• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 SPS Tactical

PsyopsE6

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
North Carolina
New guy here, Need a bit of help..what is the opinion on the Remington SPS Tactical in .308 with 20" barrel? I am just getting back to long range shooting and was looking at this rifle...Thanks for the help and thanks for our soldiers!

Re: Remington 700 SPS Tactical

Hi
I've been looking at this same rifle also. I've heard good and bad things about it. I've heard it is very accurate and easy to handle. I've heard that the stock is very flimsy/flexible on the forend and when placed on a bipod or a bag it will flex and touch the barrell therefor it's not "free-floated" when shooting. I've been looking at the SPS Tacticle, the LTR, and the Savage 10PC and I finally decided this morning to go with the 10PC. It has a 20" heavy barrell, oversized bolt handle, accu-stock with aluminum bedding, accu-trigger and it's a savage so it's gonna be a shooter. I honestly think the SPS tacticle would be a great gun out of the box and even better if you replaced the cheap Hogue stock that comes on it with a B&C or a HS Pres.

Its probably the most popular starter precision tactical rifle. A few dollars more and you can get the m700 5r milspec, what many consider the best out-of-box factory rifle.

Welcome to the hide! There is a ton of information regarding that particular rifle on here. Dig through the search function its endless. I am sure the opinions you will encounter will vary. Alot of these guys on here are extremely knowledgable and as your may already know many are into shooting ticks off a coyotes ass at 800 yds. Anyhow, I have had three sps and now down to one. Two of them were shooters and never shot the third. I put a aics stock on it and some decent glass. Tweaked the trigger no regrets.

With a good stock, trigger job and match ammo/handloads it will generally outshoot most of the people behind it.

Not a bad initial investment of around $550, plus you can upgrade as money comes in.

I recently purchased the SPS (plan 'ol version - 24" I think). I also have the aforementioned 5R milspec.

While my 5R can shoot dimes (at 100 yards) all day long, the SPS can only shoot quarter (perhaps 50 cent pieces).

The 5R admittedly can shoot better than I can. The SPS I think doesn't shoot as good as I can.

So if I had to keep one? I'd keep the 5R.

Now the way I have it set up, it's not a hunting rifle. The SPS is. So the "inaccuracy" (compared to the 5R) will be just fine for hunting.

Either one is not a bad choice.

Robert

A few dollars? Around my neck of the woods a SPS TAC is still $549 a R5 is $950-$1000

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M855</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A few dollars? Around my neck of the woods a SPS TAC is still $549 a R5 is $950-$1000 </div></div>

That's about what I paid for both of mine within the last 9 months.

Robert

I have one and mine shoots very good. I agree with the stock comments, but the trigger worked fine for me. For the price it is a pretty decent gun.

I have one and a few of my friends have one. Made 800 yard shoots all day long on steel. If if doesn't shoot good enough for you get it trued, rebarreled, etc.

I am new to long range and bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308 I changed out the stock and got a pretty ok scope on it. I am loving it shoots real good have not done anything to it except change the stock. I am going to a NC Sniper School in April I hope to learn alot from there. I will let you know how it does while at the school.
P1010027.jpg

P1010030.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi
I've been looking at the SPS Tacticle, the LTR, and the Savage 10PC and I finally decided this morning to go with the 10PC. It has a 20" heavy barrell, oversized bolt handle, accu-stock with aluminum bedding, accu-trigger and it's a savage so it's gonna be a shooter... </div></div>

Good choice on the 10PC... only a Medium Contour barrel though. Just FYI.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmcalhany</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased the SPS (plan 'ol version - 24" I think). I also have the aforementioned 5R milspec.

While my 5R can shoot dimes (at 100 yards) all day long, the SPS can only shoot quarter (perhaps 50 cent pieces).

The 5R admittedly can shoot better than I can. The SPS I think doesn't shoot as good as I can.

Now the way I have it set up, it's not a hunting rifle. The SPS is. So the "inaccuracy" (compared to the 5R) will be just fine for hunting.

