• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 gunsmiths in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin?

Kaneljo3000

Private
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2019
Live in Chicago northern burbs. Looking to remove factory barrel to do remage conversion and would prefer ftf instead of shipping out. Thanks in advance.

Live in Chicago northern burbs. Looking to remove factory barrel to do remage conversion and would prefer ftf instead of shipping out. Thanks in advance.

If you’re not concerned with keeping the barrel in good working order, you can use a dremel or a hacksaw to cut a groove 1/8in in front of the recoil lug to relieve the pressure on the shoulder, then unscrew it by hand.

You might contact John Thomas at RetroArmsWorks here: http://www.retroarmsworks.com/ . He's in Warsaw, IL, though. I had him do a couple of AR-15 projects for me last year, great work from him and pretty fast turnaround. Doesn't just do retro stuff, I'm sure he could help you out.

Last edited:
Andy is the man you need to see . Fair in price and fast turnaround . has work on two rifles for me and both are just great .

I am in central illinous. I can promise you would enjoy your visit if you made the drive. Lee Gardner Precision
Central Illinois is very large.Do you think you can narrow it down a little bit. I would be willing to drive to you if I new were I was going.