• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remington 700: help needed

hunterboy56

Private
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2011
Georgia
I'm trying to replace the firing pin and spring on my Remmy 700, but the cross pin will not budge. Using a 1/16" punch following Brownell's suggestion, but it isn't working. Any suggestions?

Re: Remington 700: help needed

Try driving it out the other side. The hole is bigger on one side than the other.

If looking at the rear of the sear as if it is in the rifle, I'm driving left to right. Is it uniform which side is larger?\

With a candle or cigarette lighter warm the outer part about a half inch away from the stubborn pin. Then drift it out.

I combined the heat with a 3/32 punch and got it drove out. I was driving from the right side, it was just a tight fit. Thanks for all the help guys.

I picked up a .223 that had been less than taken care of to say the least. The whole firing pin assembly had a ligtht coat of RUSTY grease on it when I pulled it out. The cross pin was froze in pretty good I soaked it over night in Hoppes and then put a little heat to it (after I wiped it off) and it stubbornly drove out the next day.
I also had a rifle where someone had put red threadlocker on the cross pin and that one was fun!!!