• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 sps

homedefender83

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2010
Hello everyone. I am as new as they come to the community and art to long range shooting. I am currently swimming in the f.a.q's threads and loving it. A quick question though. I just purchased a Remingto 700 sps to get my feet wet. It is chambered in 308 with a 24inch barrel. My question is, what should I do for practical upgrades to this gun. I would like a nice shooting gun, and was thinking probably a different barrel, and a different stock. Would these two things greatly improve the accuracy of my rifle? Also, what should I expect for out of the box performance of this rifle? I sure appreciate your help and accept my apology if this has been asked before. I am really excited to get started in all this and to get to know all of you. Thankyou - HD83

Re: Remington 700 sps

Hey,

If you wish to upgrade the 700 SPS you might want to look into getting a new stock (AICS, McMillan, H-S P, just to name a few), you can also change your trigger (jewel, ect), get a rail and rings (Badger Ordinace to name one). It all depends on what you want really. You might want to look around and test some other rifles/set-ups before you decide on what you'll like todo with your 700. There is plenty of info in here so if you have a question chances are that someone has an answer for you.

I hope this helps.

- Tom

Have the freebore measured, most of those have 200 thousandths of freebore and bullets can\should be seated waaay out. Or you could have it rechambered and crowned, action trued, lugs lapped, bedded in a new stock for the full treatment. It will shoot, you'll just have to tweak on it some to get it there. Good luck and welcome.

Thanks guys. I am hoping that out of the box for now will get my feet wet and I can enjoy the basics at the local firing range. The range only goes up to 300 meters so I do not think things will get too crazy. I am surprised nobody has advised me to install a different barrel. Is the basic sps barrel a good barrel for long range shooting? I am surely going to change the stock first thing just because I am not a big fan of the one that this gun comes with. I really like the hs precision stock a whole lot.

Installing a different barrel will cost you $600 due to the new barrel, truing the action, and work done by a smith. Since you're getting your feet wet. The best way to get them wet is shoot. Upgrade as you go. Once you shoot that barrel out you will know what you will want from it.

That is great advice, and I will surely do abide by this advice. I will just shoot shoot shoot, and try to wear this barrel out. May I ask why it is 600 for the barrel? From what I understand I can get a nice barrel from mike rock for around 300 I think. Are you including the gun smith fees? And if so, does it really cost around 300 bucks for a gun smith to do all the work?

^ what pink said, however get a match grade trigger and new stock as your next investments after quality optics.

optics wise there are many good budget scopes:
falcon menace, super sniper, Bushnell 3200, etc.

My first purchase is replacing the cabelas scope that came with this gun. I think I will save it for my 10/22 or maybe see if .223 likes it. May I ask, what kind of performance is normal from these sps's out of the box?

If you shoot handloaded match grade precision ammo and have quality optics you should be able to shoot atleast 1" groups at 100 yards, some rifles may shoot smaller groups but expect 1" groups with match grade ammo

That does not sound bad from a starting point. May I ask, what kind of difference in the guns performance will a good stock make? For example a good hs precision stock.

i have shot damn near 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100yds with my bone stock 20" sps tactical and factory match ammo. I would start by upgrading your stock and put a decent optic on it. Then later on down the line when you have lots of rounds down the barrel, then consider rebarreling it and having the action trued.

I have a smith thats gonna tune the factory barrel up, blueprint etc. Its gonna go in a JAE stock. Hopefully that will be a decent rig.

As the guys have said already, get a good scope. From there you can look at getting a new stock (yes they do improve the accuracy of the WPN). The trigger is up to you (in saying that many people prefer to get an after-market one, but that is up to you and how you feel with your current one). Re-barrelling your WPN is an option but as (pink)MiST said, shoot your current one off first. The more you shoot the better you'll get at it.

What do gun smiths charge to install a new barrel and get everything setup right?

