• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 in 300 Rum Extended Wyatts Magazine box

Northern Viking

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2019
I have a Remington 700 in 300 RUM, and added the Wyatts Extended Mag Box. The back of the action was machined for the extended box and I am now able to comfortable extend out those nice long bullets. Issue now is the first round in the box when fed almost always "jumps" out of the action and creates a stove pipe??? Jam, has anyone had any experience similar with this? Rifle is really coming together, stock, Trigger Tech Trigger, One piece pic rail, threaded for brake and it is shooting very accurate. It likes RETUMBO but I need this feeding fixed. (MBE-3 kit)

back end jumps out early and jams up

Attachments

• rum jam.jpg
    rum jam.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 37
Tweak the feed lips. Open the front or close the back so it has to slide forward and doesn't pop out back first.

Without seeing it, it's hard to determine which one to start with. I'd error towards closing the back up, but you'll need to play with it.

That’s really cool to see someone adapting one of the ultra-mags to the modern sleek bullets of today. I’ve been doing that with the 7 SAUM to a small extent and want to play with my 300 WSMs here soon. The RUM cartridges must be vicious when tuned correctly.

Reactions: Northern Viking
That’s really cool to see someone adapting one of the ultra-mags to the modern sleek bullets of today. I’ve been doing that with the 7 SAUM to a small extent and want to play with my 300 WSMs here soon. The RUM cartridges must be vicious when tuned correctly.
Stretching it out as far as I can and with 215 grain Bergers @ almost 3200 fps it do hit hard.

Reactions: TrevK
Yeah, that’ll put some energy on target way out there and cut the wind nicely. That’s what I love about the ultra mags and short magnums, they’re quite the speed demons.

I can imagine! I’m right across the border in the Dakotas and have been seeing plenty of moose traipsing around. The Hornady podcast guys kinda challenged someone (ep. 97) to shoot a coyote with their new 30 cal 174gr ELD-VT bullet and report back the results. Something like a 300 RUM or 300 PRC would work nicely for such an experiment.

I can imagine! I’m right across the border in the Dakotas and have been seeing plenty of moose traipsing around. The Hornady podcast guys kinda challenged someone (ep. 97) to shoot a coyote with their new 30 cal 174gr ELD-VT bullet and report back the results. Something like a 300 RUM or 300 PRC would work nicely for such an experiment.
ELDV bullet??

I just heard about them a few days ago on their podcast. Pretty interesting for coyote hunting, especially in the 6mm ARC. Their initial line up includes that 174gr 30 cal. To paraphrase the podcast: “a listener out there needs to load this in a 300 PRC and shoot a coyote”. Reading your thread here on the 300 RUM brought that to mind.

Reactions: Northern Viking