• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Police - talk me out of buying one

I don't think anyone will say "no" to this post. I can make an additional recommendation with a Savage 10 PC or 10 P both of which would be in the $550 to $700 range. Unbelievable accuracy for the price.

It's a great start. Excellent product support. And the Savage 10 is just as good. Own both couldn't really say one or the other is a favorite.

There's nothing wrong with it. They usually shoot pretty well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I have one and it is a 1/2 moa rifle. 26", barrel HS precision stock, 40X trigger, I think Rem might put a little extra in this rifle. When they first came out you could not buy unless your were in law enforcement. I know mine will shoot with a lot of those 3000.00 guns. Great buy for around 1000.00 dollars. I put steel 20 moa base and rings from Warren and SWFA fix scope power Mrad scope on mine. I would do it again.

For the money they are hard to beat. I have one I've had for years, I've bought/sold/traded many rifles since but it has stayed. It's a great option to have in the safe.

Always liked the Remington 700 Police model. Do they still come with HS Precision stocks?

Does anyone know what inch pounds does the action bolts are suppose to be torque to ?

Got mine 2 weeks ago have not shot it yet.
Barrel was awful dirty being a new gun!!!!!!!!

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
Blacked out

I will talk you out of it- get an LTR instead :)

@ Deerhunter 28: The bolts come from the factory torqued at 45in/lbs. Many here torque to 65in/lbs, but beware, you may crack the pot metal trigger guard. I never did, though.

Do police sharpshooters still use this rifle?

Do they use varmint contour barrels? Or do they have the thicker M-24 contour?

Do police sharpshooters still use this rifle?

Do they use varmint contour barrels? Or do they have the thicker M-24 contour?
It depends on the department. Many of them still out there. I prefer the LTR for LE work.

This was the first gun I bought when I got into long range shooting. I stuck a leupold mark 4 on it and shot the piss out o imf it. All of my firsts for long range shooting came behind this rifle and I still have it and shoot it to this day even though I have rigs that cost four time that. Its hard to beat for the money IMHO.

My first rifle is the 700p I shot the barrel out of it and made it into a 260.

With some load development you will have a sub minute rifle.

Just finished putting a CDI DBM on my 700P project two days ago. My latest 700P is in .308 with badger rail/rings, Bushnell HDMR optic, timney trigger, and Harris bipod. I think you will be happy with one and I have never had an issue with any of the 700P's I have. There are some that just don't like Remington regardless of the model but I have no complaints.

The above setup came in at roughly 3400.00

Last edited:
Sorry, can't talk you out of it, but can only warn you that if you get it, $900 is just a beginning ammount you are going to spend after you guy all the goodies for PR shooting: triple that amount and you will get an idea.

I was torn between that and the 5r about a year ago. I ended up going with the 5r but my next build is definitely gonna start out with the police

I would pass for these reasons;
- its the same rifle as the tactical,sps varmint just with different barrel lengths.
- you are paying for the "police" name and expensive stock not a different rifle with more guaranteed accuracy.
- the stock is nice but there are other stocks that do the same job for cheaper price ie. bell and carlson tactical medalist or light tactical and the choate tactical. Both have full aluminum bedding blocks and are very nice stocks.
- to get proper sight picture you will need a cheek piece or stock saddle with the H&S stock.
- you could buy the sps and get a better stock that doesn't need a cheek riser. It'll still shoot the same as a police model cause there is no difference in the build/machining process.
- remington 700 SPS Varmint
- If you are stuck on buying a police model I would get an LTR if a 20" barrel would work for you. Everyone I have seen/shot has been laser accurate and could shoot one hole groups of 4

I'd suggest buying the regular sps varmint or tactical which is about $250 less and then shooting it until you save an extra $450 and then buy a McRee Gen 5 TMag and call it a day.

Last edited:

The SPS does not have a better stock. He's right about eventually wanting/needing a cheek piece, though. If I was starting, and couldn't afford an AE, I would drop an LTR or a 5R into an AICS or Manners chassis and sell the HS stock here.

Last edited:
The HS stock will do everything you need it to do. Here is good video on a high speed custom stock for 1000 yard shooting...notice no cheek piece.
1000 Yards With a 2x4 and a Savage - TacticalMatches.com - Home Of The Best Shooters In The Nation

Not sure why everyone assumes that every time someone buys a rifle under 1k that they cant afford anything better or they are just getting into LR shooting. I shoot AIAX and other costly rifles but that does not mean I will not shoot less expensive rifles when the conditions warrant it. If I go out shooting with some guys out to 500 yards just hitting steel plates I am not going to drag out a 10-15k rifle when a much less alternative will work just fine. JMHO

So the only difference between the police model and the SPS Varmint is the stock? That's it?

No. The police has a 40X trigger which is much better than the shitty Xmark and has a parkerized finish. For the extra money spent you're getting a $100 finished upgrade, $350 stock upgrade, and $50 trigger upgrade. It's worth the money spent.

