• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 bolt threading question

akmike47

Rumpleforeskin King of the Poors
Minuteman
  • Feb 23, 2013
    I searched and didn't see anything.

I'm looking to get a bolt handle threaded and keep reading about voids in the casting. How big of a issue is it really? I've personally never heard of anyone breaking a bolt knob off, but now I'm worried about who I send it off to.

Should I really even be concerned?

I've seen voids in nearly every one I've threaded--which hasn't been a lot--and decided it's so much easier, better looking, better performing, and more reliable to just solder on a new PTG handle.

ACtC-3dn3vjrhE3jwvot4XAUhNuJibTjTKA33iybrP0Ezf0nlvr9Y5Uh7baVJjAFId2FKS36PDWQY8dGxKcdreJT00MzOBTUtTJ1EmQQ39d3x3neXYggaCzc6waxRPoN4G2gQuppaePE1M4IJjfXY_UR9cRY6A=w1187-h878-no

ACtC-3de6oW3AlTqjjTSuD_pxATOcV45lHKoFjNr-xDvo7QdUY_ffXiYBawLS8ANVWB0uwWnGlXYXOm8YGGJ_oCFm3jgVjIpVKYnSNsqUI7gslPjhHWQCUdgst-Ixwunghxx9zjKl-aIvgZBx-MAFqHqoT_9VQ=w1171-h878-no

Some people are more abusive to their equipment. If you're not one of them then threading your bolt handle should work. Most add a long knob which only adds to the potential problem.

I have seen the void in the center of the threads on most of the bolt handles I have threaded. It is not the highest stress point and I think it would be quite difficult to break a knob off without first breaking the bolt handle off of the bolt body.

We've done a few and about ten percent have a small void two bolts we needed to cut the thread off and install a threaded stud . Most the rifles we do are straight wall so a stuck case is not much of a problem .
    Like Gene said if your truing the action/ bolt its easier to remove the handle skim the lugs with a collet install a new stronger handle and take care of the primary extraction all in one shot.

Sounds like my build is getting more expensive, haha.

Installing a hardened steel insert deep into the bolt lift to me seems like the "easiest" solution though I'm no expert.

I just hate to have to get my bolt refinished and all adding more cost to an already blown out budget.

Send the bolt out to a smith that will cut knob off, drill and tap 12-28x1”, insert screw to attach custom knob. PCR will do it for $100.

Reactions: akmike47
    Send the bolt out to a smith that will cut knob off, drill and tap 12-28x1”, insert screw to attach custom knob. PCR will do it for $100.
    On average what's the turn around time?

I searched and didn't see anything.

I'm looking to get a bolt handle threaded and keep reading about voids in the casting. How big of a issue is it really? I've personally never heard of anyone breaking a bolt knob off, but now I'm worried about who I send it off to.

Should I really even be concerned?
    I've owned 4 Remingtons, my fave being the LTR .308
    Never heard of a bolt knob failing.
    Not impossible though, if the QA is hungover.
    I must admit though, not too impressed with the build quality on their stocks now.

I've owned 4 Remingtons, my fave being the LTR .308
    Never heard of a bolt knob failing.
    Not impossible though, if the QA is hungover.
    I must admit though, not too impressed with the build quality on their stocks now.
    That's why I bought a bare action and had it Brux barrel installed and just buying a chassis.

Would have went with a higher end action, but $$$

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
    That's why I bought a bare action and had it Brux barrel installed and just buying a chassis.

Would have went with a higher end action, but $$$
    It's pingers that decide what quality you can live with.
    There are exceptions,
    I used to own a cheap, nasty, rough as guts, Norinco bolt action .22 with a cheap Tasco scope.
    That thing was a laser, any bunny to 100 yards was dead.
    Taught my daughter to shoot with it, and it was frequently borrowed by mates for bunny bashing.

Purchasing Vortex Razor next week.
    I have always been a Kahles fan, but this fucker has caught my attention.
    Putting it on a Tikka Varmint 6.5 Creedmoor
    Will be into the joys of reloading with a new calibre.

Makes me wonder why I spent the same amount of money for a Howa with a bolt handle forged as part of the bolt itself.

I guaran-fucking-tee you that there are no voids in it, nor is the handle ever going to fall off no matter how hard it gets hit.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Reactions: GrumpyOleFart
    Makes me wonder why I spent the same amount of money for a Howa with a bolt handle forged as part of the bolt itself.

I guaran-fucking-tee you that there are no voids in it, nor is the handle ever going to fall off no matter how hard it gets hit.

Stupid is as stupid does.

I spent the extra because the Howa is the superior action IMO. It's a beefier action with an integral recoil lug, a square bottom, an excellent extractor, and plenty of vent holes in the event of a pierced primer.

It really is sad that Remington has not upgraded the model 700 as the years have gone by.

I guess they reckon it doesn't need improving.
    The Remingtons I had were all reliable.
    Pretty much a Tikka/Accuracy International fan now though.
    My favourite Remingtons were the 700 Varmint and the LTR , both in .308.
    I enjoyed a lot of shots with those.
    Matched with a Kahles scope, I comfortably pulled off some decent range shots with those.

I guess they reckon it their accounting department thinks it doesn't need to spend any more money improving.
    The Remingtons I had were all reliable.
    Pretty much a Tikka/Accuracy International fan now though.
    My favourite Remingtons were the 700 Varmint and the LTR , both in .308.
    I enjoyed a lot of shots with those.
    Matched with a Kahles scope, I comfortably pulled off some decent range shots with those.

Fixed it for you lol

Just got mine back from LRI.

First one I ever had done and they have unbelievable great service, fast turn around time, and exceptional work.

I have done quite a few of these, both on the mill and the lathe. I have never encountered a void in the casting that was large enough to be any concern to me at all.