• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 LTR .308

Re: Remington 700 LTR .308

I bought one used on here a couple years ago and I thought it shot great - around 3/4 MOA. Just put a good crown on it and it was good to go. I also liked the 20" barrel. Great for hunting chucks : )

I sold when a custom I was working on was finished - probably should have kept that one.

Good luck,
JamieD
Wolf Precision

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine shoots better than I can. </div></div>

+1

It will shoot 1/2 MOA with Fed GMM when I do my part.

Rifle shoots better than I can. It is capable of 1/2 MOA with the right load / ammo.

There may be some other options for you. What do you intend to do with it?

My LTR with handlods will shoot 1/2 MOA or better. Congrats on your new stick.

My 308 LTR will shoot 1/2 MOA. The action is bedded;, it has bedded Badger BM; a Badger bolt knob; some other minor functionality modifications; and a trigger adjusted to about ~3.5#. When I bought it I went to a wholesaler and checked out about 20 rifles (I was not very popular) until I found the smoothest and "best" action; I think this made a big difference.

It's a nice rifle that I have gotten a lot of enjoyment from; eventually I grew out of it. Or maybe my shooting tastes changed?

Its a great all-around package. Guaranteed at 1MOA or better and test fired at remington to ensure it meets the standard before shipping, unlike the general production models.

The finish is better than the usual matte blue. One other nice thing about the LTR is that the fluting and shorter barrel ensure that it is a pretty versatile platform that you wont mind humping in the field for a while.

Starting out with an LTR and kept it even after going custom route on a Surgeon action. I just can't part with it due to the handiness of the short barrel and the fact that it just plains shoot anything you put through it.

The action on mine was rough (mainly from the parkerized finish) and the trigger was very heavy. After 1K rounds, the action has smoothed up. Recoil is somewhat more snappy (if that is a term) than a full out heavy barreled rig but it will suffice for many areas including target shooting and hunting. Camming/Timing on the bolt is not perfect. I have a rather decent size gouge on the bolt handle where receiver meets bolt when camming....Worse than older Remington that I own.

I love mine. One of these days I'll start handloading for it but for now I'm having to buy ammo. The Hornady Tap and M118 actually shot a little better in mine than the FGMM.

edit to ad: Like inode mentioned the action was a little rough when new. I don't have near 1000rds through mine yet an it is smoothing out quite nicely. It came with an Xmark trigger which I replaced with a Timney. Only other change I had done was a BO bolt handle installed by Hooper.

I have one in a manners stock,when im having a very good day I can cover up my group with a nickle at 100 yds

I have 2 LTRs.
One with a 3x9 Zeiss Conquest is used for hunting from climbiing stands. I shoot 125NBT handloads for deer.
The other has a Leup. MK4 6.5x20 and Jewell trigger.
It is used for target work and hunting from elevated box stands.
I use 165grn Sierra Game Kings for LR deer and hogs.
Both great rifles.

Coach

Hi rimfire
With mine I found for hunting purposes (factory ammo) the 165gn remington coreloke to be very accurate (cloverleaf groups @ 100m),I have only used factory ammo as I'm unable to reload my own at the moment.

glad i read this post....have my new scope, rings, and bipod being painted to match the paint on my ltr....then i finally get to shoot it....what factory ammo have you guys been putting through your ltr's that shoots well and is good for hunting

I have an LTR and absolutely hate the stock. It is not comfortable to shoot and it being non adjustable makes it even more unappealing. Just my opinion.

The 5R stock is much worse. Plenty of times I wish I had an LTR just for the stock. Different strokes for different folks.

Love those LTR's. Mine went from this last November;

DSCF1110.jpg

To this today:

DSCF1566.jpg

The only thing I have not changed was the barrel and the action. And I'm going to sending it off for a new barrel shortly.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blklabs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine shoots better than I can. </div></div>

+2

I have two USR's that are similar to the LTR, but upgraded a little. Consistently 1/2 & sometimes under.

BobinNC said:
Love those LTR's. Mine went from this last November;

DSCF1110.jpg

Bob,
Do you still have the green LTR stock? I'm looking for a green to replace the black so my PSS andLTR match.
John

Rimfire,
The LTR I own shot the 4th 5th and 6th rounds I ever fired. From it into .108, M118LR. Gotta love that. I'm impressed with mine.

Out of the box when it comes back from Patriot, or out of the box from Remington? LOL.

My LTR barreled action shot great, but it had been bedded into a Manners T4 and had a Rifle Basix trigger installed. The barreled action was stock, and shot great, but I never fired it before having Jered bed it into the Manners and do some other work.

It is back at his shop for the full APA treatment. Cant wait to get it back.

I love mine like you it was my first 308 rifle I have had some minor work done but adding the B&C Medalist A5 stock really made it comfortable to shoot accuracy was never a problem but the stock really hooked it up.