• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 SA in HS: bolt release binding

db3

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Greetings,

Based on all of the great threads here, I finally finished my first build, an M24 clone of sorts. Thanks to this great forum and its members. It's a Remington 700 SA in a plain Jane HS, with a bolt on adjustable comb, Loopy MKVI and Harris BP. Standard stuff, everything purchased second hand, but in good repair. I think.

After one horrible day at the range where everything seemed to be conspiring against getting a good zero, including my impatience, not bringing the right tools, the weather, and my wife, I had probably one of the best days last weekend. Everything worked as planned, and I ended up shooting the last 3 shot group sub MOA with Privi Match (168 BT) @ 100 yds., which was the goal this trip. Couldn't have been happier, especially after the previous outing.

Everything except when removing the bolt to run a rod through, I found that the bolt release button would stick in the up (unlocked) position. If I loosened the rear action mounting bolt, it would snap out, but bind again as soon as I tightened it with a torque wrench. I might have imagined it, but the safety release seemed a little stiffer than I remember.

Question is, should I try to find the binding point myself or take it to a gunsmith? Is this common during a build? Thanks in advance.

Re: Remington 700 SA in PRS: bolt release binding

It shouldn't be binding. If everything is installed correctly and nothing is defective it shouldn't, but I'm sure you already know that. Is the barrel centered in the barrel channel? What torque values are your action screws? If it appears to be canted in any way in the channel, it is likely you have a crooked recoil lug. I once had this problem with the same stock and ultimately had to have the lug straightened out.

Thanks for your reply tylerw02. Everything appears centered and mounts evenly, and I am using 65 inch lbs. But it begins to bind well before that. This weekend I am going to try to come up with a creative way to determine the contact points.

I saw the same exact thing when a friend replaced a rem xmk pro trigger. He had driven the pins in a little bit much, and as soon as I tapped them back off a little bit , the binding stopped. ??? Crazy I know

My 5r was rubbing on the side of the stock causing a bind,used a dremel and sandpaper to fix the problem.

Re: Remington 700 SA in HS: bolt release binding

Check the trigger hanger cross pins for drag on the bolt stop- Check the in-letting around the release for drag/ interference with the stock.

Re: Remington 700 SA in HS: bolt release binding

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: badzero</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check the trigger hanger cross pins for drag on the bolt stop- Check the in-letting around the release for drag/ interference with the stock. </div></div>

What he said^^^^^

If it doesn't bind while out of the stock it is fore sure a clearence issue... I would also like to add; you should skim bed that HS stock regardless of the aluminum block. I have always seen an improvement after bedding and it is easy to do yourself. Check out the gunsmithing section, there is a "sticky" on bedding jobs and has all the info you need.