• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police 5R .308 question

TommyD11730

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2020
Is the Remington 700 Police 5R .308 barreled action sold by Europtic the same as sold under the 700 Magpul flag?

No. The 700p has a 24 inch barrel and magpul is 22 inches. What flag? The howa has rifles with flags.

Reactions: TommyD11730
Flag, banner, name, brand etc.

Are the 22 and 24 both considered heavy?

Flag, banner, name, brand etc.

Are the 22 and 24 both considered heavy?

They are both branded Remington. They both have direct Remington stock numbers.
700 Magpul - 84293
700 Police 5R Action - 86498

Basically the same thing, one has a 40x and other is X Mark Pro. Magpul has a new style tactical bolt knob. Police might not +2".

Both are remington, I'd get a Tikka, smooth action and a nice factory trigger. :)

Both are remington, I'd get a Tikka, smooth action and a nice factory trigger. :)
How much for a tikka with a 24 inch heavy barrel? How much does a hs precision stock with bottom metal cost for a Tikka? The Remington 700 police is $800. It has the 40x trigger that adjusts down to 1.5 LBs, HS precision stock, and a 24” heavy barrel. Mine shoots sub 1/2 moa groups and the action is smooth as glass. I would love to buy a Tikka but it would cost about $1200 to match those features on the Remington. Maybe you know which tikka has a 24” heavy barrel and a full length aluminum bedded stock for $800 because I will buy it. IMO The OP will be hard pressed to get a better rifle for less money.

Reactions: Crumb
The 86672 shows 24" 1-10T.
The BA from Euro shows 24" 1-11T.

I'm a little confused. I thought they were the "same"?

Reactions: jcmullis2
The 86672 shows 24" 1-10T.
The BA from Euro shows 24" 1-11T.

I'm a little confused. I thought they were the "same"?
The BA doesn’t seem to be the same at all. Do you prefer the 1-10 twist or the 1-11? Obviously Remington has different models of the 700p with different barrel twists and the BA from euro is the 11t. I gotta pic up a 700p in 223 tomorrow and I‘m gonna ask my ffl Dealer about this. If anyone knows it’ll be him and he always has the best prices. You got me wondering too so I’ll let you know what I find out.

Right now I'm just kicking the can down the road, so to speak. I'm tying to soak up as much info before making a purchase.
The 86498 BA would require a stock. In my case I would also want to purchase a external mag conversion kit. I'm guessing the BS is a BDL. So, if you went with a magpul stock/mag that's another 3 bills. So the 24" BA in a magpull stock w/external mag will run you, roughly $950.
I have seen 86672 (700p 24") in the $750 range. Maybe you could get lucky and mod the H.S. stock to fit the magpull kit. So that would cost you roughly $825.

Lastly is the 700 Magpul. Your down 2" to 22" and it also has a different trigger. If you can find one it's a $950 rifle.

So..
I got a lot of thinking to do.

I seen a mag kit to convert the Remington bdl to take mags. The kit is called DETACHABLE MAGAZINE DROP-IN KITS – REMINGTON 700 BDL by legacy sports and cost $69 and includes a magazine.

How much for a tikka with a 24 inch heavy barrel? How much does a hs precision stock with bottom metal cost for a Tikka? The Remington 700 police is $800. It has the 40x trigger that adjusts down to 1.5 LBs, HS precision stock, and a 24” heavy barrel. Mine shoots sub 1/2 moa groups and the action is smooth as glass. I would love to buy a Tikka but it would cost about $1200 to match those features on the Remington. Maybe you know which tikka has a 24” heavy barrel and a full length aluminum bedded stock for $800 because I will buy it. IMO The OP will be hard pressed to get a better rifle for less money.

