• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 magazine spacer

ccollier

Minuteman
Nov 28, 2009
Preston, GA
I have a Remington 700 with the factory BDL bottom metal, in 223 cal. I would like to shoot the 75gr. Amax bullets. When I seat my bullets out far enough to touch the lands, I'm too long to work in the magazine. I'm pretty sure there should be away to remove the spacer at the rear of the magazine to increase the length. I would like to know if any of you have done this, and what would be the best way to go about it? Thanks, Shane

Re: Remington 700 magazine spacer

The spacer is spot welded in and can be removed with a dremmel grinder.

The neatest way to do this is buy a 308 magazine box and replace your 223 magazine box.

Replacing the 223 box is cheap, works good, looks good and you have the option of going back to the 223 length magazine.

Good shooting
Ron

Ron,

I wondered if that might be a possibility. Is the 308 box the same width as the 223? I'd think it would be wider. Would I also need to get a new follower?

You will need a new follower if you cut the spacer out of the 223 box or use a 308 box.

The 223 box is a 308 box with a spacer added.

The 223 follower is shorter than the 308 follower to work in the shorter box. It could have different contour to hold the larger 308 cartridge on the rail, I have not measured them to see for sure.

If you need a little more room, you can replace the steel spacer in the 223 box with a plastic spacer and keep the 223 follower. The 223 follower will work in a somewhat longer box. It is a cut and fit operation where you can glue the plastic spacer in when/if you get everything to work. Notice one side of the magazine box is free to flex.

Modifying magazines can get to be a major problem; like stepping in a pool of water where you can't see the bottom. The parts are cheap and available for the 223/308 box and follower. Buy a 308 box or box and follower and experiment on that, your cost is limited and you can always go back to original.

Good luck
Ron

I had a 223 LTR rebarrelled around a yr ago. Set it up to shoot the Hornady 75gr BTSP. Wanted bottom of the bearing surface of the bullet to seat even with bottom of neck. Had the barrell throated accordingly. But when I shoot the 75gr Amax's I have got one long 223 round( Should have set rifle up for them, but a lesson learned). Cut spacer out with a cutting wheel, shortened it and welded it back with a tig welder. Now it will feed the longer rounds. Using the original follower also. krw

I think I'm going to order me a 308 box, follower, and spring and give it a try. I don't have a way to tig weld the spacer back if I cut it loose from my 223 magazine. I'm sure there are several ways to do this. I just hope the 308 box and follower does not have to be modified. I also wonder if there will be a down side to having too much room in the magazine?

There is always a down side to having a magazine that is too big.

The cartridges need to stay lined up for feeding and it is hard to load a magazine that is too big.

I don't know how much room you need, but I suspect your best chance will be with a 308 box blocked off with a plastic spacer and your original 223 follower and spring.

If you can't find plastic, you could use hardwood for a spacer.

For size you can use the spacer in the 223 box for a pattern to make a trial spacer and cut it down as necessary.

Good shooting
Ron

Ron,

So I'll plan on ordering just a 308 box, and try to put a spacer in just large enough to load my bullets. Thanks for your help. If any one else has any ideas that have worked for them I'd like to hear them. Shane

Shane,
This is a simple mod. Sounds like you want to go with a new mag box - that's fine. Removing the factory spacer is a simple proposition though should you choose to go that route.

PM Me your address, and I'll mail you a section of 1/4" Aluminum that you can JB weld to the back of your mag box. Use your factory spring and follower. Those of us that run 223ai's have modded our boxes in a similar fashion. This will allow the use of the longer bullets.

So i just picked up a used 223 vtr that's been messed with by an idiot. The stock is jacked. I have a Hogue stock from a 308 sps with the box, follower, and spring. I figure I can use the stock, 308 box, 223 follower, and get a new spring.

From what i read above, a 1/4" piece of aluminum stock can take the place of the crappy steel block.

Thoughts?