• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS tactical .223 question

derrelw

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2011
New Mexico
Hi guys I have a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .223 and I'm trying to work up a good accurate load using 69gr SMK w/ Ramshot Tac and or Varget powders. I don't know how to find the best seating depth for this rifle. I have tried the 2.260 oal and worked up to 2.300 but I'm not happy with the results (good but not great). Any suggestions?

Re: Remington 700 SPS tactical .223 question

What's your barrel twist?

My SPS Tactical likes 24.0 Grains of H4895 the best with that bullet. Never tried RamShot, but it does not shoot well with Varget.

Seat it as far out as possible as long as it fits the magazine unless it bumps the lands. Then back off a few thousands.

Mine is a good 1/2 MOA shooter.

Sherlok

What is your oal with the 69gr SMK? I tried to do the dummy round just barely seated and close the bolt to bottom out the bullet and it came out to 2.319.

BTW I just finished reading the stickied Handloads posts and they helped a lot. I'm off to my bench.
Thanks!

YMMV, but my rem tact loves this load: 69smk seated at 2.250" over 25.3 grains varget in Winchester or LC brass using WSR or Standard CCI or Federal primers.

It shoots groups of 5 at 100 that routinely measure in the .3's CTC and always under .5's and in a custom barreled action tighter still. (its my smack the smiley match load) My velocity in the tactical is 2820 fps and about 30fps faster in the custom barrel.

I have not shot this in my AR yet but it was given to me by some high power AR shooters.