• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 LTR vs 700 SPS Tactical?

jp0319

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2009
NC, USA
hello All,
I'm really wanting to get a medium range tactical rifle. I have been looking at the Remington 700 SPS tactical and 700 LTR. I e-mailed my local gun store in the states about pricing. They quoted me $629 for the SPS and $1029 for the LTR. Is the LTR that much nicer than the SPS to warrant the $400 difference? I know the LTR has an HS precision stock and a fluted barrel but is that what makes it more expensive? I want a nice base rifle and I'm inclined to go with the SPS for the price but I just want to make sure I pick the best of the two.

Thanks,
JP

Re: Remington 700 LTR vs 700 SPS Tactical?

The LTR has a nice parkerized finish as opposed to the cheap black oxide on the SPS. There is also a good chance it might have the much nicer 40x trigger.

If you like the H-S Precision stock the LTR comes with, it may be worth it. If you don't intend to keep the stock, I'd certainly go with the SPS.

Odds are, you won't just love either stock. Odds are you won't love either trigger.

So basically what the LTR if you don't love the stock/trigger is fluting and a nicer finish.

Fluting does nothing for me and offers no significant advantage. Neither does the finish, honestly.

Take the money you save by going with the SPS Tac and spend it toward a Manners stock of your choice and a Timney trigger. Also, you should be able to get the SPS for less than $629 if you shop around.

I'll probibly end up with a different stock no matter the route, like the manners you noted. If there is no appreciable difference between the two performance wise I'll go SPS. I have herd very good things about the LTR in the past but if the SPS has the same over all performance at less price then i'm fine with that.

JP

Bud's has the SPS tactical for $581 at the moment. I believe that includes shipping, too.

I went with the LTR and dropped in a Jewell trigger added a MK IV scope, great package.
Light weight, easy handling, short bbl, sub-MOA accuracy.
I have used the LTR from a climbing tree stand out to 300yds.
for deer.

Coach

looks like I'm going with the SPS AAC-SD, I e-mailed my dealer a couple hours ago about it. I'll use the money saved on a nice stock. I have an initial idea from all the reading I've been doing of what to start with, and some questions about others hopefully you guys can help a bit. I have never been big into the precision type rifles mostly into the AR platform so most of this is new to me.

Remy 700 SPS
HS Precision Adjustable stock (Basicly an M24 stock)
SWFA 10x42 HD Mil Quad Reticle or Vortex Viper PST 6-20 EBR 1 MOA Reticle
Harris or Bobro Bipod
Badger Ord Bolt Knob
Badger Ord Scope rail
Badger Ord Scope Rings
Trigger???

That's the initial cut at the plan.

Some things I am unsure of:

Trigger: I know of Timney, and Jewell triggers from when I was growing up my dad spoke of them then and I have seen them discussed on here too but I don't know what is preferred or optimal for me?

Scope Base: I see 20 MOA this, 30 MOA that when referring to scope bases but what do I need? I understand that the extra MOA gives you more adjustment for longer ranges but I don't know what is optimal for me?

Optics: The Optics I listed are what I consider good starting points for an initial rifle for me to learn on what I am most confused with are the choices in reticles. What do I choose there are so many different types and then seperated by MOA or MRAD?

I don't know what I need at this point? Thanks for the help.

JP

I have a SPS Tac AAC-SD and it is shooting consistent sub .5 MOA. Mostly in the .3's. If you want your rifle to be a one hole shooter, this is what i have done and highly suggest:

Timney 510 trigger: It is a wide trigger, but it breaks clean at about 2 lbs with no play. Much better than the Mark X-Pro IMPO. It took me 5 min to install and i was amazed at the difference.

McRee Precision Modular Stock: This is a "buy once, cry once" investment. But I assure you that it is the last stock that you will EVER have to buy as long as your shooting a Rem 700 SA. You can customize the entire stock to your exact needs.

Leupold MK4 Tactical Scope: I do a lot of range est. using the mil dots, so i decide to pay a little more and get a FFP scope. I am a huge fan of Leupold's TMR (Tactical Milling Reticle). There is a small opening right where the cross hairs meet so that you don't obscure your target when shooting. Just put what you want to shoot at inside the small gap and send your round.

Badger Ordinance Scope Rings and 20 MOA Scope base: You get what you pay for when it comes to buying Badger Ordinance products. I use them on my rifle in the Corps and as much as that thing gets knocked around, they have proven themselves to be more than enough.

KRG Bolt Knob: I wasn't sure how i would like an enlarged bolt knob since i had never shot with one before, so before spending too much money and ending up with something i didn't like, i decided to go with this product. I'm sticking with it due to how durable it is and how little it costs ($28). There are some great reviews on it done by 8541 Tactical.

Harris Bi-pods: You cant really go wrong with these. I've used them for the past 6-8 years and I've never had a problem with them.

Last but not least, invest in a torque driver. I bought one from Weaver and i really like it. You can use it on everything from your action screws in your stock to your scope ring screws. It is amazing how a accurately torqued weapon preforms compared to one that "feels about right" when you tighten it by hand.

Like I've said, These are the upgrades that I've done to my rifle. I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Before i preformed all the upgrades, i was shooting roughly .75-1MOA groups. These upgrades have nearly doubled the accuracy that i can get out of this weapon system. I preformed all of these upgrades by myself in a relatively short amount of time.

Hope this helps you and if you have any more questions I'd be more than happy to help you out.

Have both - buy the sps and an hs takeoff, punt the hogue stock and stock trigger buy jewell, timney or rifle basix and call it good.

Cegorach said:
The LTR has a nice parkerized finish as opposed to the cheap black oxide on the SPS. There is also a good chance it might have the much nicer 40x trigger[

The LTR & SPS have the exact same trigger. The only differences between the 2 rifles are the stock and the metal finish.

Whether you choose a Rem Varmint, sps, ltr or a standard sporter...All actions and bbls are made on the same machinery to the same specs. The 5R bbls differ as do the 40x action and bbls.

I thnk both are good choices, i just wouldnt go sps dm. The factory hogue stock is a pos and there are no replacements available unless you get seperate mags with an ai stock ($$$$$) or something similar.

Schwartz

I'd mentioned in a different post that I'm getting into precision shooting. Put a Millett 4-26x50 on TPS bases and rings on my 700SPS Tactical, and it's a tack driver as well. Now, I've only pushed it to 300 yards, but will be heading out in a couple weeks to get some distance. I'm not expecting 1000 yard shots with this rifle combination, but I do think with practice I'll be hitting 700's consistently. Zeroed at 100 yards and all the holes were touching, so that's a pretty good sign, and it maintained that sub-MOA out to the 300 yd mark.

I was on a tight budget, so the extra $400 savings between the Tactical and the LTR certainly made the difference for me; especially since I don't care about a fluted barrel, and the stock was going to be replaced later anyway.