• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes remington 700 - ring height (high or medium)

kyle1974

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2009
Corpus Christi
I'm getting the scope, mount and rings together for my rifle and I am unsure about which ring heigh I need...

I'm putting a mark 4 4.5-14x50 on a remington LTR with nightforce 20 MOA base... does anyone know if the medium ring height will work, or do I need to go high?

currently, I have a zeiss 6.5-20x50 with dovetal mount leupold rings and bases and am using the high rings, with plenty of room.

problem is, I have to mail order these rings, and there's no way to "try them" in a store as no one has these friggen things, or at least I can't find them.
thanks.

Re: remington 700 - ring height (high or medium)

Medium height would be marginal when you consider the lens cover thickness and scope housing thickness. You have to account for 10 mm scope lens radius beyond the 15mm scope tube radius, 1-2 mm housing/bell thickness, 1-2 mm lens cap thickness. So another 14 mm on the radius. A medium height is 12 mm (1/2") so I would use a high ring (3/4"(18-19mm) on the radius.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ptalar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Medium height would be marginal when you consider the lens cover thickness and scope housing thickness. You have to account for 10 mm scope radius, 1-2 mm housing thickness, 1-2 mm lens cap thickness. So another 14 mm on the radius. A medium height is 12 mm (1/2") so I would use a high ring (3/4"(18-19mm) on the radius. </div></div>

that's a good point..I have some flip up caps on that zeiss, and there is maybe .25"

I was also wondering if the nightforce high ring set up will be at the exact same height as the leupold high ring set up since it's a different mounting system

Using 12-14mm as your minimum hardware radius below the scope ring I would go the NF website and look at their ring specs. You should be able to tell what size would work. I am going to guess you would need a high ring in NF since they are all about the same plus or minus.

Well, I use EGW, TPS, and once a NF 1 peice base on my 700s with factory varmint barrel profile like PSS, SPS Tac or V, 5Rs, etc and with a 50mm scope, Butler Creek caps, and 20 MOA bases I have been using Badger LOW, LOW Burris XTR or TPS LOW rings, and still have room - works out about right. If using a 56mm scope, and/or fatter barrels, I have gone to mediums.

Now, if you rebarreled to a straight taper barrel, you would probably need mediums......

Highs are usually for putting a scope on an AR platform.

The dovetail twist in mount sizes do not translate well to ring heigth for use on a picatinny bases, imho.

Your results may vary, but this has been true for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyle1974</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm getting the scope, mount and rings together for my rifle and I am unsure about which ring heigh I need...

I'm putting a mark 4 4.5-14x50 on a remington LTR with nightforce 20 MOA base... does anyone know if the medium ring height will work, or do I need to go high?

currently, I have a zeiss 6.5-20x50 with dovetal mount leupold rings and bases and am using the high rings, with plenty of room.

problem is, I have to mail order these rings, and there's no way to "try them" in a store as no one has these friggen things, or at least I can't find them.
thanks. </div></div>

I would use <span style="font-weight: bold">LOWS</span>. You should have enough room. You want the scope to be as low as possible on your rifle. If your Obj is larger than 50mm then I would go with the mediums. When people measure the amount of space needed they als need to take into consideration the barrel contour. Your barrel contour is a LTR (Remington Varmint Contour IIRC). So you will have more room than someone with say a straight 1.25" tube or anyone with just a Straight heavy taper like a MTU taper. You will not be able to get good proper cheek weld if you use your LTR stock with HIGHS. Keep it as low as possible. Once again I recommend <span style="font-weight: bold">LOWS</span>.

One other thing. Low ring height on Leupold dovetail type rings and Low on Heavy duty tactical rings do not translate to the same height. Lows on Tactical rings are usually higher than the leupold low dovetail rings/mount combo and this is largely due to the fact that picatinny rails are usually higher than the leupold dovetail front/windage adjustable back mount.

Hope this helps

Gene

"'m putting a mark 4 4.5-14x50 on a remington LTR with nightforce 20 MOA base..."

Our lows will clear, but your scope is short and the taper on the back of your objective might hit the front of your scope base depending on where your eye relief needs to be. I have the same setup on my WSM (same barrel contour) and comfortably run mediums.