Robert </div></div>

Robert,

I'm going to have to violently disagree with you about the SPS-T. If I had the money at the time I bought mine, I would have gotten a 5R. But seriously, the 5R is about DOUBLE what an SPS-Tactical usually goes for. And as far as accuracy goes, I've shot both guns and I don't see that huge a difference in accuracy. The 5R is maybe an RCH better out of the box compared to an SPS-T with a better stock. Even with the original Hogue stock, I could get consistent 3/4 or better MOA out of mine with some occasional .5-.6" groups when I did my part. I have an HS precision stock off of a 5R now and I'm very happy with the accuracy of the SPS-T.

In fact just yesterday, several hide members and I did an long range shoot in the desert. Here's the steel plate we were shooting at at 1000 yds. I got bored with just going for the center mass, so I started shooting at the black hostage-taker section next to the head.
DSC05158.jpg

The two spots immediately low on the shoulder below the hostage-taker were with my SPS-T and I was having to guesstimate hold over using the reticle because my scope was out of up mils. Still pretty damn close though with a $450 gun with a 20" barrel at that range.

This is a 100yd group I shot during load development with the gun. I wouldn't call this "mediocre" accuracy and I'm not a great shooter by any means.
IMG_1141.jpg

Are your "dime sized groups" 3-shots or 5?

Anyway, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest about who's rifle is better. As I said if I had the cash for the 5R and moeny left over for a good optic, that would have been one of my top choices. But you are certainly NOT getting double the accuracy for DOUBLE the price out of the 5R over the SPS-T. Its a great gun for what it is: a budget "starter" precision rifle with the potential for very good accuracy. Will it ever beat up on a GAP or AI custom rifle? Nope, but then again it doesn't cost $3000 either. And I was shooting against some high dollar guns at 1000 yds and holding my own with them.

IMG_1129.jpg

I am a new shooter and have went with the sps tac in .308. It does still out shoot me, very happy so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger happy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a new shooter and have went with the sps tac in .308. It does still out shoot me, very happy so far. </div></div>

And you will continue to be happy with it. I was amazed at its potential for a budget gun. It was my starter rifle too but its far exceeded my expectations. Will I ever win a bench rest match with it? Doubt it.

I was remarking to another Hide member in a PM that I'm planning on eventually either re-barreling this gun or getting a custom barrel/action. The SPS-T was always intended as a starter gun. The only real thing I struggle with is I have to push handloads a LOT harder than some of the other guys with 22-26" custom barrels because you give up so much velocity at really long range. So to get to 1K and keep the bullet supersonic - I run a lot hotter than the others. So while I can and have shot sub MOA at 1K with it, I have to work a lot harder than the guys with custom sticks do. But I actually have learned MORE from that experience of having to work hard with a stock factory gun than just spending $3K and buying my accuracy. I feel like I've learned more about reloading and what factors go into squeezing every ounce of accuracy and having to really work to do my part behind the trigger.

I like the gun so much, I'm really thinking of keeping it intact because the 20" gun is so damn handy. I think it'll have a lot of uses. If I ever get to the point of being able to afford a more expensive gun, I'll do it. But the SPS-T will always have a place in my heart and in my safe.

Thanks for the reply, i am really digging the length, it is damn handy for moving around. This is my first bull barrell as well and I love the fact that the barrell doesnt heat up as fast as some of the other hunting guns i have. Didnt want to rob the thread, sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ReaperDriver</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmcalhany</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I recently purchased the SPS (plan 'ol version - 24" I think). I also have the aforementioned 5R milspec.

Robert </div></div>

Robert,

I'm going to have to violently disagree with you about the SPS-T. If I had the money at the time I bought mine, I would have gotten a 5R. But seriously, the 5R is about DOUBLE what an SPS-Tactical usually goes for. And as far as accuracy goes, I've shot both guns and I don't see that huge a difference in accuracy. The 5R is maybe an RCH better out of the box compared to an SPS-T with a better stock. Even with the original Hogue stock, I could get consistent 3/4 or better MOA out of mine with some occasional .5-.6" groups when I did my part. I have an HS precision stock off of a 5R now and I'm very happy with the accuracy of the SPS-T.

In fact just yesterday, several hide members and I did an long range shoot in the desert. Here's the steel plate we were shooting at at 1000 yds. I got bored with just going for the center mass, so I started shooting at the black hostage-taker section next to the head.
DSC05158.jpg

The two spots immediately low on the shoulder below the hostage-taker were with my SPS-T and I was having to guesstimate hold over using the reticle because my scope was out of up mils. Still pretty damn close though with a $450 gun with a 20" barrel at that range.

