• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 caliber change: 300 RSAUM to 260 Rem.

lordgoda

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2010
Germany
I need some help from you. I have a Remington 700 Police LTR rifle with a Jewell trigger, a Harris bipod and a Badger picatinny rail in 300 RSAUM. I bought the package because I got it in a very good condition and for a very good price. Now I want to know if it is possible to change the caliber to 260 Rem. I know that I need a new bolt and a new barrel. But I think that the short action should fit? Do I need a new magazine or does the original magazine work with the new caliber? Can you change the barrel while the (bedded) rail stays on the action? Or is it possible to load the 300 RSAUM to lower velocities? Ammunition for the 300 RSAUM seems almost impossible to get in Germany.
I really like the small and lite rifle and it would be great for hunting. But the calibre seems a bit to much and is very difficult to get over here.
Another possibility would be to sell my great Tikka T3 Tatical in 308 to buy a Tikka T3 Varmint in 260 Rem but I am not sure if this would be a good deal. What do you think? I have to say that I have got two custom 308s and an AI AE MK III in 308. It would be really kind to get some answers from you!

roedale there in Germany makes a Tikka switch barrel kit like Savage uses with a nut. even sells .260 barrels for tikka's, action wrenches, etc. so you could rebarrel to .260 on the T3 yourself.

yeah. just a bolt / barrel change

NSS has advertised rem/age barrels in stock. Rem pre-fits using savage nuts so you can switch calibers on the Rem action.

Remington - Pre-Fit Rem/Age Barrels

that way you could change back if rsaum ammo ever comes more available