• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 problems

cj1026

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2008
Repulik of Commieforniastan
Hey guys looking for some help. A friend of mine just got a Remington 700 in .308 from a guy on Gun Broker. We got out to the range yesterday to shot it. He started with some reloads from Geogia Arms. 1st shot no problem. 2nd fired but the bolt was stuck closed. We had to bang it open. Case looked pretty normal. Thought there might be a problem with the reloads so we switched to factor ammo. Happend 2 more time in 3 shots. Once with Federal and once with Winchester.
Could it be the head spacing? Any ideas?

Re: Remington 700 problems

Have a gunsmith check the headspace, the chamber and make sure the hole in the barrel is really .308.(no I am not kidding). If the case looked "normal" (no signs of pressure) I would suspect a bad or rusted up chamber or extractor problems. Another wild card is to check the front guard screw as if it overtightened it can hit the lower bolt lug and tie up the bolt.

What he said.
Btw a GO / NOGO gauge set is cheaper than a smith. Might wana give it a try yourself checking everything mentioned above.
Don't be affraid to damage anything. Just be careful

Keith Johns, AZ Precision

cj,

Did you have to bang the bolt UP or BACK or both?

You should be able to send about 3 of the fired cases to any good smith and have the head space issue answered very easilty without having to buy gauges or shipping the rifle. Then if the cases show excessive H.S., get it to a shop or the factory for correction.

In my opinion, if the bore was not to spec, NONE of your rounds would be firing and extracting correctly. Also you said the case looked pretty normal. If the chamber were corroded or rough, the case would show a ton of markings and scratches.

Go back and make double sure that there is no oils,solvent, etc. in the chamber or bore prior to firing. Some people fire newly acquired rifles with both and/or packing debris in the chamber/bore and will immediately have this type problem. Also seen shooters with good intentions not dry the chamber/bore after cleaning. Ditto problems.

Even if your headspace is excessive, I think you would get a head seperation before it would lock up the bolt like that.

I'm betting it is another issue and probably a very minor one. If you cannot find another shop to check your fired cases, send me 3-5 fired cases. Won't take but a minute for me to gauge them and won't cost you anything but postage.

Either way, good luck and be sure to post how you resolve this so others can watch out accordingly.

No wind,
Terry

The front guard screw should be shorter than the rear. Sometimes they get mixed up when installing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The front guard screw should be shorter than the rear. Sometimes they get mixed up when installing. </div></div>

HI, IF you were to install the rear tang screw in the forward spot more than likely you would not be able to even close the bolt, The forward screw is to short to "grab" the rear threads.
Respectfully,
LG

I'll put my money on the chamber being rough. It only takes minute pitting in the chamber to cause the problem you describe. Inspect your fired cases in good lighting, if you see any machine marks or burnished looking surfaces, there's your problem.

Guys thanks for all the help and input. My buddy sent it back to the guy he bought it from for a full refund. If I find out what was wrong I will be sure to let you all know.

Thanks again for all the help guys.