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longbowmech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a great time shooting and most important learned a lot today! Awesome weather today in South Alabama with temps in mid 70's. Think we may have set a record for temps in January
smile.gif

Brock </div></div>

Don't know how close it was but your truck was reading 79 degrees on the way home.

Thanks Jesse for the input.