• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Remington 700 SPS .308 Scopes?

Rem700SPS

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2013
I'm just getting into long range shooting and picked up a Rem700 SPS in .308. Right now ive got a cheapo Tasco 3-9x40, its not enough for what i want to do, im looking for a scope to coyote and deer hunt, plus shoot up to 600-1000 yards whats a good recommendation for a great scope, im looking at a Vortex Viper. I'm not looking to spend over 500 dollars, any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated...Thanks

I don't know what part of the country you live in but for a whitetail hunting scope where I live .
I sometimes need to be able to dial down to 3 x or 4 x

I don't always stand hunt. A lot of things to think about when you add in whitetail hunting and also be able to hit steel or paper out to 1000

I'm eastern Kentucky. Yeah, i know what ya mean, its gonna be a kind of do it all scope, plus the coyotes are real bad here, so i was hoping i could bust them before they get too close. Ive been looking at a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 with the Mil-Dot reticle. I cant remember if its the HS or PST model..

I picked up a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 PST FFP and love it on my .700 .308. Not sure if you can find it for $500, you might need to throw in a few more bills. Keep looking in the for sale section since this is the forum to find a good product and fair price.

Click image for a larger view. The cars are 1200 yards from my work bench.
IMG_2439.jpg

Last edited:
If it's the PST it will run you a little more than $500
I ended up buying a 6 x 24 PST , liked it so much bought another.

You can also take a look at the 4 x 16 vortex

Whats everybodys opinion on Vortex scopes, ive got their Strikefire red dot on my ar, best red dot ive owned.

A scope that doesn't hold a zero is broken. Send it back or throw it out.

Then put a 10x Mil/Mil Super Sniper on the rifle for $299.

Its shot, its definetly goin in the garbage. Ill check on those super sniper scopes. thanks

Yeah, ive found a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA on Natchez Shooters Supply, 459.99.

I can't comment on the viper series , never used or looked through one.

The only one I can recommend is the PST series , I don't like giving advise or commenting on something I haven't used.

The only thing I will comment on is shooting out to 1000 or more you want the best scope you can afford

I can't comment on the viper series , never used or looked through one.

The only one I can recommend is the PST series , I don't like giving advise or commenting on something I haven't used.

The only thing I will comment on is shooting out to 1000 or more you want the best scope you can afford
I understand i think ive looked throught a PST before, but i can remember its been a while back maybe a month
, ive looked through a lot of scopes, and it seems as clear as anything that ive looked through, not as clear as a Nightforce,but clear enough for what i want to do.

My brother has the same rifle you do and has had it for 3 years. He mounted a Konus Pro M30 6-24X44 model 7281 on it and has had absolutely no problems with it. Good glass, resolution and tracking. 1/10 mil/mil illuminated reticle. I have always been a Nightforce guy but after seeing the results he has had I ordered one for my Colt 6721 Enhanced Varmint model. I have used it for 6 months now and it has performed flawlessly. It can be had from Amazon.com for $319.95 with free shipping.

Last edited:
One of my personal rifles is a 700P LTR, and with it's 18" fluted I did not want some monster size scope. Got a March-F 3x-24x 42mm FFP and I super pleased with it.

This.

Easily the best scope for the $ at reasonable money.

Yes the 10X SS is a lot of scope for the price. But, it is not the best for deer. If you have to go fixed, 4X is as much magnification as you will need/want. Mk4 6.5 x 20 was way too much at the low end.

OFG