• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 700 sps tact. .308

sunset89AK

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2010
alaska, anchorage
well i wasnt sure where to go to post but i have a few questions about it.

1. How do you correct the mounting holes and if you can how/ if not ill make due.

2. what other ammo has anyone used other then federal gold match ammo. anything else out there or is that the better end for the rifle????

3. I live in alaska and currently service. im due to PCS next year and dont know where ill be going, so with that in mind, what scope can i get the most out of with out knowing what kind of range ill be limited too

Re: remington 700 sps tact. .308

1. Assuming your talking about scope mounting holes, Any decent gunsmith will take care of that for you, shouldn't cost you very much

2. Its really hit or miss, my SPS-T will shoot just about anything I feed it but look into Horidays TAP ammo. Its match quality for alot less.

3. There are a number of low cost scopes that are a good start. My personal preference is a Super Sniper in 10x for that set up. will serve you well for a long time.

ive looked into the super sniper. seems like an amazing scope but just dont have the money for it right now.

and thank you for the advice with the gunsmith and the ammo. was sick of hearing people say stuff about the FGM. Figured there had to be something else to still get the sub.5 moa out of the rifle

Bushnell make a 10x mil-dot for about $200 and I think Millit has a decent scope thats even less. Depends on your budget.

Get what you can afford and shoot the piss out of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blacksunset</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well i wasnt sure where to go to post but i have a few questions about it.

1. How do you correct the mounting holes and if you can how/ if not ill make due.<span style="color: #009900">Several gun smiths in Anchorage, Stan Jackson is the best but expensive and time consuming. Another one is at the corner of Dimond and Old Seward, I hear good things. Its been years since Fairbanks not real sure who is there these days.</span>

2. what other ammo has anyone used other then federal gold match ammo. anything else out there or is that the better end for the rifle????<span style="color: #009900">SavageSTag and myself ran a small unscientific shoot at Birchwood a couple months ago and GMM chrono with smallest difference and smallest groups. This is a 5 shot group at 100 with my 700 SPS with GMM175. </span>
Target6-1.jpg

3. I live in alaska and currently service. im due to PCS next year and dont know where ill be going, so with that in mind, what scope can i get the most out of with out knowing what kind of range ill be limited too <span style="color: #009900">My 700 has SS 10x and I also have Bushnell mildot I picked up for about $150 at SW, while the Bushy does not have the tactical look, no parallax adj or 120 moa adj, works just fine out to 400 yards for half the cost.</span></div></div>

Oops, Hornady match for $26 per box shot real well out of both our sticks. Also, I shot AE150gr for near a year learning to shoot again.

You want 'cheap' match quality ammo? You can reload. Black Hills, Federal, Hornady are all good match grade in 168gr and 175gr. Shorter barrel will work with either, but the 175 doesn't stabilize until about 300+/-M
Save your money, eat some raman, and go with the SWFA SS kit. You will be happier in the long run.
Since you are going to have your mount holes aligned, do so with 8 - 40 screws(go large) up from the OEM size. It helps to absorb recoil on a heavy scope package.
Slow down, breathe easier, look back, and pay more attention to detail. Check your typing in other words. If you do not have the patience to spell/grammar check you think you will have it for accurate shooting?
grin.gif