• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Remington 700 Problems formerly AICS Problem

BoredEngineer

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2010
CA, San Jose
I purchased an AICS 2.0 off of a fellow hide member and after getting my barreled action back from the finisher have run into a bit of a problem trying to get this thing bolted together.

The problem I am having is getting the bolt on the rear tang to engage correctly. The hole on the receiver is not lining up correctly and sits too far forward (the recoil lug prevents the receiver from moving back any further). It looks to be off by about .030". The the front bolt goes in perfectly fine.

The only way I can get the rear bolt started is to press down hard on the rear of the receiver but there is too much resistance after the bolt gets started and the washer/bolt head don't even come close to touching the stock.

Right now I am thinking I am going to have to open up the hole. But before I do something irreversible I would like to know if any of you guys have had a similar problem or have any ideas.

Re: AICS Problem

Damn, nice catch Pat. The front bolt will fit in but the magazine won't slide all the way in. There's an interference with the rear wall of the magazine and the material forward of the trigger in the receiver. The interferences is about the thickness of the magazine wall .041". Opening up the rear hole will definitely not solve my problem.

Anyone know if I can send this thing back somewhere even if I purchased it privately?

I have purchased 2 used rifles here with AICS stocks and both of them had Jewell triggers, and as luck would have it, both had not been inletted enough in the trigger area for the side pins of the trigger, so there were issues in getting the rear stock screw engaged.
First, take the skins off of the stock, that will give you a better view of what you need to do. I hope it is something as easy as inletting the trigger area.
Drop the action in the stock with the front lug being first priority, using a flash light and a Sharpie mark where you need to inlet.
I recommend a dremel bit with a bunch of little pointy teeth, the kind for cutting tile, or any bit for non ferous material.
Good luck and keep us posted
As a side note, and from an accuracy standpoint, I have read that the stock screws must go in without any side loading, if there is any, take a round file and open the hole a little.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you have a jewel trigger???

This is your problem

AICS have to be milled for Jewell
</div></div>
This is true unless the Jewell Trigger is a HVRS with a bottom safety and no bolt release.

Hey All,

Thanks for chiming in with help.

The barrel, recoil lug, trigger (x-mark), and receiver are all from my 5r and are factory. I can't say if it fit before because I purchased the AICS while the barreled action was getting refinished. Both the stock and receiver are SA. I am starting to think the problem now is in the recoil lug area as the interferences indicate that opening up the slot in the stock to allow the receiver to move back some may fix the problem.

Here are some pictures I just uploaded to give an idea of what I am seeing.

img2058g.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt meets a lot of resistance even if I am able to get it started; Bolt will not seat all the way</span>

img2047da.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Wear marks indicating bolt can only go in at an angle (rear bolt)</span>

img2056f.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Magazine does not sit flush</span>

img2052c.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Interference between receiver and rear wall of magazine</span>

img2060fu.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Portion of receiver interfering with magazine</span>

img2061l.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Bolt group works fine</span>
img2062l.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">For reference</span>

has the action been trued? if someone trued the action face, you will run into that problem. just inlet the lug area on aics. thats how i fixed mine.

Just had the barreled action painted so no change other than being disassembled and reassembled. Right now I am thinking the same thing and milling the lug area on the stock to set the receiver back about .040" so the magazine can slide in.

I'm wondering if these stocks are usually this tight.

Scratched a bit off from behind the recoil lug trying to fit this thing in not seeing much more than a micron of coating. I don't think its the cerakoat as I am seeing an interference of about .040" between the receiver and magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much finish did your finisher put on the rear of the recoil lug? </div></div>

i sure hope not .040" worth
grin.gif

I would pull the trigger off the action and see if it sits in the AI chassis correctly before I started milling on the AI chassis.

I have had to slot the screw holes on an AI chassis before when an action would not fit correctly though.

I had the same issue with my AICS 2.0 and a Lawton 7000 action, I had to mill the lug area in the stock .020 to get it to fit correctly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much finish did your finisher put on the rear of the recoil lug? </div></div>

i sure hope not .040" worth
grin.gif
</div></div>

Yeah I know, but had to ask without a mention of who or what the finish was. I've seen weirder stuff "professionally" done.

Sounds like this may be an issue with the 2.0's tolerances if everything going in is factory 5R......

Took the stock over to Todd over at Phantom Finishing to try the receiver in his AICS and see what was going on. After trying to fit my receiver in his AICS, comparing receivers, and taking measurments. The verdict is the rear hole in the receiver is 1/16 off and that material on the bottom of the receiver shouldn't even be there (see 5th picture) so it looks like I have Remington to thank for these issues.

Right now since everything is coated I'm going to just mill the extra material off of the receiver and slot the rear hole in the stock forward a bit.

Thanks to all of you guys for your input especially with the ideas on checking the magazine and trying another action. Big thanks to Todd at Phantom Finishing for telling me to stop by his shop and going out of his way to help me out.

I will post pictures of the mods as well as the results sometime this Friday.

X-Mark triggers and the AICS do not go together without interference and the stock will need to be milled or you will have issues fitting and working the safety.

Take the trigger off and try to fit the barreled action before you go a start cutting on things.

