• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Tac Build 6.5 Creedmoor

Bmcgeev

Private
Minuteman
Jan 8, 2020
I recently purchased the Remington 700 sps tactical in 6.5 Creedmoor. I’d like to build this rifle for precision but am not sure where to start with upgrading the firearm. I figured a stock would be a good start but I’ve been humbled by all the options available. My first thought was to go with a magpul stock but that also sounds like a poor choice in the long run if I’m going to be serious here. I’m currently using a vortex viper HS 4-16\50 optic. I’m new to precision shooting and this page, thank you in advance for any assistance.

Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶
Replace the factory X-Mark Pro trigger with a Triggertech (Primary or Special or Diamond) and ammo. Then maybe a KRG Bravo or a MPA BA chassis or XLR chassis or MDT ACC or ... There are lots of chassis/stock options as you've noticed.

Have you shot this rifle? Like, is it broken in and you feel like there's some potential for accuracy in it? I've been down the road you're looking down right now and it can end up in disappointment so I suggest you do everything you can to make sure it will shoot before you dump money into it.

Bob

Reactions: Maggot
Replace the factory X-Mark Pro trigger with a Triggertech (Primary or Special or Diamond) and ammo. Then maybe a KRG Bravo or a MPA BA chassis or XLR chassis or MDT ACC or ... There are lots of chassis/stock options as you've noticed.
Thanks for the help. I looked at the trigger tech products and think I’ll try the premium as the diamond says it’s only for cloned actions.

Have you shot this rifle? Like, is it broken in and you feel like there's some potential for accuracy in it? I've been down the road you're looking down right now and it can end up in disappointment so I suggest you do everything you can to make sure it will shoot before you dump money into it.

Bob
Yes I’ve put ten rounds through it so far. Right out the box I zeroed the scope and took a deer. Other than that I thought it would have potential just based on what I know about the 700’s history. I suppose I should run it some before going all in, thanks for that point.

Your first thought shoulda been to search your questions before posting the same vague/general question that gets asked every other day

Sorry bud, new here. I’ll read more of the threads.

No worries, and if you want actual advice, here's some:

1) Take/attend a course from a good/reputable company

2) dry fire / practice fundamentals of shooting as much as you can

3) Stick with a single rifle/load and shoot it for a year. (that means hundreds/thousands of rounds, not 10)

(Also in typical Hide fashion: your scope is trash, get a better one)

No worries, and if you want actual advice, here's some:

1) Take/attend a course from a good/reputable company

2) dry fire / practice fundamentals of shooting as much as you can

3) Stick with a single rifle/load and shoot it for a year. (that means hundreds/thousands of rounds, not 10)

(Also in typical Hide fashion: your scope is trash, get a better one)
Thanks you, I’m in Louisiana and believe the closest precision school is in Florida so I’m going to make it there.

As for for the scope, I’m considering the Steiner T5Xi 5-27/56, Bushnell HDMR and Nightforce. Researching that now in here.

Can you offer a good source for ammo?

I bought this same rifle but just the barreled action from eurooptic. My plans are a KRG bravo stock and trigger tech special.

Yeah, I’m leaning towards the same stock and trigger. What optic are you using?
I bought this same rifle but just the barreled action from eurooptic. My plans are a KRG bravo stock and trigger tech special.
I think I’m going with the same gear. What optic are you using?

Thanks you, I’m in Louisiana and believe the closest precision school is in Florida so I’m going to make it there.

As for for the scope, I’m considering the Steiner T5Xi 5-27/56, Bushnell HDMR and Nightforce. Researching that now in here.

Can you offer a good source for ammo?

Where are you in Louisiana? Do you see yourself shooting matches in the future? There are a few coming up soon.

Do you plan to reload or shoot factory ammo?

My Dad started with that same rifle, in the cheap Magpul stock and a Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50. He still enjoys shooting it and shoots it well, after having a custom rifle made.

Where are you in Louisiana? Do you see yourself shooting matches in the future? There are a few coming up soon.

Do you plan to reload or shoot factory ammo?

My Dad started with that same rifle, in the cheap Magpul stock and a Vortex Viper HST 6-24x50. He still enjoys shooting it and shoots it well, after having a custom rifle made.
I’m on the Northshore from New Orleans. I’d love to shoot matches, but there isn’t much outside of 3 gun matches here and in Mississippi.
For now I’m going to shoot factory but if I can pick up some good gear to reload I will.

I really purchased the rifle because of the deal at the time but decided I’d use it to start precision. If I enjoy it I’ll get a better package.

I’m on the Northshore from New Orleans. I’d love to shoot matches, but there isn’t much outside of 3 gun matches here and in Mississippi.
For now I’m going to shoot factory but if I can pick up some good gear to reload I will.

I really purchased the rifle because of the deal at the time but decided I’d use it to start precision. If I enjoy it I’ll get a better package.

Damn, that’s kinda far away. Most of the matches are north of you. Closest one would probably be Leesville and I think they’ll have one coming up late March/early April. There’s a match in Texarkana a week from today, and another in Pioneer, LA on February 29th

I would say get some Prime ammo but I’m not sure if it’s available right now. The factory Hornady match ammo loaded with 140grn ELD-Ms should give you good results. Tons of good info here, just use the search function.

Last edited:
Damn, that’s kinda far away. Most of the matches are north of you. Closest one would probably be Leesville and I think they’ll have one coming up late March/early April. There’s a match in Texarkana a week from today, and another in Pioneer, LA on February 29th

I would say get some Prime ammo but I’m not sure if it’s available right now. The factory Hornady match ammo loaded with 140grn ELD-Ms should give you good results. Tons of good info here, just use the search function.
I think Leesville is the closest, about two hours away. Thanks for the info I’m going to look into the matches and ammo suggestions.

Reactions: JC0352