You don't say if you have an SPS varmint model or a standard hunting/sporter barrel.
The varmint weight barrels are pretty good tubes for factory barrels.

Typically with any of the sps line, the stock really does need to be replaced.

As already said, start with the best glass you can afford and a good mounting system for the glass.
Then consider a new stock.
Learn to adjust the trigger and invest in a 25 dollar trigger scale. Adjust the trigger to about 3.5 lbs, if not already there.

AS I said, it is a Remington 700 sps chambered in 308. I already purchased a gauge for measuring trigger pull when I built my ar/15. My gun has the standard plain jane barrel on it. Will a stock upgrade actually help the guns accuracy? If so, how much?

i am not trying to sidetrack you. but, do all 700's have the same action? or what is the difference in the actions. i was think same action different barrel and stock combos.

no, we know you have an remmy 700 SPS, we want to know what model sps. Does it have a tapered sporter barrel, or is it a varmint or tactical model that has a heavy target bull barrel?

It all depends on the stock question. Improve accuracy... we can't guarantee it. Repeatability and durability we can. Accuracy mostly has to do with the shooter unless the stock is flimsy and messes with the vibrations of the barrel.

When I was talking about changing a barrel you are correct $300 will buy you a good barrel. Now you have to get the old one off and re-chamber the barrel. I've asked smiths if they can change a barrel from a stock one to a match grade barrel without truing it... they say it's pointless to spend the money on a new barrel while not truing the action. This is where you will get the total of $600 into the barrel.

Search for a good deal on stocks on this website. A couple weeks ago I bought an Mcmillan A4 for $350 and a Rad Tac for $250 which came out to be $600. Find deals before you just jump on something. I thought this would be a fake, but was the real deal. Good luck with your new rifle.

Adjusting the trigger is a no no in my mind. After hearing horror stories about rifles going off due to monkeys messing with triggers keeps me from messing with mine. And yes I called myself a monkey because I have no clue how to adjust them. I bought a Jewell trigger so I can change it to what I want and know that she won't go off. Just a little FYI. (have a competent smith adjust it for you for $50 if need be)

I gotcha, it is the sporter tapered barrel. The actual model number is 27359 on rem's website. Does this answer your question?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: (pink)MiST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It all depends on the stock question. Improve accuracy... we can't guarantee it. Repeatability and durability we can. Accuracy mostly has to do with the shooter unless the stock is flimsy and messes with the vibrations of the barrel.

When I was talking about changing a barrel you are correct $300 will buy you a good barrel. Now you have to get the old one off and re-chamber the barrel. I've asked smiths if they can change a barrel from a stock one to a match grade barrel without truing it... they say it's pointless to spend the money on a new barrel while not truing the action. This is where you will get the total of $600 into the barrel.

Search for a good deal on stocks on this website. A couple weeks ago I bought an Mcmillan A4 for $350 and a Rad Tac for $250 which came out to be $600. Find deals before you just jump on something. I thought this would be a fake, but was the real deal. Good luck with your new rifle.

Adjusting the trigger is a no no in my mind. After hearing horror stories about rifles going off due to monkeys messing with triggers keeps me from messing with mine. And yes I called myself a monkey because I have no clue how to adjust them. I bought a Jewell trigger so I can change it to what I want and know that she won't go off. Just a little FYI. (have a competent smith adjust it for you for $50 if need be) </div></div>

I understand now. I need to go find some resources of what it means by "trueing" the action. So to make sure I understand completely, I need to buy a good barrel for around 300 and then pay a gun smith another 300 to install the barrel and true the action? So a better barrel, and a good stock will make this remington a different animal?

Different animal? Can't tell you unless you shoot it right now. I had a stock Rem 700P and it shot .5 MOA with some of my loads and as small as .1 MOA. If you have cash to burn then spend it on good optics and a stock. If you have even more money. Go for the whole shabang and trick it out with a new trigger, stock, optics, rings, rail, and barrel if you want.