Depending upon who you talk to and what years you are comparing...stock, finish, bottom metal, trigger, QC and accuracy guarantee. I would say, if you want the 700 action and you intend on changing out the stock to other than HS right away, go with the SPS. If you want a rifle out of the box to shoot well and you don't want to spend money on major upgrades for a while, go with the Police. Also comes down to personal preference in stocks. I have more time behind HS stocks and I like them so I don't feel the need to change them. If I need a better rifle, I select another option out of the collection.....JMHO

The 700P is a nice rifle for the money. A decent trigger and stock right out of the box.
Mine shoots .5moa easily with FGMM and even better with my handloads.
You found a better price than I did.

I've got two 700p models that started out as .308s.
They are great starter rifles.
That said, one of mine is a Friday afternoon gun.....I couldn't get my scope centered... I also noticed a severe, visual misalignment of the scope rail..so a friend dropped it off at a smith last week where this was found:
i-FNkWhhr-XL.jpg

So, after purchasing this 700p used I spent several hundred dollars getting a new barrel mated to it and having the stock recoil lug replaced and the receiver blueprinted.
Adding up the scope rail and smithing, it would have been cheaper to buy a Defiance action from the get-go.

Last edited:
No. The police has a 40X trigger which is much better than the shitty Xmark and has a parkerized finish. For the extra money spent you're getting a $100 finished upgrade, $350 stock upgrade, and $50 trigger upgrade. It's worth the money spent.

yep, and they typically shoot well. I don't think you can beat 'em for $900. only thing I don't like is the 26" barrel, I'd prefer 24" or even 22".

whether you like a stock or not is a very personalized issue. I really like the HS stock on the 700p. Fits me well, and I like the palm swell feature. pop a triad stock pack on there if you want a higher cheek weld.

for me, the 700p is EASY to shoot well from the bench.

I love Remington 700 rifles. Theyre awesome, accurate and priced right plus you can do alot to them if you want to as well. My current 700P is a 338 lapua magnum that if I dont sell im gonna keep and shoot the hell out of it cuz its a .5moa shooter!

Sorry buddy, I cannot talk you out of one because theyre awesome all I can do is talk you into one but in the end its your decision and not mine or anyone else's, good luck!

yep, and they typically shoot well. I don't think you can beat 'em for $900. only thing I don't like is the 26" barrel, I'd prefer 24" or even 22".

whether you like a stock or not is a very personalized issue. I really like the HS stock on the 700p. Fits me well, and I like the palm swell feature. pop a triad stock pack on there if you want a higher cheek weld.

for me, the 700p is EASY to shoot well from the bench.

Personally, I think it's silly that Remington doesn't offer something more similar to an M-24 - it doesn't need to be an exact copy, but close enough.

How hard is it for them to offer a 700 with a 24" M-24 contour barrel in an HS Precision stock?

I can't talk you out of it but you could look at this several ways.

1. I got one a few years back, it shot very well stock at 100 yards with box ammo (168 hornady's). I never got it out any further than that before I started monkeying around with it. I knew very little at the time and now completely regret doing what I did. If you get one that shoots nice don't mess with it at all!! Just shoot the crap out of it! Remember this is a gamble your rifle my not work as well as mine did.
2. Buy an action (defiance or another similar) and all the parts slowly over time, forget your budget because it will always limit your end goal. If its a really accurate rifle you want you will need to have a competent gunsmith assemble your rifle and this will almost guarantee that you will have a very accurate gun. This will make you test your patience, I have a rifle right now that is just waiting on the action from defiance and it has been 12 months! I've had several trued Remington actions and they shoot lights out! I've always heard good things from others that have spent the extra money on custom actions like Defiance and then I got to mess with one.... It was all over from there.

Good luck with whatever path you choose, but your budget is way under what this adventure is really going to cost you! BTW rings base and decent optics puts this build in the 2k-2500k range is that in your budget?

i have one, use it for hunting and punching paper,and i love it havent done anything to it out of the box it shot sub moa with 150gr core lokts.... shoots 180 federal pretty well also

I got the LTR for the shorter barrel to keep oal down with suppressor addition , initially worried might lose something by going to shorter barrel but that was put to bed. Would do it again ! After dropping action in AICS chassis it shot even better !!

I can't talk you out of it but you could look at this several ways.

1. I got one a few years back, it shot very well stock at 100 yards with box ammo (168 hornady's). I never got it out any further than that before I started monkeying around with it. I knew very little at the time and now completely regret doing what I did. If you get one that shoots nice don't mess with it at all!! Just shoot the crap out of it! Remember this is a gamble your rifle my not work as well as mine did.
2. Buy an action (defiance or another similar) and all the parts slowly over time, forget your budget because it will always limit your end goal. If its a really accurate rifle you want you will need to have a competent gunsmith assemble your rifle and this will almost guarantee that you will have a very accurate gun. This will make you test your patience, I have a rifle right now that is just waiting on the action from defiance and it has been 12 months! I've had several trued Remington actions and they shoot lights out! I've always heard good things from others that have spent the extra money on custom actions like Defiance and then I got to mess with one.... It was all over from there.

