• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS tactical upgrades

AK49

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2014
I am considering getting a Rem 700 SPS in 308 and putting a Bell and Carlson m40 stock on it and replacing the POS stock trigger with a timney and then add a harris bi pod, 20MOA pic rail

As far as a scope goes not sure what to do, but this is a budget do it yourself build...

I can buy Federal 308 bulk ammo for 65 cents per round and federal gold medal ammo for $1.15 per round...

Any recommendations on this build as far as upgrades, etc

Since you said "budget", it sounds like you are on the right track with your choices so far. Definitely switch out the stock, and the trigger would be my second upgrade.
Although, some peoples budget would be about 5 times what mine would be.

Euro optic has good deals on vortex scopes and SWFA 10x is a good choice also. Don't shoot crappy ammo, the gold medal match is great factory rounds I'd go with that.

I just finished putting a Bell & Carlson M40 Stock w/ new metal bottom on my Rem.700 AAC, also installed a Timney Straight Trigger, and toped it off w/ Leupod M4 3.5x10 Illm. Mil. Dot. wasn't hard to change everything out(Trigger was easy couple of pins and the bolt spring) and I looked around on the internet and found most the parts on sale. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• Rem1.JPG
    Rem1.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 153
  • Rem4.JPG
    Rem4.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 95
  • Rem5.JPG
    Rem5.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 91

Rem 700 sps 16.5"
Egw base.
Burris xtr rings
B&c M40 stock
Primary arms 4x 14 x44 ffp

Plan on adding Harris bipod
New trigger (not sure which one yet)
One day a nicer scope .
Pa isn't a bad scope for the money. But I only have 40 rds out of the tube , so far.

I have several R700 SPSs. All of mine got B&C Medalists, Timney 510s, and scopes appropriate to their tasks....Vortexes, Leupy (hunting), or NightForces. I use Harris swivel bipeds in 6-9" size. I skim bed them in the B&Cs. All are free-floated.

Good shooters all.

FH

A better stock and proper bedding.
Bolt knob if it floats your boat.
Bottom metal and mags / same as above.
Good base & optics.
Trigger
Bipod
Muzzle device
Suppressor
Ammo
Bacon

Buy it, scope it and shoot it for a base line. Just pick a decent quality optic and don't go cheap on the base and rings. Once you re-stock it, shoot it again and note any change performance; may or may not need bedding. After that it's kinda user preference. Trigger, cheek riser, bipod, sling, front rail, etc.

They arent very popular but i have come to appreciate fixed power optics. Extremely durable and lighter on wallet. Hard to beat the swfa SS 10x mil/mil that has HD glass for the price. Or the one with "regular" glass for hundreds less is excellent also. Also you might have to build up the comb of the stock to get proper cheek weld in prone position depending on your body type, so a stock pack or cheek riser may be necessary. Lastly i agree with the above statement on not skimping on the scope base and rings. Leupold mark 4 or Night Force is a winning bet for rings and base, but there are other quality choices as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i love mine. swfa 10x scope is amazing. i went with mcmillian stock i got from a member on here, and added dbm, started reloading because as was said on here factory ammo sucks, match ammo is so much better, have fun with it!.

Attachments

• nstock2rsz.JPG
    nstock2rsz.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 57
  • frey targerszt.JPG
    frey targerszt.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 64
I started out a few years ago with nearly the exact same "kit".

Couple things to add:
1) Get the wheeler fat wrench to properly torque action, base, scope rings, etc. since you'll be taking it apart and redoing things.

2) stick with a fixed 10x so simplify things.

3) read the ring height sticky and get the correct ring heights (most likely lows).

4) get a stock pad with cheek pads so you have the right cheek weld with your eye level to be scope. Later you can upgrade the stock to a McMillan or Manner or drill holes for a kydex cheek rest.

5) read the gunsmithing section. You'll be surprised by how much you can improve the SPS (e.g. polishing the bolt cam, mag lips) on your own. These substantively address issues (like polishing he cam to improve bolt lift than getting bolt knob installed).

6) the aluminum block only provides partial contact. Read through the threads on skim bedding your stock. You can do this later when you see the a few parallel scratches indicating partial contact on the aluminum block.

Last edited:
Here's mine;

B&C 2958 stock with Tac-Pro cheek riser (and rattle can paint job)
Timney 510
Stocky's steel bottom metal bedded to stock
Leupold 15 MOA steel base bedded to receiver
Seekins low rings
SWFA SS HD 10X42 with shade and zero stops

With Federal GMM 168 grain, it is consistently sub .6 MOA, much better if I do my part.

Agreed, love the SWFA scope!

Agreed, feed it good ammo!

700-11.jpg

700target-4.jpg

I went the same route with mine. Remmy SPS Tactical with a 20 inch barrel. Bell and Carlson M40 stock, Timney 510 trigger, Badger 20MOA rail, Harris bipod w/Podloc. Wife got me a TAB Gear sling, Triad Tactical stock pouch and TAB Gear silent Ammo Carrier for my birthday. Now I am on the hunt for a Leupold MK4 scope for it.

While I had a 16xSWFA scope I have since replaced it with the Primary Arms FFP 4-14x4. I did not like the eye box(not eye relief) on the 16x SWFA but I'm sure the 10x being less magnification should be better.

Rem 700 SPS Varmint(26" 1:12 not 20" 1:10)
B&C M40 stock
Triad Tactical stock pack
Harris bipod(need the pod lock, cannot get the swivel adjuster knob tight enough by hand)
Timney 510 trigger
EGW bolt knob
EGW 20moa base
SFWA rings
Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP(pic is SWFA 16x)
Vortex bubble level
Barrel Threaded with Silencer Co Saker brake

I have a B&C m-40 stock on my 700 and love it . Its so much better than the tupper ware stock that comes with it . I have a leupold mk4 2.5 x 8 mil-dot and soon to install a timney trigger when ever I can quit reading reviews and select a model . I also need a better bi-pod . good luck and have fun .