• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 sps wont feed ammo

CleanMoostang

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2010
Eastern KY
I've tried this on Federal Ammunition from walmart to winchester shell reloads with Hornady AMAX and my Remington just will not feed from internal magazine.

I have the 700 SPS Tactical in .308, and it loads fine if I lay a round on the rails and load in to chamber, but the bolt will not pick one up from the follower.

Not sure if I am pushing the shells too far to the rear or if the follower isn't aligned.

Anyone have an input on my problem, what I can try, etc.?

Re: Remington 700 sps wont feed ammo

When you go to chamber a round is the bottom of the bolt touching the back of the casing where it is suppose to?

Any way we can get some pictures of the rifle with a round in the magazine and the bolt all the way to the rear?

Is your follower up the whole way? I had a problem with a 700 and the follower was jammed and not high enough to catch the next round about to be chambered.

I will provide pics upon going to the house this afternoon, currently at work. But the bolt doesnt touch the shell, slimply slides across the top enough to left a scratch.

Once I take some pics I will also work on the follower to make sure its not getting hung on something, which is a possibility.

I've never had much luck with fixed magazines in bolt action rifles - Savage 10FP or Rem 700. Sometimes it seems BDM is the only way to go, albeit an expensive route. Heck, my Mosin Nagant M44 feeds way better than my Remmy or Savage.

Sorry I'm not any help, but I just wanted an excuse to say that I love your sig line.
wink.gif

if the magazine box isn't seated properly in the action against the feed rails, it can have the same problem. I would take the stock off, seat the box firmly in the action, then holding the barreled action upside down, put the stock back onto it and tighten it down.

i have kind of the same issue. it seems with some of the rounds it will and some it won't. mostly the last round of every set is when it happens. i just push it down a couple times and then it will feed.

this is covered in other threads, fix was bending the follower spring

+1. Bend follower spring to put more pressure on rear of case. Try a little at a time. Doesn't take much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've never had much luck with fixed magazines in bolt action rifles - Savage 10FP or Rem 700. Sometimes it seems BDM is the only way to go, albeit an expensive route. Heck, my Mosin Nagant M44 feeds way better than my Remmy or Savage.

Sorry I'm not any help, but I just wanted an excuse to say that I love your sig line.
wink.gif
</div></div>

big +1 on this. stock feeding from 700s (in my experience anyway) has almost always been crap. doesnt feed rounds at all, scratches the living hell out of cases, etc etc. they just never seem to work right.

and my 50+ year old mausers, enfields, nagants, feed without a flaw. oh well.

I had the same problem with my 700 SPS varmint. The first time I took it apart. I put the box in backwards. Then I didn't get the feed spring strait. Then I wasn't pulling the bolt back enough. It would eject the shell but wasn't back for enough for the next cartridge to feed up to the chamber.

I was up half the night working on it and worrying about it.

my 50+ year old mausers, enfields, nagants, feed without a flaw. oh well. [/quote]

I agree, my mausers load much easier. The SPS-v is especially a pain in the butt to load the mag.

guess it heard a rumor I was talking bad about it. Got home last night and it fed without a hickup over 30 rounds.

anyone have a pic of where to and how to bend the spring? It would help me a lot

I've had this problem and tweaking the follower spring little by little did the trick. Mine only needed a little bit of help. Also, make sure that your follower is not hitting anything. I noticed that mine was kind of crooked...
Let us know how you make out...