It would be more I'd guess, but I find it hard to believe a rem 700 is smooth as glass. My tikka's are much smoother than my stiller and almost as smooth as my impact action. You could get a bravo for a lot less than the HS precision and I'd prefer it over the HS precision I sold that came with another rifle. I'd buy a Savage 12 from Cabelas for $400 first. :)

It would be more I'd guess, but I find it hard to believe a rem 700 is smooth as glass. My tikka's are much smoother than my stiller and almost as smooth as my impact action. You could get a bravo for a lot less than the HS precision and I'd prefer it over the HS precision I sold that came with another rifle. I'd buy a Savage 12 from Cabelas for $400 first. :)
Yeah it would be more so you’re comparing apples to oranges. Where’s this bravo that cost less than the hs precision that comes free on the Remington. You need to put your crack pipe down and read what the OP asked. You’re tangential thinking only detracts from his post. We understand that in your world everything except tikka is out. Even custom actions don’t compare blah blah blah. If you actually owned a custom action you would know how pathetic and stupid you sound. Go cycle your bolt and tell yourself how much better it is than everything else. It must be hard for you to understand why the championships are won with those inferior custom actions.

Yeah it would be more so you’re comparing apples to oranges. Where’s this bravo that cost less than the hs precision that comes free on the Remington. You need to put your crack pipe down and read what the OP asked. You’re tangential thinking only detracts from his post. We understand that in your world everything except tikka is out. Even custom actions don’t compare blah blah blah. If you actually owned a custom action you would know how pathetic and stupid you sound. Go cycle your bolt and tell yourself how much better it is than everything else. It must be hard for you to understand why the championships are won with those inferior custom actions.

So my Stiller, Impact and Lone Peak actions aren't "custom" actions? Guess I don't know anything. And the HS Precision stock isn't all that either, had one but I sold it. Once I had stock doc put an adjustable cheekpiece on it it was alright. Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a new remington bolt rifle. :)

So my Stiller, Impact and Lone Peak actions aren't "custom" actions? Guess I don't know anything. And the HS Precision stock isn't all that either, had one but I sold it. Once I had stock doc put an adjustable cheekpiece on it it was alright. Sorry, but I wouldn't buy a new remington bolt rifle. :)
I don’t think any of the actions are custom actions. They are aftermarket in my opinion. Most come only one way. You can build custom rifles using these aftermarket actions but we dont have to get technical I guess. Lol

Reactions: 308pirate
I don’t think any of the actions are custom actions. They are aftermarket in my opinion. Most come only one way. You can build custom rifles using these aftermarket actions but we dont have to get technical I guess. Lol
That guy is just an asshole. He was lurking around earlier and seen someone ask a question about a Remington. Then he tells everyone how his tikka is the greatest and Remington is shit. His tikka is better than his custom actions and it’s stock is better than the Hs precision stock on the rifle the OP is considering. On and on Ad nauseam. A real miserable POS. The type of guy nobody likes so he hides behind a keyboard and try’s to antagonize others. Really childish behavior that’s indicative of a person who still lives with his mom. Mature adults typically don’t act like that. When a person like that is called on the inappropriate behavior they melt down and throw a tantrum just like a child. Watch and see.

That guy is just an asshole. He was lurking around earlier and seen someone ask a question about a Remington. Then he tells everyone how his tikka is the greatest and Remington is shit. His tikka is better than his custom actions and it’s stock is better than the Hs precision stock on the rifle the OP is considering. On and on Ad nauseam. A real miserable POS. The type of guy nobody likes so he hides behind a keyboard and try’s to antagonize others. Really childish behavior that’s indicative of a person who still lives with his mom. Mature adults typically don’t act like that. When a person like that is called on the inappropriate behavior they melt down and throw a tantrum just like a child. Watch and see.

Do you do standup? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I am also considering one of the eurooptic barrelled actions or the magpul enhanced. Other than the different trigger and barrel length, would they have similar accuracy?

I have never owned a Remington 700 but would like one. I do own tikka, howa and rugers but I am interested in a remington and trying to decide on which model. I am leaning towards the 700p.

I am building one of the Eurooptic barreled actions from Remington. I paid $499 for the 6.5CM, with 22" barrel. I have a Bravo on order, as well, I found a Timney 510 trigger... not the newer trigger, but the original. Anarchy Outdoors had the trigger for $115 shipped.

