• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 civilian vs. military cocking piece

Trespasser

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
I have noticed that the cocking piece on M40A3 and A5 is all black. From what I've learned, Quantico receives the Remington action in a 'blank' form. The end of the cocking piece on a civilian Rem 700 has a machined finish on all the rifles I've seen. Does somebody know if the USMC rifles are machined with a black oxide finish over top or simply not machined? Why does Remington choose to machine these in the first place?

Pictures:

GAP M40A5

_MG_1633.jpg

Rem 700 SPS Varmint

4263003051_5f1c43fe78_z.jpg

The black on the M40aX rifles we mfg is cerakote.

You can have a smith take the bolt apart for you and just have it painted if you dont care for the cocking piece metal in white.

The reason what you see on M40's is black is because it is blued with the rest of the rifle during the refinishing process. We receive them in the raw.

The reason what you see on M40's is black is because it is blued with the rest of the rifle during the refinishing process. We receive them in the raw.

Please make sure I have this straight. Remington ships the bare steel, unmachined, actions to Quantico. While Remington normally machines the end of the cocking piece (for whatever reason,) it is not machined by the PWS. After the machine work is done, the bolt, bolt plug, cocking piece, and receiver get a black oxide finish. (The barrel does too, but that is not from Remington.)

Is that right?

Dont mean to hijack your thread, but let me ask... What is marked on the M40 barrels? Also, are these rifles still being issues with the legacy Surefire suppressors with the overlapping muzzle breaks, or are they using the SOCOM cans?

Please make sure I have this straight. Remington ships the bare steel, unmachined, actions to Quantico. While Remington normally machines the end of the cocking piece (for whatever reason,) it is not machined by the PWS. After the machine work is done, the bolt, bolt plug, cocking piece, and receiver get a black oxide finish. (The barrel does too, but that is not from Remington.)

Is that right?

Whether we do a NEW build (new, from Remington, run of the mill every day off the shelf action) or a REBUILD (Using usually only the receiver itself from an earlier model/needing rebuilt gun) we are using actions that come on every short action M700 out there. They do have to meet certain specs & they do get modified as well...

We DO NOT make cocking pieces for M40's... We only modify and refinish Remington's cocking piece.

The barrel gets proof marked after Proof/Function/Accuracy testing.

Legacy Surefire breaks & cans...

The cocking piece is machined, as you term it, on all of the actions otherwise it would be a block of steel.

What you are asking about is the difference in finish, commercial rifles get a shiny silver finish, chrome maybe, while military rifles such as the M24 cocking piece is coated with thermal set dry film lube by Remington, M40 as discussed above.

OK. I think I got it now. Thanks guys.

One more question while Wheres-Waldo is around: Does the PWS use the revised McMillan A4 stocks with the one thumb screw on new builds? They did a redesign about a year to year-and-a-half ago from a two thumb screw adjustable cheek piece to one thumb screw.

They have a stock pile of new two screw cheek piece stocks, when they are gone (who knows when) they will have to go to the single screw. Just getting that info from someone you frequents the shop at Quantico.