This is a 100yd group I shot during load development with the gun. I wouldn't call this "mediocre" accuracy and I'm not a great shooter by any means.
IMG_1141.jpg

Are your "dime sized groups" 3-shots or 5?

Anyway, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest about who's rifle is better. As I said if I had the cash for the 5R and moeny left over for a good optic, that would have been one of my top choices. But you are certainly NOT getting double the accuracy for DOUBLE the price out of the 5R over the SPS-T. Its a great gun for what it is: a budget "starter" precision rifle with the potential for very good accuracy. Will it ever beat up on a GAP or AI custom rifle? Nope, but then again it doesn't cost $3000 either. And I was shooting against some high dollar guns at 1000 yds and holding my own with them.

IMG_1129.jpg
</div></div>

that is my exact next build after these ar's. it will shoot as good as i need it to for what i'm goin to do with it, plan on getting a 408 for long stuff anyways, cheap shoots great, more money for a nice piece of glass.

I have both of them and they are both excellent guns. I put an ai stock on the 5r and the 5r stock on the sps-t. The ai has shot lights out from the beginning and the sps-t hung with it pretty well. Since the 5r has been in the ai stock it is a great shooter. Since putting the sps-t in the 5r stock, it throws a couple of flyers every now and then. I think that this is only a bedding issue and shoud not be that hard to fix. I had the sps-t in an ai also and it did not have this problem. You would be splitting hairs to say one is much more accurate than the other but the 5r is much more polished a gun. The raceways on the action are alot smoother and the stainless is just better. Stock is much better so it comes down to what you like better in a gun, pretty vs effective. I wouldn't be in such a rush to jump out and get a custom made. Yeah you will get a little better accuracy and it will be nicer but you pay a whole lot for that 1/4 to 3/8 in better accuracy. A 1/2 in to 2/3 in factory gun is pretty damn sweet especially when you consider the cost to upgrade. My ai shot a couple of .2's yesterday with 168 grain smk hand loads but I could by 3+ 5r with what I payed for it and 6 of the sps-t's. I gained some accuracy but at a cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Josh Hall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reaper, what bottom metal or mag system are you using? </div></div>
CDI BM with the AI 10-round mag. Love both so far.

I think the SPS-T is one of the best deals in a tactical rifle anywhere. The price is great, and allow's just about anyone to get into LR shooting without buying junk. This is a rifle that works very well out of the box but can also grow with the shooter. It really need's nothing to start, (that new adj. trigger and the barr. they use really work well), but down the road you can add a good stock and / or bottom metal, bed it, by the time you shoot the barrel out and need a little more, you can then get it trued and put a real good barrel on it. "Waa-la" you now have a top notch rifle that grew with you and you didn't have to lay out $3000 all at once. Of course good glass is a must and should be put on from the begining so you don't have to change it later. NF or IOR would be good, but if $ is tight a Leupold Mark 4 will do.

I agree I have had both the 5R and the SPS, a SPS is capable of under 1/2" , the 5R around 3/8", the SPS is a heck of a rifle for the money.

My SPS-T setup is identical to Reaper's except that my stock is a B&C A2 medalist, devcon bedded, and a USO ST-10 scope. I am regularly and consistently shooting 3/4", 5 shot groups with this rifle but I am still in the load development stages. I just switched over from IMR 4064 powder to Varget and I'm hoping to get that last 1/4" out of it. We will see. These rifles definitely shoot, and you WILL NOT be disappointed with one.

4-1.jpg

BTW, I am also a big fan of CDI's bottom metal AND customer service. I have the CDI AI bottom metal on both of my long range rifles.

Reaper,

I am well pleased with mine as well. I'd like to put CDI bottom metal on it and may when I rebarrel it down the road!

But I find 175 SMKs or 178 AMAX's over 45 gr of Varget are outstanding as well; Right there in .75 MOA country, or less. I can even see it doing better in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot!

JimmyX2,

Yes sir, that's about where I want to go! Nice looking rig.