Your not to expect super accuracy with your sporter Bbl. Consider getting a varmint takeoff or upgrade to a custom stainless bbl. besides the aforementioned chassis, you won't be able to hit much at great distance without good glass and enough adjustment to get you there. A 20 MOA base will be a must as well. I'd sell it and just get a sps-v or tactical and start there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your not to expect super accuracy with your sporter Bbl. Consider getting a varmint takeoff or upgrade to a custom stainless bbl. besides the aforementioned chassis, you won't be able to hit much at great distance without good glass and enough adjustment to get you there. A 20 MOA base will be a must as well. I'd sell it and just get a sps-v or tactical and start there. </div></div>

Well, selling it would be an option, but I do not think it is necessary. I am going to learn great things from this platform alone, and I really look forward to working with this specific gun. I can definately see understand your philosophy as the vmt and the tactical both have the heavy barrels already on them. Honestly the way I look at it, I am going to have to re-barrel this gun eventually anyway, so I may as well burn through this barrel instead of a more expensive one. I had alot of tough decisions to make as far as which model to buy. I was so confused that I ended up saying screw it, just buy a model 700, start shooting, and go from there. I am planning on buying a 5r barrel from mike rock regardless in the future but a stock and optics will come first. Thanks for the advice.

I think that handloading will by far get you better accuracy than anything else.If it were me I would get a good scope, rings and rail to mount it and spend your money on reloading gear and just read read and read about it. then shoot as much as possible with what you have. Then I would worry about the stock and everything else. That is pretty much the way I started and it worked great.

HD83 - welcome to the Hide, it's always fun to think of what we might do to our rifles to make them all go into one hole and it is true that custom usually shoot better than off the shelf but the shooter is usually where the great opportunity lies.

From my experience, there will be plenty of time for upgrading at some point in time. For now, you might one to consider good instruction and practice. It will expose you to information that will make it easier to make some of the decisions you are asking about regarding equipment.

Don't know your experience level but you might want to join the online training program here on the hide. It's not the same as personal instruction but it touches some basic fundamentals of good shooting.

Yes, I would buy a good scope up front as it can be transferred to whatever you decide to upgrade later. Bad optics can be frustration and hide progress as a shooter improves.

The best place to start is by shooting what you have and learning. There is not real substitute for experience and I have seen a ton of guys shoot poorly with expensive equipment because the tried to buy their way to the front of the line.

Okay so the current setup is the gun and cabelas optic on top of it. I do not know what kind of rings are on it but I know that it is a two piece mount system. Are you guys saying that I should replace the two piece mounting system with a one piece rail and buy the rings accordingly? Why does this make such a difference? The gun was a gun and scope combo for 499 plus a hardshell case. I figured this scope that is on here I would just put on my a/r or put on something else. Or Ill just give it to someone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your not to expect super accuracy with your sporter Bbl. Consider getting a varmint takeoff or upgrade to a custom stainless bbl. besides the aforementioned chassis, you won't be able to hit much at great distance without good glass and enough adjustment to get you there. A 20 MOA base will be a must as well. I'd sell it and just get a sps-v or tactical and start there. </div></div>

I pretty much concur with this, though I personally don't believe a 20MOA rail is a "must", it depends on the scope you end up with.
If the rifle is unfired, and you don't have nay personal attachemnt to it, see if you can return it for full credit and apply that to the price for a more suitable rifle.

This would be a SPS varmint, SPS tactical (either one) or 700P.
There are others, but they would quickly rise above what I percieve as your budget.
An SPS varmint can be had for about 530 dollars from the proper sources, the 1-12 SPS tactical about 550, the AAC-SD model about 600 and the 700P about 800.
Why did I include the 700P when it is clearly more expensive?
It comes in a very good, proven stock that does not need to be replaced.
The SPS varmint stock MUST be replaced, the SPS Tactical stocks can be used as is until you decide what to replace it with (and you will).
By getting the 700P, you remove that part of the equation.

