• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SD-AAC brake question...

Sooter76

Private
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Lincoln, NE
This is probably a stupid question, but my understanding is that the threaded barrel for the R700 SD-AAC was designed with the use of Advanced Armament Corps suppressors and muzzle attachments in mind. If this is accurate does this mean that AAC's brakes and comps do not require installation by a smith?

I have one and installed the AAC brake myself with the supplied shims and rockset. I found it to be pretty easy job.

I have one from Ross Schuler. Apparently they have to be timed by a smith. I didn't know this and installed it on my AAC-sd. It was a perfect fit and never had to be tuned by a smith. It lined right up. The AAC brakes from what I've heard come with shims so you can time it yourself. Just my .02 worth.

i have the 51t aac brake on mine works fine and timing it with the supplied shims is as easy as it gets... i tightened mine by hand and didnt even bother with the rockset glue, makes for easier cleaning.

The threading is for any brake/suppressor manufacturer. The thread pitch is the industry standard for your caliber. Remington and AAC fall under the same investment group so they naturally partnered up the companies.

The threading is for any brake/suppressor manufacturer. The thread pitch is the industry standard for your caliber. Remington and AAC fall under the same investment group so they naturally partnered up the companies.

I found this to be inaccurate with my experience. At the base of the threads just before the shoulder there is a section of the barrel with no threading that is "generally" removed but with the aac-sd it is not. This caused my suppressor to not contact the shoulder at all.

Pulled this pic off the web. Which shows the area of metal behind the threads that I think should not be there if they wanted a "normal" thread job.
aac-sdcrapthreads_zps56f5fbde.jpg

This picture was also pulled from the web and shows the crap 90 degree cut on the barrel that remington sends out... A barrel without a crown job...
aac-sdcrapcrown_zpsc7192b1a.jpg

How the hell do more people not complain about this stuff... Maybe I am just weird.

Anyways, I know for sure that after I had my gunsmith cut the barrel back to 19" and re-crown / thread the barrel it now shoots noticeably better...

Last edited:
Very strange on the barrel, mine has a crown, and threads all the way back, I have an AAC 91t break on mine, else I'd take a picture.

Personally I am of the opinion to let a gunsmith install a muzzle device, I'm capable and have the tools, but if you have access to a reliable and competent smith, I would use em.

Remington 700 SD-AAC brake question...

I found this to be inaccurate with my experience. At the base of the threads just before the shoulder there is a section of the barrel with no threading that is "generally" removed but with the aac-sd it is not. This caused my suppressor to not contact the shoulder at all.

Pulled this pic off the web. Which shows the area of metal behind the threads that I think should not be there if they wanted a "normal" thread job.
aac-sdcrapthreads_zps56f5fbde.jpg

This picture was also pulled from the web and shows the crap 90 degree cut on the barrel that remington sends out... A barrel without a crown job...
aac-sdcrapcrown_zpsc7192b1a.jpg

How the hell do more people not complain about this stuff... Maybe I am just weird.

Anyways, I know for sure that after I had my gunsmith cut the barrel back to 19" and re-crown / thread the barrel it now shoots noticeably better...

Hmmm. I was under the impression that the non-threaded area was a relief cut to allow for proper lock up of the brake. I've read that the 51t works fine, but that other aac devices, including flash hiders don't fit properly because of that.

I too, however, wonder about the 90 degree crown . . . Seems like a regular 11 degree crown, brake or not, would be the way to do it. My R700 suffers from the 90 degree too, but I suppose it's meant to be braked, and so that's that. No need to protect the crown with a recess, or so I guess the reasoning goes at Remington.

Last edited:
Im not saying that nothing will work with the factory threads except the aac devices. Just saying that you should be aware that the threading is not meant for universal fitment. If I have time I will take a pic if my threads and crown.