Happy New Year Gents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reaper,

I am well pleased with mine as well. I'd like to put CDI bottom metal on it and may when I rebarrel it down the road!

But I find 175 SMKs or 178 AMAX's over 45 gr of Varget are outstanding as well; Right there in .75 MOA country, or less. I can even see it doing better in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot!

JimmyX2,

Yes sir, that's about where I want to go! Nice looking rig.

Happy New Year Gents. </div></div>

QQ, Happy New Year to you as well.

Yes, I'm really toying with the idea of sending this rifle out to have a 22" Schneider put on it and just being done with it. I want to buy a GAP M40A5, but I'd have to sell my Savage first and that doesn't seem to be moving. So my next option is to rebarrel the SPS.

Get a round chamber, a straight bottom to the action, base holes that are drilled square, and your stock Remmy should be just fine.

The SPS T is a good rifle, and a great starting point if you want to build something up. I bought mine pretty much like Eagle Driver did, as a project gun. I quickly replaced the bottome metal, threaded the muzzle for a can, replaced the factory trigger with an older standard 700 trigger, and added a Badger knob. I tried to remove enough material from the barrel channel to let the barrel actually float when shooting from a rest or on a pod. That didn't work, so now I am waiting for an H-S LTR stock that should be here by Monday.
The CDI bottom metal is great, and Jeff's service is excellent as well.
Here's where mine started:

spsthoriz.jpg

And here's where it currenlty is, minus the H-S stock.

100_1704.jpg

gun1.jpg

Its a bad pic but I love this rifle. I got it while on a 4 day pass from Mobilization and started breaking it in while home on my 2 week R&R. When I was breaking it in I was getting under an inch. Of course that was still with the Hogue stock on it. As soon as I saw an HS stock on gunbroker I snagged it. My wife and brother but the stock on so I have yet to play with it. I still don't know if I want to go the DBM route or leave it as is, I've got an M1A so I've got the ammo capacity there.
Right now it has a Leupold Base, PRW Rings and a Mark2 3-9x40 w/MilDot scope on it. I'm about ready to say heck with it and get a Mark4 M1 3.5-10x40 w/TMR for it. If I do I'll be using a Seekins 20 MOA base and their low rings.
As soon as I get back in April I'll be shooting the piss out of it. I'll be picking up a Tacops stock pack and going to DuraCoat it. I'll be busy on my Terminal leave with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 762slinger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The SPS T is a good rifle, and a great starting point if you want to build something up. I bought mine pretty much like Eagle Driver did, as a project gun. I quickly replaced the bottome metal, threaded the muzzle for a can, replaced the factory trigger with an older standard 700 trigger, and added a Badger knob. I tried to remove enough material from the barrel channel to let the barrel actually float when shooting from a rest or on a pod. That didn't work, so now I am waiting for an H-S LTR stock that should be here by Monday.
The CDI bottom metal is great, and Jeff's service is excellent as well.
Here's where mine started:

And here's where it currenlty is, minus the H-S stock.

100_1704.jpg
</div></div>what mag kit is that? is it with the houge stock?
I ordered a wyatt mag system and was going order a B&C latter. I wonder if it will fit with a oem stock

Reaper I am surprised you are running out of mils. I am running the same exact rings, scope and even the base. I have 11mil left over after a hundred yard zero. I even shimmed my for an extra 2 mil so I can get to 1150 yard. What ammo are you using? Factory or handloads?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TimResin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reaper I am surprised you are running out of mils. I am running the same exact rings, scope and even the base. I have 11mil left over after a hundred yard zero. I even shimmed my for an extra 2 mil so I can get to 1150 yard. What ammo are you using? Factory or handloads? </div></div>
I'm kinda surprised myself. You're running a Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50, correct? Maybe I'm just being a pussy, but I dial it and when I hit 11 mils, it gets REALLY stiffer to move the dial. So I'm hesitant to twist harder and break something.

I need to dial it all the way down and then all the way up to see how many total mils I have available. Also going to do the windage and see if maybe I'm hard over to one side and maybe it's limiting my total up by having the windage zero'd far to one side.

Anyone know what the spec is for the FM 5.5-25 total mil adjustment?

I don't have any good pics of mine but I also started with a SPS-T almost a year ago. In fact, before I was even a member here I found it in the classifieds doing a google search, called the vendor, and ordered it up.

