• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Tactical issues...

flyfisher117

Professional Milk Jug Hunter
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
Idaho
when i cycle a new bullet into the chamber the gun scratches the crud outta the case... i know where its scratching but im not sure how to fix it?

shotgroup003.jpg

ok if you can make any sense out of this picture and see my circles as to where it is scratching. theres a little ledge that the bolt slides on and its just above the magazine im guessing this ledge is also what helps hold the shells in from shooting back out the top of the magazine but it scratches them and when the rim and primer end go past that it REALLY scratches that part up.. and then also wonce the shell is in and you close the bolt it fits very snugly with the shell like it takes a bit of pressure to get the bolt closed...

scratching004-1.jpg

Re: Remington 700 SPS Tactical issues...

The chamber isn't doing that it's what your pic is suggesting the feed rails.

You can take the action out of the stock and take a stone or paper to knock the edge off the feed rails but you will never totally eliminated those scratches. Brass is softer then steel and it's going to get dinged up.

why is it destroying brass though? ive seen small scratches from other guns of mine but never had one do this did they forget to deburr it?... here is a brass that i have that i cycled 13 or 14 times... look at the rim. i cant get very good pictures.

scratching007.jpg

scratching010.jpg

i couldnt get a close enough picture of the rim but its all dinged up and pretty deformed in areas.

That isnt right or normal. It is the feed ramp that has too sharp of an edge. I really do not know the best course of action to fix this but i would try a stone and see if that helps at all. best of luck with it.

would a gunsmith be able to help me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">would a gunsmith be able to help me? </div></div>you can do it yourself i would think if you have the tools.

Mine did the same thing, it'll go away eventually. What I did is get some dummy rounds (4) and practice dry firing and cycle the bolt about 100 times. Now it will just leave a very light scratch every now and then, nothing a tumbler can't fix.

im sure i can but i busted my butt this summer and saved up for this gun and dont want to mess it up worse than ever. but what i was thinking was just take 4 or 5 brass and keep cycling them through the gun yes the brass is softer than steel but wouldnt it dull this edge enough to where its not going to destory the brass and just mark them like stated above?

The rim of the brass, is that there isnt a big enough relief cut for the extractor to "push" itself back into to allow it to snap over the rim.....it gives the impression of a short headspaced chamber. You can either grind/fit/grind/fit the rim of the extractor and see if that helps.

But when doing that, once you get to much the metal gets soft, and there is a fine line between extracting and not doing anything anymore. Take it slow and keep test fitting it as you go.

As for the scratches, thats going to happen, you cant totally eliminate that, but you can take a piece of emery cloth and slick it up a little bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rim of the brass, is that there isnt a big enough relief cut for the extractor to "push" itself back into to allow it to snap over the rim.....it gives the impression of a short headspaced chamber. You can either grind/fit/grind/fit the rim of the extractor and see if that helps.

But when doing that, once you get to much the metal gets soft, and there is a fine line between extracting and not doing anything anymore. Take it slow and keep test fitting it as you go.

As for the scratches, thats going to happen, you cant totally eliminate that, but you can take a piece of emery cloth and slick it up a little bit. </div></div>

ok im a little confused? what is the exractor doing? because i see the rim getting messed up when chambering the round because its rubbing right up on the feed rails... and i know brass get scratches but these scratches are fairly deep.. deep enough that i can feel them

I understand how you feel. I would just slightly rub the edge off of the feed rail and cycle those rounds a bunch. If that doesnt help then i would have a gunsmith deal with it. Good Luck

I have that problem too, but it looks much worse than it actually is. If you reload, a quick tumble removes most of it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HDC-Deadly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The rim of the brass, is that there isnt a big enough relief cut for the extractor to "push" itself back into to allow it to snap over the rim.....it gives the impression of a short headspaced chamber. You can either grind/fit/grind/fit the rim of the extractor and see if that helps.

As for the scratches, thats going to happen, you cant totally eliminate that, but you can take a piece of emery cloth and slick it up a little bit. </div></div>

ok im a little confused? what is the exractor doing? because i see the rim getting messed up when chambering the round because its rubbing right up on the feed rails... and i know brass get scratches but these scratches are fairly deep.. deep enough that i can feel them </div></div>

The extractor isn't doing anything. The scratches are from the feed rails and or the feed ramp. The extractor issue was a common issue with some .223 rifles but the .223's I've seen as of late are fine. I've never seen this extractor issue with the larger calibers, and yours dosen't show any issues with the extractor.

My SPS Varmint did that. I just polished the bottom of the rails on the receiver with fine grit sandpaper and it's gone.

mine is a .223 and the extractor seems to be working... but ive emailed Remington if they wont help me ill just get some 800 grit sand paper and sand the rail down and take the sharpness out of it.

Take some cases and load them into the mag. Top off the mag and push the bolt forward on an empty chamber. You will need to press down on the top case just enough to get the bolt started forward so it doesn’t chamber that round. Once the bolt is over the rim, release the pressure on the cases in the mag. Cycle the bolt forward and back to the open position and inspect the top case in the mag.