I would suggest something in the .87 height range.

Reactions: liv4spd

My rifle is a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308
Nightforce NXS 20 MOA base
Leupold MK4 30mm steel <span style="font-weight: bold">HIGH rings</span>
McM A5 stock (adj cheek is important for highs IMO here)
Leupold MK4 4.5-14x50mm + ARD + Covers.

Clearly there's more than enough space there. I've got my USO ST10 with adjustable ERGO coming so I wanted a bit of clearance.

700SPSaa.jpg

Mediums would be perfect me thinks, good luck

Leupold suggests Mk4 High Rings.

We are currently using them on one of our rifles with a Leupold 0MOA base and 4.5-14x50mm Mk4. There is some room there, but when I measured it with a caliper the Mediums would be a real tight fit (assuming Leupold's measurements are correct on their website). You could probably get away with Mediums if you didn't want to use flip up scope caps, or if you use the Alumina screw-in flip ups.

One of the guys wants to get some Medium rings to see if he can get the scope lower.

My last rifle was a REM700P in .308 with it's varmint barrel contour. Used to have MK4 Medium rings on a millet 0 moa rail with. Scope had it's Caps & worked fine (pic below).

Rem700Police762side-1.jpg

I appreciate all the info guys, but this is what I have been running into so far... the leupold Mk 4 mounting system is similar to the nightforce, and I don't know why they recommend the HIGH rings, when clearly we have folks here that have made it work with lows...I think I'm just going to shoot the middle ground with mediums... if they dont work, then I guess you guys will see some 30mm nightforce steel rings in the classifieds for about $30 bucks off retail
laugh.gif

I'd really like to make the LOW rings work, since I'm still using the facotry stock which has no cheek adjustment on it....

I may also go to the 6.5-20x50 since I found one for just $50 more than the 4.5-14x50 with TMR reticle....that seems like it would put the objective lens past the heavier portion of the barrel...

96C, is that a 50mm?

if that's the case, I don't see why LOW wouldn't work... looks like a ton of room there.

Because the Millet rail above has some extra height that you may or may not have on your rail.

ALSO, keep in mind that even if your scope does not touch the barrel you may be limited in how far back you can slide it before the objective bell hits the rail. This may prevent you from getting proper eye relief without machining the rail.

I always suggest going as low as you can go, but sometimes duck tape and foam is an easier solution than a vertical mill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I always suggest going as low as you can go, but sometimes duck tape and foam is an easier solution than a vertical mill. </div></div>

What about a die grinder or dremel cut off wheel and some judicious filing?

After mounting a new 20 MOA base (EGW) I found I had to abandon my low rings, previously mounted to my Millet 0 MOA base and go with highs to allow eye relief adjustment. Sooting with JR81452 last week, he was incredulous that I did not cut off the excess and keep the rings i had. I still have them!

With the butt stock pack I have, I really like the cheek weld I have now as I felt the lows were a little too low before. I have some mediums too if I decide to cut that sucker.

Kyle, yeah it's a 50mm objective on the MK4 scope there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">keep in mind that even if your scope does not touch the barrel you may be limited in how far back you can slide it before the objective bell hits the rail. This may prevent you from getting proper eye relief without machining the rail.</div></div>

+1, definately was an issue with the above setup (black stock picture). The bell housing was about 1mm from the picatinny rail, back as far as I could get it... Worked fine but there really wasn't any more room to move. I'd say try the medium's, it's easier to sell off a set of medium rings as opposed to High or Low I'd say. Like I said earlier, I'm running the High rings only because I've got a 20 MOA nightforce rail and have a big objective outer ring on the USO scope coming in.

Medium's should keep you happy. If the eye relief is a bit out for height you can always look at Karsten's kydex cheek pieces / taping foam to the stock like MIL or just the Eagle stock pack.

I have a millet 0 degree rail on a r700 with millet tactical low rings (6 screws per ring) using a Leupold 6.5-20x50mm illuminated mildot. BC caps also with plenty of room to spare. The only reason i went with millet was because of price & my local store had them in stock. The millet rail is tall which is why there is extra room.