• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Tactical or SPS Varmint in 308?

1975CJ5

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2010
Wasilla Alaska
What do you think is more accurate out of the box? I like the long barrel on the SPS 700V but the range reviews on the SPS Tactical were better than the 700V. I plan to put a HS Precision stock on it, so it should get the groups down on both. I plan on using it as a hunting, varmint rifle in Alaska for Wolf, Coyote, Lynx and Fox if I'm lucky enough. Anyone have both, if som which one do you like more? What do you think would suit me better. I already have a 308 SPS Varmint and put a 223 Tactical on layaway for predator hunting, just seeing what you guys think is more accurate, I know I'm talking 223 now but am still curious on the 2 308's how they compare.
Thanks Billy Jack

Re: Remington 700 SPS Tactical or SPS Varmint in 308?

I have both in .308. Both are .5 MOA or better.. and either should serve you very well. If you are going to be hiking the Tact may be the way to go (less weight).

well considering my screen name is Tib's <span style="font-weight: bold">sps.tac</span> you already know my opinion.

However, i have never owned a sps V so i will not pretend i know how it handles.

Like Pinmaster said the sps tac is a .5 MOA rifle all day. I have a muzzle break on mine so the kick back is null making it the smoothest most accurate rifle i have ever used. I do recommend you putting a custom stock on it though.

I have both and the only difference between them is 50-100 fps favoring the varmint, depending on what you are feeding them... and the ease of handling/balance/transport that the tactical provides.

If I could only have one... It would be the tactical because of it's ease of handling and balance.

I'm sold on 20" rifles! My Savage 10FP 308, and R700 LTR are both .5moa avg shooters. Plus theres just somthing sweet about a 20" heavy barreled rifle
laugh.gif

I have both of the sps tacticals both great shooters almost got rid of the 223 till i tried some 75gr hornadys in it now its here to stay.the 223 didnt like the light stuff. and the 308 is just as sweet i love the feel of the shorter barrel personally just balances better for me. i also have a vsf in 308 it rarely gets picked up any more tactical is my pick hope this helps

I have a .308 varmint that shoots like "a house afire" with Varget and 168 SMK's. It is in a heavy A-5 and balances at the recoil lug, making it easy to shoot and not bad to carry.

My Varmint shoots awesome. I would say go with it for target and distance shooting, but if your going to be hunting with it go with the tactical. It seems to shoot about the same. Haven't held one but my Varmint isn't something I'd like to carry around in the woods.

The sps tactical is pretty awesome. The stock is horrible. I can't get comfortable at all behind it. With another stock the sps tactical makes a great out of the box rifle. My accuracy is about the same as others report.

I've owned both.

I had the 700V in a HS stock and found it was really quite heavy for lugging around hunting and I honestly didn't care for the stock at all.

I now have the 700 tact that I've stiffened up the stock on and like it much better.

They both shot the same accuracy wise. The Varmint was heavier and easier to spot your own hits with. The Tact is way way better for using as a dual purpose range/field gun.

The recoil on the TAC is that bad. In fact I find it better than my HS stock. The HS Stock has no recoil pad...just a plastic butt plate that knocks the crap out of you.

Billy, I have the sps V, never had or shot tac but I do use the v for hunting and it does become an pain to lug around. If I were to do it again I would go the tac route.