• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 build / New guy

couchpotato88

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
Kerrville/San Antonio Texas
Howdy guys, im new to the forum!
I was directed here by some FAL guys who said the folks here are much more knowledgeable on the subject.

Anyways, the question I posted on another forum was met with many different answers, which effectivly didn't accomplish anything for me haha.

I picked up a small lot of "junk" guns a while back, as I was going through the pile, I came across a remington 700 barreled action chambered in .270, I also found another barrel which is magnaported and chambered for 7mm mag. The only reason I want to make it a .308 is so I don't have to have so many different types of ammo to keep.

My questions are:

Is it worth making a long action .308 or should I trade what I have for a short action?

Does anyone have an idea of what parts I would need, some guys mentioned that I would need to block part of the mag box?

This is my first full bolt action build. While I am not in a hurry to do it, I would like to start inching my way through it as I take care of some other stuff.

Re: Remington 700 build / New guy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 07zx6r</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the Army m24 is a long action I believe.. </div></div>

Correct, and that is want I am wanting to do for the most part.

Hell yeah I'd love an M24 replica personally. Gateway to a sweet rifle, if you don't get too caught up on the details it shouldn't take too long or be too cost prohibitive. Good composite stock, 1:11.25 M24/M40 profile barrel chambered for 175FGMM, DBM, and tune or replace the trigger. There's an M24 thread if you wanna make a spec build.

Otherwise, on the cheap you could find a factory take off V or Tac barrel and the action will let you actually seat long enough to reach the lands if you reload. Slap the works in a B&C and enjoy.

I may have read about something that has to be done it feed right, but I'm not sure.

I would rechamber it in 308 for sure. Already has the correct bolt face, and 308 is relatively cheap to shoot and load for.

M24 contour barrel, nice stock, and a good smith to mate it all up and you would have a great shooting rifle for target, hunting, match, whatever.

I chose 308 because I can go to pretty much any store and buy decent hunting ammo, some stores will carry good match ammo, and I dont have to get all "special" with steps to make odd caliber ammo.

270 is not a bad chambering, and neither is 243, all which have the same bolt face. But I prefered 308 as in my area I have an easier time getting 308 than the others.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hell yeah I'd love an M24 replica personally. Gateway to a sweet rifle, if you don't get too caught up on the details it shouldn't take too long or be too cost prohibitive. Good composite stock, 1:11.25 M24/M40 profile barrel chambered for 175FGMM, DBM, and tune or replace the trigger. There's an M24 thread if you wanna make a spec build.

Otherwise, on the cheap you could find a factory take off V or Tac barrel and the action will let you actually seat long enough to reach the lands if you reload. Slap the works in a B&C and enjoy.

I may have read about something that has to be done it feed right, but I'm not sure. </div></div>

Basically I am starting with an action alone, absolutely bare aside from a barrel and action covered in surface rust. removed the finish from the barrel and the action actually shined up nice. Either way though, it is getting parkerized... I will have to find a bolt, barrel, trigger and stock. Ill probably try do it on the cheap where I can. I would LOVE and m24 style rifle.. If only that damn wallet would hack up a few bills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would rechamber it in 308 for sure. Already has the correct bolt face, and 308 is relatively cheap to shoot and load for.

M24 contour barrel, nice stock, and a good smith to mate it all up and you would have a great shooting rifle for target, hunting, match, whatever.

I chose 308 because I can go to pretty much any store and buy decent hunting ammo, some stores will carry good match ammo, and I dont have to get all "special" with steps to make odd caliber ammo.

270 is not a bad chambering, and neither is 243, all which have the same bolt face. But I prefered 308 as in my area I have an easier time getting 308 than the others. </div></div>

That is the same reason I want .308. I already have 2 that shoot it, l1a1 for hogs, pre accutrigger savage model 12 for bench/varmint. I see room for another. Ive got lots of studying to do on it, like I said above, I need absolutely EVERYTHING for this rifle...I want to do EVERYTHING myself aside from parkerizing it, just to say I did it.. haha

Does anyone have any good places in mind to get parts without spending a pile of money... I couldn't care less if they are used. I just keep finding new, HIGHLY overpriced (IMO) parts everywhere.

You can look at Midway and Brownells, they will have what you need. You might also look at what's for sale here in the Hide to see if anyone has the parts you need

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rlr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can look at Midway and Brownells, they will have what you need. You might also look at what's for sale here in the Hide to see if anyone has the parts you need</div></div>

Midway is my online crack... I get into trouble there. Ill check out what is selling here. I prefer to buy some parts used if at all possible. Ill probably have some duracoat fun with this.