• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 build

ShooterMcGavin86

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2014
Nor Cal
Hi guys. I've been thinking about buying the Remington 700 5r .308 for a while now. But lately I've been thinking about putting together my own rifle around the 700 action. It will be a medium to long range target gun. Is it possible to do it for around the same price as the 5r? Would it be worth it? I would order all the parts and pay a smith to put it together. Im looking for barrel suggestions and the total estimated cost of a build, including assembly, truing, and bedding. Im currently thinking a 24" barrel with a 1:10 twist but Im totally open. However I'm not open to action or caliber suggestions so we can avoid that discussion. Thanks in advance!

To have a smith build a custom gun for you it will cost more then the Remington 5r. There are some smiths that will do an accurizing package to a 700 that will run you near the amount of the 5r. If you are piecing together a customs will add up.

Rough prices
700 Action = $400
Barrel = $350
Stock/Chassis = depends greatly $200 - $2000
Bottom metal/DBM = $90-$350
Trigger = $50-$200
Scope base = $50-$150
Smith fees = depends but about $1000

You will need to do some research on what you would really like to do. If starting out the 5r is a great 700 to get, if you want 1/10 twist than 700aac and buy the 5r stock (HS Precision, same as 700p) take off for about $200. I say 700 because there are other rifles you could choose from with in the $1100 price range. Read up the Hide has a bunch of info.

Last edited:
If you go by pricing on the LongRifles 700 action work group buy, having a 700 receiver trued, barrel installed/chambered, and a tactical bolt knob installed will cost you $435...and that doesn't include any Cerakote or muzzle threading should you desire those features.

Say you get an inexpensive barrel like a Benchmark from 3rd Gen...call it $310 shipped.

Right there you're at basically $750, and you still need to buy an action. A 700 ADL donor from Wally World runs about $450 out the door (when they are in stock, my local store is all tapped out due to recall) so now you're at $1200. And you still need to pay to ship the stuff around, and you still need a stock/bottom metal or chassis.

If you're happy with 308 the 700 5R is a pretty decent choice - if you want a different caliber (say a 6mm or 6.5mm) on a 700 action then your choice is pretty much custom work.

I'd absolutely have one built. It looks like the 5r is around 1200? For that you can buy an doner 700 and have a top tier barrel installed. You would have to add the stock. I'm just guessing 300 more to build? Even if it was 500 it would be worth it to me over a factory tube and non blue printed

My $0.02- the 5r is a great gun and should do most all you want, however......
If the idea of a custom appeals to you and leaning that way, I foresee you wishing you would have spent the few more dollars to have it as you want it. Buy once, cry once.

I have 5R that I purchased a bout 3 years ago. It is very accurate and I have no complaints, it's stock and shoots where I point it. I have had it out to 1000 yards and it does everything I ask.
It would be a great choice

I started with a 5R, my intention when I bought it was to have a very good, accurate, out of the box rifle that I could build on as money permitted and that came in a good, solid stock that I would not have to replace right away.
My 5R shot VERY well right out of the box, the x mark pro trigger that I had was pretty good, but I had it set at around 3.5 pounds.
I had an original walker trigger and side bolt release installed.
I then had the barrel set back and rechambered, a custom recoil lug installed and the action trued.
This really didn't improve the accuracy as far as groups go, but it did improve the consistency.
It now wears a schnieder SR60 contour 1-11" P5 24" barrel in an XLR chassis.

This project started several years ago, if I were to do it all over again, I would buy a Sig SSG-3000 and call it good. It only runs about 300 more than the 5R and has everything you need or want.

Go with a rw Snyder base custom and stay basic and you have a very good barreled action for 1500. Buy a take off stock and your set up nice. Not a whole lot more than a 5r for what you're getting.

In my opinion, you're better off buying a Remington 700P or 5R and taking any extra money you have and investing in reloading equipment. Either of the stock Remingtons would benefit from a Timney trigger and lug bedding but they both have adequate stocks and will give you a gun that's more than likely sub-MOA and capable of shooting 1000 yards. The advantage of reloading is being able to fine tune the loads to your particular gun, save money and help it's performance.

Will it out-shoot a custom? Probably not BUT a custom is going to cost more, even on the lower end. Remington 700 action $450-$500, truing $150-$200, barrel $350, barrel chambering and install $350, trigger $150, cheap stock and bedding $500-600 (just the bedding is $250-$300). Go with a nice stock and it's higher, bedding is going to be the same regardless. You're easily into the gun $1400 without the stock and bedding. A complete low end custom is easily going to run $2000. If you're looking to go this route, give Chad Dixon a call at LongRifles Inc., he might have something sitting on the shelf.

I started my 5R .308 project 4-5 years ago as a first step into the long range rifle arena. Out of the box it was a better shooter than I was with an affordable fixed power SWFA scope. Since then I've added a Kahntrol clamp on muzzle brake, a KRG bolt lift, a few other pieces and a lot of ammo and together we now do a pretty good job out to 900-1000 yards. I shot the 2014 Mammoth Sniper Challenge with it feeding rounds into the top (which I don't advise) and I just got it back this week from LongRifles Inc where they fitted this Surgeon bottom metal. The 5R is tough to beat for the money out of the box and it's a great rifle to build on. DBM Full Crop.jpgDBM Close Crop.jpg

Last edited:
First things first a 5r is a great rifle out of the box. That being said, if you plan on getting a remington action trued (I've done this and wish I had taken others advice then), you'll be spending about the same amount as a custom action. A lot of the custom actions out there are basically improvements on the remington 700 action. I now run a Surgeon 591 and in comparison to my trued 700, the 700 feel like hammered dog shit (they do feel better the more rounds you put through them - were talking thousands though).
Stiller would be a great action on the cheaper side of the custom actions out there and a solid starting point.
Another option might be to check out the classifieds here and skip the wait all together from the smith.

I started my long range interest with a rem 5R in a 308. I started to shoot out to 1000 yards. My x-mark trigger sucked and couldn't be adjusted.
The HS stock also did not fit me well. Yes it was a great starter gun, but I did not know of the forums I'm on currently.

If I had to do things over again knowing I would be shooting 1000 yards. I would have built my 6.5 CM first. I never shoot my 308 now.
If you stick with long range shooting, you will buy a different gun at some point. I would try to find a donor action and customize from there. Unless the 5r is everything you want, save your money