• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 700 re-barrel

supercorndogs

Ham Fisted Gorilla
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2014
Colorado
i am thinking of sending a remington 700 off to Mcgowen for a rebarrel. any one have experience with their work.

Just curious, but why are you set on Mcgowen? There is an entire thread over on SS dedicated to peoples experience with Mcgowen. It may make for a good read.

Had one on a savage I owned a few years back. Cleaned up well and shot fantastic. For a button pulled barrel they're good to go in my book. I'd imagine their rebarrel work is just as good as their work they put into their barrels. I have no idea what their turn around time is but unless is excessive they'd be worth the time and money.

If you're set on a McGowen just do a Remage barrel setup and you don't have to send your rifle anywhere.

Last edited:
i e mailed mcgowen and he said to expect moa or better. i want half moa or better though so the search continues

Check out blackholeweaponry.com (you'll want to call). They're known more for their AR pipes but they also make barrels for bolt actions. I just took delivery of one. Polygonal rifling, stainless steel and the worlds best customer service. All of my AR barrels from them are bug-hole shooters. I haven't tested out the barrel that I just got but their reputation for quality and the utterly beautiful machine work gives me high hopes.

Remage is remington rifle with a savage style barrel nut. Makes it so you can install your own barrel pretty darned easily and not "need" a gunsmith. If you want a one-hole gun you might want to engage a smithy anyway though.

Last edited:
i e mailed mcgowen and he said to expect moa or better. i want half moa or better though so the search continues

Do you also plan on having the factory receiver trued? What about the factory bolt?

Send that shit to Moon at crecent customs and you'll never be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you also plan on having the factory receiver trued? What about the factory bolt?

yes. i may send it to scorehigh in new mexico. they can check factory barrel and then set it back if it is good enough. or rebarrel with a shilen

What contour is it now? Bartlein is a good choice too

What contour is it now? Bartlein is a good choice too

Another vote for Bartlein barrels, their cut rifle barrels are top notch. I have the M40 contour, cut to 20 inches with an AAC muzzebrake/flash hider. It did 1/2 moa no problem when I sighted it in at 100 yards using Black Hills 175gr match.

20140928_124143.jpg

I haven't followed the thread recently but looks like there is no back log. I see you posted in the thread. Maybe give LRI a call if you don't see a response soon.

I haven't followed the thread recently but looks like there is no back log. I see you posted in the thread. Maybe give LRI a call if you don't see a response soon.

i see there is an order form too. i want to find out how it all works and what price i will get the work at. moon at crescent customs answered my e mail as well. he said 4 to 5 month lead time. i will call score high tomorrow too i just sold some stuff to fund it it is go time. now what barrel i see some votes for bartlien already. rock creek kreiger brux are they all the same when installed by a pro

Looks like Bartlein has about a 5 to 6 month order time. It is well worth the wait for their barrels.
Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Main Page
The Smith who did the work on my rifle took about 1.5 months and that's a pretty fast turn around. I would expect at least 3 months on average.

When I rebarrel mine, it will be a Bartlen or Llja.

I will send it to LRI or Short Acton Customs. Both have done GREAT work for me, with very quick turn around.

yep LRI it is. i ordered a krieger from bugholes because all they had were .300 bore bartleins. i am not sure i want a tight bore maybe next time. but next time will be a 6.5 or 6mm. this time it will be a 308 because i want to shoot the shit out of it without shooting it out. i though i was done but now which reamer.

LRI gave me a lead time. i said holy smokes that fast and the nice lady on the phone just laughed.

I got one being built right now with a Bartlein 10 twist m24 asked for the sniper reamer, this will be my first 308 in a remmy (have 3 savages) but my 3rd LRI build.

Trust LRI - I think you have already purchased the barrel but if not Grizzly.com has them. LRI has built 3 for me so far, 1 is a .308 with his sniper reamer. Shoots sub .5moa.

In reality I have no clue but I think its set for the 175 projos, to me I will be reloading for it so not a big deal what reamer as long as there is not too much head space.

yea me too. i just want to be able to reach the lead at mag length 2.85 not like my current remington lead situation in my 308 did they throat them to shoot 220 round noses. it still a shooter though. so i guess i dont know if it matters. after shooting it today i started questioning if it was worth it to build one.

well, with a name like "Sniper" for the reamer it has to be better , right? if not it sounds cooler anyway. Chad knows what he is doing, he has made 2 bughole rifles for me and may others here, he wouldn't offer it without conversation if it wasn't going to fit you.

i thought about asking dave kiff of PTG but i hate to bother someone who i am not buying a product from. i read a thread where he said he invented the best 308 reamer there is. but half moa a sami or the 308 sniper should work fine i would think but i will refer to the expert at LRI before i make my choice

yay a band wagon fan. is your favorite team the sea chickens too. sorry could not resist. but i do not care what most of the people at a competition used. i chose a great manufacturer because they had what i wanted in stock. they only had .300 bore bartleins. i have serious doubts that bartlein is any better than kreiger or lilja. the write up is just a compilation of what the manufacturers have written about themselves on their websites. and then a chart of what barrels were used at a competition when kreiger had a 6 month back log.

a 71 fj 40 is a bad ass rig

What was in Stock was the key deciding factor for me too. Bartlein had my barrel in stock ready to ship. The other manufacturers I was looking at were all 4 to 12 months order times.

i ordered mine from bugholes.com they have a lot of different barrels in stock. i almost ordered a rock creek. i still bet they are all the same unless you have a custom action. then maybe. there are some good articles on accurate shooter about competitions they have at a 300y indoor range. if you dont shoot .0" groups you cant even be competitive. i dont need for that kind of accuracy though.

is your a tight bore. any impresions on that if it is. velocity gains with factory ammo. pressure problems when hand loading

Mine is .308 standard bore. I only shoot factory spec ammo either 175 gr Blackhills or reloads that are built to the same specifications. I only cared about a tight group when I sighted it in. I normally shoot 18x24 AR500 steal plates at distances of 450 to 1400 yards.

Yes its possible, you will be very happy with the Kreiger. I have one on a Tac Ops and love it. I also have Hart and two Spencer barrels and all of them clean easy and the cold clean shot gets followed by the second, third, fourth and fifth shot, every time. I had a Bartlien and it did not do that, took 10-15 rounds to settle back in. Maybe it was just my luck...