• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 identification? Mountain rifle?

BadBowtie03

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2010
Palmetto, FLA
Hey everyone, I bought a rifle from a guy yesterday and its a .25-06 700. Ive always wanted this caliber and this one was unique. It has a detachable magazine and nice wood stock with the raised comb. Got it with two mags too! He said it was a “mountain rifle”? Serial number starts with a D. Does anyone know what I got exactly? Value? Thanks

Attachments

• 6A8FF42B-D1B4-450A-972C-1B68B51DE7D7.jpeg
    6A8FF42B-D1B4-450A-972C-1B68B51DE7D7.jpeg
    429.9 KB · Views: 748
  • 8730E1D0-EE12-4C51-BEA5-7025BB372C00.jpeg
    8730E1D0-EE12-4C51-BEA5-7025BB372C00.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 490
  • 5081028B-E60A-4775-9D8C-90C13A0E16EF.jpeg
    5081028B-E60A-4775-9D8C-90C13A0E16EF.jpeg
    555.7 KB · Views: 704
You won't know until you try it. I believe the factory detachable mag 700's can be hit or miss function wise.

I’m just curious mainly what exactly the model is etc… I had never seen one with this nice detachable magazine like this from the factory. Didnt know if it was rare/desirable etc.

Maybe I'm retarded, but I thought all the mountain rifles had stainless barrels (I've got a 30.06 Mountain LSS)?

Mine is a blued barrel
Stock also has a very narrow forend

Reactions: amcardon
I think he is correct, that looks like a “Mountain Rifle DM”. My buddy has the same rifle as you in 25-06 and I have seen a few in 280.

Edit: I might be wrong. What’s the barrel length on yours?

Last edited:
That is the DM Mountain Rifle.
I've got the Stainless version with the plastic stock in 280 Rem.
Very nice rifles.

I know a guy with a little 2-7x Leupold that would pair nicely with that rifle...

Reactions: powdahound76
Remington Mountain Rifles that are blued and walnut stock should have a 22" barrel, short action and long action.
Muzzle diameter should be approx 0.550 without open sights.
The first couple years of production only had hinged floor plate, BDL style.
Remington started offering the Detachable Magazine in the later years.

I had nothing but issues with a 700DM in 260Rem. Bought a B&C stock and had CDI inlet for their BM and AICS mags and all was well. I did this the same time time GAP came out with their Nontypical. Guess I built the knockoff and didn’t know it at the time.

Honestly your gun looks like a BDL DM. Barrel doesn’t look like it tapers very much, appears to be a sporter contour instead of M7/Mountain rifle contour.

700 BDL DM

The barrel code will determine the year .

That’s not a BDL stock. Maybe someone dropped a different barreled action into that stock. OP, can you tell us the muzzle diameter?

• Haha
Reactions: Haney
BDL DM

I was thinking it was odd because of no white spacers, but looks like the BLD DM's didn't have them.

ETA: And from that link, the CDL didn't either.

That’s not a BDL stock. Maybe someone dropped a different barreled action into that stock. OP, can you tell us the muzzle diameter?
Stop PMing me . You are wrong, deal with it . You need to do your own Quality research . You do realize things change from year to year , correct ?

Reactions: spife7980
Ok. I was trying to have an adult conversation with you; I guess that’s not possible.

We'd need to see more of the muzzle end, especially with the barrel/camera angle making it look like the barrel gets bigger, not smaller. ;) But seeing what we can see, I'd vote not a Mountain Rifle, just a BDL-DM.
Could be wrong for sure though, that's one tricky photo.

Mountain rifle will have a barrel that is thinner than a sporter
This.

Maybe I'm retarded, but I thought all the mountain rifles had stainless barrels (I've got a 30.06 Mountain LSS)?
I have a rem 700 mountain rifle in 270 win. Blued barrel.
Barrel definitely gets very thin. Does this picture help?

It’s just a rem 700 with a less than sporter contour barrel, and a detachable magazine.

Mine shoots tight little groups so long as I manage the barrel heat. Good for hiking, in the mountains. Not one I would take to a PRS match.

I’m sure I’ll get corrected on this, but the walnut stocked mountain rifles I have owned and/or seen had a satin finish; not the gloss finish that the BDLs had.

I should have called you on Friday evening. I was just down the street at Joe's shooting hogs. Could have looked at it in person.

Either way, looking at that image, yeah it's a mountain rifle. It does look like they changed the stock finish to a more satin look from the previous gloss finish.
They could be had with an “European finish” which did away with the glossy poly coat in favor of a finish that mimics an oiled finish. Mine has that “European finish.” Circa 1993-1994. Hinged floor plate.