The material on the bottom of the receiver that you say isn’t supposed to be there is supposed to be there. This is that third screw hole for the receiver when the rifle is built into an ADL configured rifle. All modern Rem BDL rifles will have this little area to capture the third screw and also acts as the mag box stop for the BDL rifle.

If your action is pulled too far forward I suspect too much material may have been removed from the action if it has been trued or you are not getting that action to sit right because of your X-Mark trigger.

It's always possible that the rear hole is off but that would be the last thing I would expect especially if this barreled action was in another stock at one time.

Hey Randy good catch with the material on the bottom of the receiver. Just checked it with the mag box the receiver came in and I see what your are saying now.

The rifle hasn't been trued and I didn't notice any interference with the trigger and stock. I played with the safety and then dry fired it a couple of times to make sure it is functioning correctly. After that I removed the trigger and mounted the action and still have the same problem with the rear bolt not going in properly and the magazine interfering with the receiver.

I did have some concerns about the front mounting hole on the receiver being off as well so I measured the distance from the center of the hole to the recoil lug and got a value of 23.07mm the distance from the slot to the center of the front mounting hole center measured 23mm so it looks like I am ok there since the hole in the stock is .75mm larger than the major thread diameter of the bolt. I'm not able to get any accurate measurements with the rear hole in respect to the lug since my calipers aren't large enough but my tape measure is showing it to be a little more than a 1/16" off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoredEngineer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Randy good catch with the material on the bottom of the receiver. Just checked it with the mag box the receiver came in and I see what your are saying now.

The rifle hasn't been trued and I didn't notice any interference with the trigger and stock. I played with the safety and then dry fired it a couple of times to make sure it is functioning correctly. After that I removed the trigger and mounted the action and still have the same problem with the rear bolt not going in properly and the magazine interfering with the receiver.

I did have some concerns about the front mounting hole on the receiver being off as well so I measured the distance from the center of the hole to the recoil lug and got a value of 23.07mm the distance from the slot to the center of the front mounting hole center measured 23mm so it looks like I am ok there since the hole in the stock is .75mm larger than the major thread diameter of the bolt. I'm not able to get any accurate measurements with the rear hole in respect to the lug since my calipers aren't large enough but my tape measure is showing it to be a little more than a 1/16" off. </div></div>

Ok un-modified action and barrel. If the stock hasn't been previously bedded and is stock then like you have found the rear screw hole my indeed off, nothing would surprise me with a Remington. But unless that stock has been cut for the X-Mark trigger when the barreled action is properly torqued down that trigger will interfere. Now if the rear screw hole is off I suppose the trigger pin holes could be as well. This might also explain why the third ADL screw area is too far forward as well. Meaning the entire rear portion of the receiver is all been machined too far forward?

Your only option would be open up the rear hole in the stock or machine the back side of the opening for the recoil lug so the action sits further to the rear in the stock. However if you do this the stock is now matted to this action and no other action will fit the stock.

I might be running into this with my new AICS as well (installing an AAC-SD receiver with X-mark). When I installed it, I attributed the tight rear screw just to tight tolerances, it didn't seem like it was going to strip anything.

When I get home tomorrow I'm going to take off the skins and see if my rear bolt is indeed screwed in all the way or if it's jacked up too.

My magazines sit flush however, and the action functions fine (with snapcaps anyway, I haven't shot it yet).

If the X-mark is at fault, do Huber or Timney triggers suffer from the same problem in an AICS? I'd rather replace the X-mark then have to send my rifle off to have the stock inletted.

Finally got the receiver bolted into the stock last night. Was pleased with the results. Prior to modding the hole in the stock when I tried to get the rear bolt in the recoil lug wouldn't sit completely flush with the slot in the stock. Now there's no gap there (not even the slightest bit of light will go through. Also milled the receiver to allow the magazine to seat properly.
img2064w.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Stock hole after milling</span>
img2068d.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Receiver after milling</span>

After all of that I had to deal with a problem with extraction. While trying to extract cases, the cases would just flop around inside the receiver like dead fish. Took out the bolt and compared it to the one I have in my LTR. Turns out the extractor was just bottomed out. The claw portion of the extractor didn't look worn which made sense because it is new and unused, but it looked like the person at the factory installing it squished (technical term) the extractor so it wasn't sitting up enough to grab at the casing or allow it to spring back and forth.

I couldn't find any places that had the extractors in stock (back ordered until January 23rd 2011
cry.gif
) so I decided to try and see if I could bend the extractor back into shape, reinstall it, and see if that would work.

To get a good idea of how to remove/install an extractor I watched the video LoneWolfUSMC posted on youtube for removing/installing extractors. Once I had it out I could tell that it looked like it was squashed and out of shape. I took two needle nosed pliers and opened up the legs of of the extractor starting from the center then bent in the ends slightly so it would be easy to get back in. Once I had everything back in my rifle was extracting like a champ. I still plan on replacing the extractors once they come in but until then this fix should hold me over. Thanks to LoneWolfUSMC for the vid.
img20890.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Extractor sitting too low</span>
img2088e.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Functioning Extractor</span>
img2091r.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Side by side comparison</span>
img20940.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">After bending the extractor into shape</span>
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jG-rkGjc_k"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5jG-rkGjc_k" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
<span style="font-weight: bold">LoneWolfUSMC's Instructional video</span>