• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 P trigger questions/options

Trigger Time 23

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2012
Colorado
I have a Remington 700 P which I would like to have the trigger set to 2 lbs and I have a few questions.

Is the trigger on this rifle adjustable to the 2 lbs?

If it is adjustable is this something I can do myself? I have read a lot of stuff on the internet about adjusting the 700 trigger and it seems simple, but am I asking for trouble?

Would it be better to just replace the factory trigger with an aftermarket such as a Timney?

If I have a gunsmith adjust the current trigger roughly how much would it cost?

I did a search and was not able to find these answers, hopefully this has not been asked recently. Thanks for everyone's help.

Re: Remington 700 P trigger questions/options

There's a possibility you'll get a safe 2lb trigger from it, not something that I'd want to spend the $75 on asking a good gunsmith to do with the potential that he wasn't going to be able to make it a reality.

A Timney 510-series costs about $125 and when you've had enough and want to resell it, it's still worth about $100.

You can install the new one yourself with a bench vise, hammer, and 1/8th inch punch. The first time may take you 10-15 mins.

Thank you bohem for the advice. Kind of the direction I was thinking

I put a Timney trigger in my 700p and love it. Well worth the cost. And I installed it myself.

factory 2LB? Only if you know what your doing. It takes more than turning a few screws to get it right...a new spring for example. One thing you risk is the sear tripping when you close the bolt hard or even going off when you flip the safety off.

If you just have to have 2lb, I'd recommend getting a new trigger or going to 3.5#.

I adjusted my stock 700p trigger down to 2 1/2 pounds .. then it was 1 lb 10 oz.. back to two lbs.. just not consistent.
Replaced with a Timney, 2 lbs 7 oz - 2lbs 8 oz every single time!