Good luck with whatever path you choose, but your budget is way under what this adventure is really going to cost you! BTW rings base and decent optics puts this build in the 2k-2500k range is that in your budget?

Good avice - thanks!

I actually already have a scope and rings - SWFA SS 3-15X42 FFP and Badger medium rings.

The only thing I'd really need is the base and a bipod, but the bipod can wait.

Good avice - thanks!

I actually already have a scope and rings - SWFA SS 3-15X42 FFP and Badger medium rings.

The only thing I'd really need is the base and a bipod, but the bipod can wait.

Nice choice! I have a 5-20 SWFA on my 6.5x47. I'm happy with it. So you are not too far off probably another $200+/- between the two. I like the harris bipods. I guess by now I should have gotten an Atlas just for kicks. As for the base I have used cheap ones and not so cheap and I can't tell the difference?

Personally, I think it's silly that Remington doesn't offer something more similar to an M-24 - it doesn't need to be an exact copy, but close enough.

How hard is it for them to offer a 700 with a 24" M-24 contour barrel in an HS Precision stock?

well, the short answer is that the varmint profile is more useful to more people than a truck axle M40/M24. don't knock it til ya try it, my 700P is a real shooter right out of the box.

However ... that being said, I see posts come up enough about M24-profile factory offerings ... there's obviously some demand for them.

I got one a few years back, it shot very well stock at 100 yards with box ammo (168 hornady's). I never got it out any further than that before I started monkeying around with it. I knew very little at the time and now completely regret doing what I did. If you get one that shoots nice don't mess with it at all!!

yep, agree with this. Mine shoots great out of the box, I've afraid to monkey with anything. I don't even want to mess with the factory torque settings on the stock.

They are good starter rifles - great deal if you're looking for the tactical look and features without the full-on custom price tag. I'd like to have one in 300WM....

well, the short answer is that the varmint profile is more useful to more people than a truck axle M40/M24. don't knock it til ya try it, my 700P is a real shooter right out of the box.

However ... that being said, I see posts come up enough about M24-profile factory offerings ... there's obviously some demand for them.

Oh I trust me, I'm not disagreeing with you on the usefulness of the varmint contour over the M24/M40 contour.

But if Remington offered that same police model only with a 24" heavy M24 contour barrel I think they'd fly off the shelves. Military clones are popular, especially an M24/M40 clone - a gun that even non-gun people have heard of.

Instead, if you want to replicate the M24/M40 look, you have to either build from scratch, pay a ridiculous amount of money to have a custom builder do it for you, or buy a stock Remington 700 and have it rebarreled (among other things). Again, I'm not suggesting they offer an EXACT clone down to the smallest detail, but at least one that resembles the real deal.

The 700 Police and 5R are nice, but they can do better.

I will talk you out of it- get an LTR instead :)

@ Deerhunter 28: The bolts come from the factory torqued at 45in/lbs. Many here torque to 65in/lbs, but beware, you may crack the pot metal trigger guard. I never did, though.

I just bought a LTR .308. I put a Vortex Razor scope on it. It shoots .5 MOA out of the box. Great rifle. Love it.

I have a 700 PSS in 223 with 3200 rounds down the barrel, and it has been a great gun, but another poster wrote about getting on target with glass. I had the same problem with 7mm PSS. I took off the scope and mounted a 30mm piece of bar stock steel that has been bored out for a laser, and found that at 30 feet, the POI of the barrel was 1.2 inches to the left of the POA of the scope mount centerline. That is 12 MOA off center. I'd like to think it is a one off thing, but I sound believe that anymore. I would suggest a Tikka or Savage action to get started, and if you fall in love with long range shooting, Tikkas make great upgradeable guns with buttery smooth actions. Savage isn't a slouch either.

Stop- do this instead. At the last gun show I attended nice used 700 Short actions with wooden stocks were going for around 400.00. Sell the stock and barrel and you are into the action for less than 3 bills. Send it IT&D and have a douglas varmint barrel chambered with a match reamer for another 300. drop it into a used PSS stock and get a trigger job. It will shoot well and not stretch your brass like an oversize factory barrel. Same budget and much better product..

Firstly you came to the wrong place for anyone to talk you out of it lol. Get it it's a solid rifle.

Reactions: ptalar
Depending upon who you talk to and what years you are comparing...stock, finish, bottom metal, trigger, QC and accuracy guarantee. I would say, if you want the 700 action and you intend on changing out the stock to other than HS right away, go with the SPS. If you want a rifle out of the box to shoot well and you don't want to spend money on major upgrades for a while, go with the Police. Also comes down to personal preference in stocks. I have more time behind HS stocks and I like them so I don't feel the need to change them. If I need a better rifle, I select another option out of the collection.....JMHO

What type of cheek piece do you use for the hs stock?