I am building one of the Eurooptic barreled actions from Remington. I paid $499 for the 6.5CM, with 22" barrel. I have a Bravo on order, as well, I found a Timney 510 trigger... not the newer trigger, but the original. Anarchy Outdoors had the trigger for $115 shipped.

bout the same 22" 6.5 from euro. Through it in a chassis and a TT trigger, shoots sub moa all day

I am also considering one of the eurooptic barrelled actions or the magpul enhanced. Other than the different trigger and barrel length, would they have similar accuracy?

I have never owned a Remington 700 but would like one. I do own tikka, howa and rugers but I am interested in a remington and trying to decide on which model. I am leaning towards the 700p.
The best bang for the buck on Remingtons is the 700 police complete rifle. A bit nicer appearance and a little more money is the 700 5r stainless or the 700 gen2 5r stainless that has a black coating. They all have hs precision stocks and 5r barrels. The 700 police models with the 40x trigger which is adjustable down to 1.5 pounds is actually the best rifle overall and cost less money. However it only comes in a couple different chamberings. All of the 700 5r stainless models and some of the 700p models have the adjustable Xmark trigger and it will only adjust down to about 3 pounds. The ones I have were all sub MOA out of the box. My 700 police sits just like it left the factory. My 700 5r stainless got a new Timney trigger within the first week of me buying it. If you don’t want the hs precision stock and plan on getting a KRG Bravo or whatever I still recommend getting the full rifle. The hs precision stock it comes in is $400 new and the bottom metal is a $120ish if you can find it. You can easily sell the stock and bottom metal for over $300 here on the Hide or wherever and use it towards what you want. Hell, I just bought a hs precision stock, trigger, and bottom metal here this morning. I hope this makes sense and helps you decide which rifle to buy. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with any of them. Good luck and happy shooting 👍

No, you don't. You'll fall into paralysis by analysis like half the noobs I see come around here.
You’re absolutely right in what you said. His instincts are obviously good because he was already leaning towards a 700p. He should just get the Model 700p complete rifle with the 40x trigger and get to shooting.

Reactions: DRAGON64
You’re absolutely right in what you said. His instincts are obviously good because he was already leaning towards a 700p. He should just get the Model 700p complete rifle with the 40x trigger and get to shooting.
More than half the time noobs don't know what they don't know so reading everything they can find on the internet just confuses them even more.

Thanks guys. Just to put this into perspective I'm disabled so money is tight. Have to sell some things to afford this rifle. So, yes I don't want to make a glaring mistake with the purchase.
Your posts and info I have found invaluable.

I’m sure we all totally understand. I know I do. I’m only recently finished paying for my grown childrens college education. Damn near 60 and feel guilty about spending the extra money on myself instead of other family members. Do your thing and get stuff sorted out so you’re confident that you made the right decision.

bout the same 22" 6.5 from euro. Through it in a chassis and a TT trigger, shoots sub moa all day
I expect similar results; I put mine in a Bravo chassis for a semi-budget build, before dropping her off at the gunsmith to have the action trued, bolt lapped, and to have a relief cut at the shoulder of the muzzle threads, so my brake will seat.

I bought a Remington 700p with the 40x trigger in 300 win mag (orginally I was leaning towards. 308, but found a good deal on one in .300 win mag. I already reload for .300 win ).

The rifle feels very nice, I put a nightforce steel base on and mounted a scope (bushnell lrhsi 4.5-18x44) in low badger rings. With the low rings my eye lines up perfectly with the scope, the hs precision stock feels very good. I plan on doing some shooting today using the 215 bergers .

Thanks for the advice jcmcullis2 , the 700p seems to be well built. I really like the 40x trigger, the stock is very nice and for the price it's a good bargain. It's my first remington 700 .

SKU 86594
Remington 700P 5R 20” 308
Had it since they were released and from what I can find are no longer made.
Haven’t shot it and it sits brand new as a safe Queen.
Was saving up for glass but now I want a semi 308 instead.

Here’s the read about the guy that helped develop it. A 20” M24 without the McMillan stock.