I had this problem with my 308 tactical. In my case it was the bottom of the bolt itself.

Even with the rear of the bolt lugs there was a high spot where either the bolt body was turned down a hair too much or more likely when the lugs where machined the area between them was not cut down and blended. At any rate, a dremmel, poishing wheel and some polishing compound made quick work of blending this ledge. If that ends up being the same problem your having you can fix it just go slow. You will end up removing some of the factory black finish in that area. I can post a picture if needed.

Hey mate, I had that EXACT same issue, when I first got my SPS. I found that it was slightly sliding on a strip of surface rust under that very lip you have in the large circle of your picture that is easy to miss when cleaning to store.

Also have you greased up your mag spring and housing? Make sure its not catching any where, so check for more rust spots along the wall of the housings. If that is not the case then I would say take it to a gun smith to machine the action guide smooth.

Mine too leaves some light marks, one from the bottom of the bolt and the other from the rail, not losing sleep.

my 223 did that remove it from the stock and with some 600grit paper lightly sand the under side of the area in your pics(circles) problem solved,you`ll find some small burrs under there that are cutting up your brass

M855 is braver than I....I started with 1000 grit and finished it off with 5 mil fiber optic lapping paper....he beat me to the post too
smile.gif

What I did.....and it helps out alot.....remove the action from the stock and you can either take a very fine file (depending on how comfortable you are) or take some fine grit (1000+)and work the sharp edges off the feed rails being careful not to take off too much. What you will be looking for is a smooth and uniform surface. Sure beats cycling five million times to achieve the same objective

Bryan

I had this problem with my SPS tac. It was the mag spring housing that was scratching the cases. I took a dremel to it and smoothed out the sharp corners where the bullet feeds.

Fixed the problem.

i dont know this whole ordeal is just $#%^@#% me off... i order the gun and wait a month to get it... i finally get it and its destroying my brass so now i cant shoot it for another week maybe two till i get this fixed. i used to like remington but it seems lately they are dropping off in quality of firearms might have to start looking at savage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tbag</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mine too leaves some light marks, one from the bottom of the bolt and the other from the rail, not losing sleep. </div></div>

if these were light i wouldnt mind either but i cycled that one brass 13 or 14 times i just got it out of the tumbler after 3 or 4 hours and some of the scratching is gone but there are still some very deep ones.

I have new sps tac never been fired. I took a one piece of new empty brase and put it in the mag and put a dot on it with a magic marker to mark the top and chambered it, pulled it out and looked at it and with the mark at the top the scratches sure look like they line up with the feed rails. I think it is like HateCA said.

Just my .02 Ken.

Truly easy enough to lightly hit it with some oiled wet/dry 600/1000 sand paper and be done in just a couple of minutes. Just break the edge until it just smooth, don't go over board and then test drive your brass again. You will get it to where you want it. Remember you are starting out with purely a production rifle.

i know its just i dont want to mess something up

I honestly think it's something that has simply been over looked n its final touches. A gun smith should not take more than an hour to fix it for you if you are not that confident.

To me its a small glitch to a rifle that I now love to shoot when ever I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the noobie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i dont know this whole ordeal is just $#%^@#% me off... i order the gun and wait a month to get it... i finally get it and its destroying my brass so now i cant shoot it for another week maybe two till i get this fixed. i used to like remington but it seems lately they are dropping off in quality of firearms might have to start looking at savage. </div></div>

Dude, you really need to relax.

Do you honestly think some scratches are "destroying" your brass? Are you using it for jewelry when you are done? Do the girls give you the cold shoulder because your brass isn't as neat looking as the other anal retentive guy at the other end of the firing line?

Brass holds your powder, bullet and primer in alignment until ignition. As long as it completes that job and seals the chamber properly why do you care if there are scratches on it?

If you ever use that rifle for anything more than holding down a bench, your brass is going to get dented, lost, stepped on, crushed or any other on the list of how to really "destroy" brass.

If it's really bothering you, then take some sandpaper to the feed rails. Just make sure you break the rifle down completely, plug the chamber and clean the hell out of it when you are done. You really don't want to find out later that the grit you missed is lapping your bolt lugs.

If you don't want to deal with little glitches like this, don't buy "entry level" rifles. I can tell you from personal experience there is a world of difference in fit and finish between a $500 production rifle and a $4000 production rifle.

When it all comes down to it, the problem you describe has absolutely no impact on the function or accuracy of the rifle.

Same rifle, same problem. Take it out of the stock, and take some sand paper and knock the edge down on the feed lips. Made a world of difference. Or shoot steel cased ammo for a while, that'll do it too. Could put a center feed DBM in there too and that will fix it as well. Or just send it back to remmy and wait. If the extractor is marring the rim, polish it up. If you call remmy they will send you a new one, in case you polish yours too much.