• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 MLR 338 build complete!

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
Shooters,

We just finished a Remington 700 338 build for a customer and wanted to show some pictures off.

There were a few issues we encountered with the Badger EFR with this Bartlein MTU contour barrel. As you can see in the pictures we had to recontour the barrel just aft of the EFR to get the barrel down to around 1.100". Also, this was a second hand McMillan stock, so we had to chew out all the old bedding and pillars, and start over. Overall everything turned out great, it is one long rifle!!

Remington 700
-Enhanced Action Truing Package
-Fitted and installed PTG one piece bolt
-Badger tac bolt knob
-Badger recoil lug
-Badger 20 MOA recoil lug
-Badger M5 CIP bottom metal

Bartlein MTU 1-9" 338 cal barrel
-Chambered 338 Lapua with our Match reamer
-Cut to around 29", threaded 5/8 x 24 TPI with APA Fat bastard brake. Best brake on the market!!!

McMillan A5 Adjustable stock
-Full epoxy pillar bedding job with Devcon
-Bedded Badger EFR

Patriot Brown Cerakote with Graphite Black accents.

The bipod on this rifle is made from Dave Kohnow at Long Range Accuracy. This bipod is extremely solid and allows the rifle to swivel in order to get leveled with the terrain. Also, there are 4 positions for the legs. 90 Degrees, a position for high angle shooting, 45 Degrees and 180 Degrees for storage or travel. These are put together very well and work extremely well.

Thanks for looking!!!

Mark

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3347.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3351.jpg

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3350.jpg

IMG_3354.jpg

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3356.jpg

Re: Remington 700 MLR 338 build complete!

Mark, what is your opinion on that bipod setup? Are they worth the coin? I am thinking one might be appropriate on my 408CT... My Harris is struggling to hold up the physical weight right now and without claw feet its scooting all over the place! Can't be having that.

Oh, and you know I see a typo "20moa Badger recoil lug"
laugh.gif

Come on Merlin!!!!

Awesome job, suddenly wishing my MLR was to the same spec! Would love to see a range report if you managed to get it sighted in for your customer?

Mark, If you need that contour on the barrels for that front rail on the stock for clearance etc.....

We have the program in the cnc lathes.

Just ask for it when you order barrels.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I have one of those bipods from David at Long Range Accuracy, and it is well worth the coin!!! I am going to do a side by side comparison of the Harris, Atlas & Long Range Accuracy bipods soon on the forums.

Great looking build Mark. Those Fat Bastards really are the shizzle!

Dang!!! "Joe Dirt",Great looking stick the patriot brown is sweet

Sweat looking hope she shoots as good as she looks

I keep coming back to look!! Nice Rifle!!!

I will be picking the the rifle from Mark this Friday. He's also done a 308 for me that is almost a clone of this one. It shoots great so I'm excited to see how this one does. I was unhappy with the standard MLR when I first got it due to the 360 style brake and the 24" barrel. It seemed a struggle to get 25xx fps with 300 smks. Hopefully I can see 2850 fps with this setup. One thing for sure Mark will be doing all my builds in the future.

Looks like a nice set up. What does the bolt face look like after you open it up for the lapua? What kind of extractor is there room for? Also, I've seen these holes in the side of some remington receivers, but not all. What are they for? Thanks the pictures and info!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_3356.jpg
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McFred</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like a nice set up. What does the bolt face look like after you open it up for the lapua? What kind of extractor is there room for? Also, I've seen these holes in the side of some remington receivers, but not all. What are they for? Thanks the pictures and info!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Gordon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
IMG_3356.jpg
</div></div> </div></div>

He didn't open up the face of the bolt. If you read his description, you will notice that he used a PTG one piece bolt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: psmith</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will be picking the the rifle from Mark this Friday. He's also done a 308 for me that is almost a clone of this one. It shoots great so I'm excited to see how this one does. I was unhappy with the standard MLR when I first got it due to the 360 style brake and the 24" barrel. It seemed a struggle to get 25xx fps with 300 smks. Hopefully I can see 2850 fps with this setup. One thing for sure Mark will be doing all my builds in the future. </div></div>

Nice one, be sure to post a range report when you get a chance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mark, what is your opinion on that bipod setup? Are they worth the coin? I am thinking one might be appropriate on my 408CT... My Harris is struggling to hold up the physical weight right now and without claw feet its scooting all over the place! Can't be having that. </div></div>

My take on them is that they're more than first rate. I have 2 right now and run them on anything that I can. For a 408CT with the troubles that you're having, there's really no comparison between them.

It is hands down, the most stable bipod I've ever shot from, its much more like shooting from a rest than a bipod.

As KYS338 stated, a PTG bolt was used for the build, to give you an idea what a Remington 700 bolt face looks like when set up for the 338 Lapua, take a look at this thread http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2669517&page=21 PTG probably used their M16 mini extractor with that fluted bolt http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/products/parts/remington.htm#Link916563C0. Those holes you see in the side of the receiver are for a Redfield scope base. Most Remington 700 receivers are not drilled and tapped for them.