• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700--SPS vs. VTR Varmint

Re: Remington 700--SPS vs. VTR Varmint

Been extremely pleased with the performance of my SPS (.223) thus far.

I owned a VTR in .223, and for the money it costs, its a complete waste. I sold it got and later got a SPS Tactical. Shoots better IMHO, and was a heck of a lot cheaper. More money for ammo/glass. That triangle barrel is a complete gimmick.

Heck, if you read that review you posted from Sniper Central, he says "...I would not take it over any of the other Remington tactical type options out there".

I really like my SPS Tactical, and I am happy I bought it ..... but you will find that the stock is absolutely worthless. So, you need to figure in the price of a replacement stock right off the bat.

When I first took my SPS Tactical to the range, I found that it shoots very very accruately. But, the stock flexes so much that it's absolutely unacceptable. You can't use any kind of harris bipod what so ever. The stock will not support it.

my vtr 308 shoots 1/2 moa when I do my part. Different stock and trigger but the action and barrel are all factory (for now)

I do think the vtr barrel is a gimick but I got the stock rifle for $200. At that point I couldnt go wrong.

I have heard some are ammo picky?? But my sps 308 I sold was picky too. I shoot FGMM 168's out of the VTR.

here is a range report and my vtr

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2994705&#Post2994705

I own a .308 vtr and it shoots pretty good for me when I work at it. I picked mine up a couple of years ago, and it has killed a few animals. I have shot it at steal targets from 100 yrds to 1000 yrds. Yes I have hit at 1k with a complete factory setup. However, I will admit we were using kentucky windage and correcting off of splashes at 1k...IT WASNT PRECISION. I got caught up in the tacticool look when I purchased it. If I could do it over I would get the sps and save some money to put back into the rifle. What can I say, I'm a newb here.

I've never fired the VTR, but I doubt it shoots better than any SPS TAC, and personally I think it looks like shit.

I am both a fan of Remington and 308’s but... I can’t get past the looks of the “triangular barrel contour”, even if it "is a product of years of rigorous research and development focused on reducing weight, enhancing rigidity and promoting rapid heat dissipation..." per Remington even though "it is a revolutionary system optimized for extended-range precision and mobility." Nor do I like the "integral muzzle brake that’s machined-in during production," or any brake that is one sided and lacking an expansion chamber. But this is all just my personal opinion, not that it may or may not shoot well. I do like the barrel length and wish that a standard varmint barreled model existed in the Remington line at 22” as I have always felt the 26" varmint was 3 or 4 inches to long.

I will add that both the sps tactical and older (pre sps) varmint that I own are shooters. But the tactical gets more use as it is just more pleasant to carry, transport and much better balanced than its 26” brother that only offers, almost exactly, 100fps more velocity in 155 and 175 grain bullets when the same load is fired in each rifle.

Looking back, if I had it to do over I would just get a mil-spec 5r 308 and call it good.

I have been looking at the SPS in .223 and I have seen what they can do. My best friend has one and it is just amazing what it can do. I can't wait to get one so me and my wife can shoot it because she wants to start shooting. I think it will be good for her first rifle.

Well, it looks like I made the right call then. I went ahead and had the gun shop order the 700 SPS Varmint

Thanks so much for all of the help folks.

That’s the one I went with. On Wednesday I'm dropping the barreled action into an AI AX.

I think you'll be pleased. I have an SPS-V in .308, shoots MOA with most any match ammo, .5 with handloads. Stock sucks, figure on upgrading, I went with a B&C Light Tac, the trigger on mine also needed attention, though I understand some are good out of the box, I got a Timney for it, with those two changes it got allot more consistent for me.

Spleify,

The best I can tell is they are both 1:12 remington 6 groove barrels. It also seems the VTR goes for more $$. It seems you could save some money and go SPS varmint. I don't see any reason to spend the money on the unique cosmetics on the VTR. Both are going to require a stock change. The money saved could go to stock, ammo, optics upgrades, or better trigger. You did not mention your budget, but the SPS Varmint seems to be a good starting point on a budget.

And since I now noticed you bought one...good choice and good luck with the build.

Blessings!!

My personal choice would be the 700 SPS Varmint, I only wish Remington would offer this rifle in 7mm-08 (my personal favorite), and .260 Rem. just to diversify the offerings to the public. I think that the triangular barrel and muzzle break on the 700 VTR are sales gimmicks along with the fluted barrels that they offer on so many models. Also the cheap plastic stocks offered on so many models is a real shame. I shouldn't have to replace the stock on a new rifle right away because the one that comes on it is crap. Remington I hope your listening.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbateman™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SPS it is a good start to build a rifle on . </div></div>+1

Here's mine in stainless form.
IMG_0025-1.jpg

I went with Sps myself and so did 80% of the other rem buyers. Sub moa is sought after apparently :p You can decide off that.

I voted sps and do really enjoy mine but I have never fired a vtr. I do not like the looks for the vtr but that's not the most important thing on a rifle. My 20" sps shot one group of 5 today at .612" at 100 today but I also shot other groups worse but we arn't going to talk about that.

I have a vtr that shoots moa with factory ammo i use it for varmint hunting, if i hadnt got it for a steal i would buy the spsv. Ive also heard that some vtr comes with 5r barrels dont know this for a fact though.

Thanks so much for all the help folks. I am still waiting for the gun shop to call me and tell me its in.

I am looking forward to this

I have the VTR in a 223, and has been a project gun of mine. I do like the way it looks and feels. As far as accuracy goes, depending on the day and the shooter and ammo you run, it has been an accurate gun so far. I was able to hit a penny nail at 100 yrds. But I've never shot an SPS before either so I have no idea what would be a better choice for you.

Find a Remington AAC-SD barreled action and drop it into a KRG Bravo stock.