I've been more than happy. As it was to be my first precision rifle it way outshot my abilities. Using some old old surplus ammo durring break in I was still achieving MOA groups and better. I have since swapped out the stock for the B&C Medalist, just recently glass bedded it, AZ Precision bolt knob, Badger M-5 detach mag setup, EGW 20moa base, Seekins 34mm rings, and PH 3-15 to top it off. I developed a load using 175 smk's and varget that has proven capable as it is a consistant shooter out to 1200 yards so far. Bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another SPS-T as a base again.

I bought a SPS-V and did not fire it until I had replaced the stock with a B&C Medalist and had the rest of the firearm Cryogenic-treated. I did a trigger job and the rifle can put up .5" groups at 100 yards, shooting FGMM. I picked up the rifle for a little under $500 from Dicks and stock was $225, I did purchase Badger Rings and bases so that was $300 and got a SS Side Focus kit for $520.I did have a Badger Bolt installed for $65. Cheap no not for me, but on average I hope so.
=$1685

Got mine together the other day and zero'd it yesterday...finally. After all was said and done, I could cover a 5 shot group with a quarter @ 100yds. It's also a .308, box stock. It consists of a TPS steel base, SWFA Tac. rings and a Vortex Crossfire scope in 6-24x50. Total "investment" $802.00...oh ammo. I forgot the important part. It was 150gr. lead tip Federal ammo I picked up at Wal-Mart for 13 bucks a box. Yeah...thats right.

ReaperDriver,

There are a few differences between your SPS and mine.

First, you indicated load testing. My comparisons are with the same ammo. Dime size groups with the 5R (5 shot), quarter with the SPS. Also you've changed the stock now. So it's not a stock SPS. So that SPS didn't cost $500. It cost $500 plus a 5R take off.

Agreed - not trying to start a pissing contest. I like both my guns. They shoot very differently, and I see a different use for each. That being said, in a pinch, my SPS will do fine as a tactical rifle, my 5R will be a fine hunting rifle (albeit heavy).

I also agree with other comments above that the 5R is just smoother. It feels better made. Hard to describe.

Again, the SPS is a wonder for its price. But if you're looking to come to 1/4-1/3 MOA or better rifle without breaking the bank, I don't think a 5R (out of the box) can be beat.

R

this thread is great and what I needed to help me decide if the sps tactical .308 was going to be a good starting precision/hunting rifle for me.

Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: psdavidson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what mag kit is that? is it with the houge stock?
I ordered a wyatt mag system and was going order a B&C latter. I wonder if it will fit with a oem stock
</div></div>
It is a CDI DBM kit from CDI Precision. Jeff is a member here. The kit runs $209, and the mags are $80-90 IIRC. If you want Jeff to inlett the stock it is another $60.
The stock is a Hogue Overmold. I've got an HS LTR stock at CDI being inletted now.

Just got back from the range with my SPS. After I shot and zero'd it last weekend out on the land I hunt, we went for a ride looking for firewood. To say the least, it was a rough ride. I managed to get my crew cab 2500HD air born. With that being said, my rifle took a ride to the floor board and got beat to shit. The scope is dinged and scratched up etc. I shot it today, still held zero just fine. I did rotate my scope a bit as I had it cocked just enough to bother me while on higher power.

With that being said, I re-zero'd for 100yds. (which was less than 6 clicks to the left). I let the rifle cool off..shot some more. I then put out a fresh target, came back to the rest and squeezed off my final 3 rounds of 150Gr. Federal soft points I bought at Wal-Mart for 13.97 a box. The end result (if I had a camera I could show you) was 3 shots through the same hole. I asked my buddy that was spotting me if I was off the paper or what. I wasn't. I walked down range to find a hole and 2 more slight smears of lead deposit from my two follow up shots.

All this from a STOCK SPS Tac. in .308 with not so good ammo. I did shoot off a nice tripod rest in the front and a sand bag in the rear..the one and only time I strayed away from my trusty field jacket wrapped over my ammo can laying on it's side "rest". So 48 rounds down the tube and I finally get impressed by it...I always wanted it shoot as good or better than my damn A-bolt hunting rig, and it does. Good rifle indeed.