I’m sure I’ll get corrected on this, but the walnut stocked mountain rifles I have owned and/or seen had a satin finish; not the gloss finish that the BDLs had.
They could be had with an “European finish” which did away with the glossy poly coat in favor of a finish that mimics an oiled finish. Mine has that “European finish.” Circa 1993-1994. Hinged floor plate.

I think saying gloss to satin finish was poor wording choice.

BDLs were GLOSSY, and I do mean high polish looking finish.
Original MR were a softer satin finish and later ones could be had with that nice oil finish.

The skinny, sight free barrels were usually really good shooters, but not made for continual firing.
A buddy of mine in Idaho (circa 95) had an original one with the satin finish in 280. It would hold 4 shots together, and then climb up and left.
He sent it to 300° Below and when it came back it no longer wandered.

The thing was a joy to carry in the mountains.

A CDL is a BDL . Fact....They came in all kinds of configurations , unless you only shop at walmart .

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/957772928

The difference in the CDL/BDL is always the stock design. The CDL uses the stock lines of the Classic series, which was an annual limited production in only the chosen caliber for that year. The BDL uses the bulkier lines of old with white line spacers and a rosewood tip and grip cap. Also, BDL (older ones) have iron sights.

The Mountain Rifle uses the Classic shape that has been slimmed down. At first glance, they look the same. Put them in your hands and you can feel the difference immediately.

Reactions: tlear
The rifle in your link is a 700 Classic; not sure why the seller has “BDL CDL” in the title. Probably so it shows up when people do a search.

People confuse BDL because of the floor plate/magazine setup.
Many believe if it has the drop down floor plate, it's a BDL.

I can see why, because if anyone is selling the hardware, it's listed as a BDL floor plate because they are literally the same thing.
The differences are in the stock design, barrel diameters and addition or lack of iron sights.

Add in that some of the Classic series had iron sights like the 350 Rem Mag and IIRC the 8mm Mauser.

Confusion sets in.

Then, you get the people swapping parts around and it gets damn near impossible to tell left from right.
Hell, I can make an ADL look just like a BDL by swapping the stock and bottom metal.
Anyone in the know will immediately spot the lack of finish luster on the blued metal.
Most won't know the difference.

And then there's the absolutists....

Reactions: tlear and Austan
I forgot about that model- the 700 Mountain Rifle DM with a gold ring Leupold was my absolute grail gun when I was a kid reading Outdoor Life!

Reactions: hseII and Modoc
The easy button is to buy a $5 caliper and slap it on the end of the barrel to get a diameter reading. No guess work.

Reactions: hseII
I forgot about that model- the 700 Mountain Rifle DM with a gold ring Leupold was my absolute grail gun when I was a kid reading Outdoor Life!
I am putting a little bit older VX3i 30mm on it. 14x with the varminters reticle. Guns is extremely light. If it shoots great might become my dedicated coyote and deer rifle. 25-06 seems to bridge that gap I think. I hope its a shooter.

Reactions: Red_SC
This is definitely a 700 Mountain Rifle DM.

22” lighter profile barrel. The stock looks similar to a BDL/CDL but is thinner in the wrist and forearm. The RMR also had ebony forend tip, “dot” above the trigger, and a different recoil pad. All of these traits are exhibited in the photo above. There will also be a pressure pad in the barrel channel as the barrels tended to be whippy.

Reactions: tlear
It is possible, really: if you believe my wife I am too.

Regarding the 700 Mountain Rifles, they came in blued & stainless.

Reactions: amcardon
The 700 classics didn't have the ebony tip on the ones I have or had. I don't remember seeing the ebony tips without white spacers on anything other than the mountain version. But I didn't pay attention after the 90's.

Classics (actual limited production Classics) had walnut stocks without any tips, caps or spacers.

As time went on the quality of the finish diminished. They began as highly polished and blued metal with high polish wood.
In the later years, they began looking more like ADL finish work

Hey everyone, I bought a rifle from a guy yesterday and its a .25-06 700. Ive always wanted this caliber and this one was unique. It has a detachable magazine and nice wood stock with the raised comb. Got it with two mags too! He said it was a “mountain rifle”? Serial number starts with a D. Does anyone know what I got exactly? Value? Thanks
I picked up a .25-06 identical to this for cheap because someone had cut an inch and a half or so off the butt of the stock to shorten it, probably for a kid to hunt with. They also had epoxy beaded the stock and it’s a shooter but I’m looking to upgrade to a agcomposites carbon stock. I’m pretty sure it’s definitely a mountain but I’m looking for barrel profile specs to ensure I purchase the right stock. Does anyone know where I can find them?

Might try and find a copy of the blue book they usually have decent descriptions. Funny thing is some companies do so many exclusive and small runs that there isn't always good info on them.