Now, if you want a HIGHLY accurate, semi custom rifle, KEEP the rifle you have now.

Put the best glass you can afford on it.
Shoot the damn thing, but don't expect precision rifle accuracy. Expect good, hunting rifle accuracy and be happy with that.
Do research, decide what stock you will eventually want and save your pennies.
Buy the stock you want.
Save your pennies again.
Send that barreled action to one of the fine hiders here like Roscoe or Mark and have them true the action, install a barrel of your choice and a new Timney 512 trigger.
Install that in your stock you bought and be VERY happy.

Let me warn you now, even if you get the 700P, or the 5R, you will EVENTUALLY send it to a smith to have it trued and rebarreled. It is a sickness and there is no cure.
You will also end up with 2000 dollars worth of glass (or more) on the damn thing.
Then you will want a TRG or AW.
Then you'll want an S&B or Hensoldt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your not to expect super accuracy with your sporter Bbl. Consider getting a varmint takeoff or upgrade to a custom stainless bbl. besides the aforementioned chassis, you won't be able to hit much at great distance without good glass and enough adjustment to get you there. A 20 MOA base will be a must as well. I'd sell it and just get a sps-v or tactical and start there. </div></div>

I pretty much concur with this, though I personally don't believe a 20MOA rail is a "must", it depends on the scope you end up with.
If the rifle is unfired, and you don't have nay personal attachemnt to it, see if you can return it for full credit and apply that to the price for a more suitable rifle.

This would be a SPS varmint, SPS tactical (either one) or 700P.
There are others, but they would quickly rise above what I percieve as your budget.
An SPS varmint can be had for about 530 dollars from the proper sources, the 1-12 SPS tactical about 550, the AAC-SD model about 600 and the 700P about 800.
Why did I include the 700P when it is clearly more expensive?
It comes in a very good, proven stock that does not need to be replaced.
The SPS varmint stock MUST be replaced, the SPS Tactical stocks can be used as is until you decide what to replace it with (and you will).
By getting the 700P, you remove that part of the equation.

Now, if you want a HIGHLY accurate, semi custom rifle, KEEP the rifle you have now.

Put the best glass you can afford on it.
Shoot the damn thing, but don't expect precision rifle accuracy. Expect good, hunting rifle accuracy and be happy with that.
Do research, decide what stock you will eventually want and save your pennies.
Buy the stock you want.
Save your pennies again.
Send that barreled action to one of the fine hiders here like Roscoe or Mark and have them true the action, install a barrel of your choice and a new Timney 512 trigger.
Install that in your stock you bought and be VERY happy.

Let me warn you now, even if you get the 700P, or the 5R, you will EVENTUALLY send it to a smith to have it trued and rebarreled. It is a sickness and there is no cure.
You will also end up with 2000 dollars worth of glass (or more) on the damn thing.
Then you will want a TRG or AW.
Then you'll want an S&B or Hensoldt. </div></div>

Warning me about how much of addiction this is has made me grin. Your second choices for keeping this rifle was basically the game plan from the beginning. I do not have the most money in the world and wanted to get something to get my feet wet and this gun fits that purpose perfectly. Everything that you are advising me I will surely do I am sure. The glass, stock, and barrel are what I am researching right now. I am pretty sure that I want the mike rock barrel as I know that he was the one that supplied the barrels for the m24 if I am correct. The stock I was so surprised how stupid easy it is to take off so installing that will not be a problem. Guess I need to call Mike Rock cause his m24 barrels are 26" barrels it seems and I wonder if he can make me a 24 inch barrel. Damn this stuff really is addicting. I thought I was addicted when I built my a/r.

I'm in the same boat as you with my Remmy 700 (except mine is a .243)
I plan on shooting the piss out of it and slowly upgrading until I need to have a rebarrel and will then rechamber it in 260 rem. and start over.....then rinse and repeat!
laugh.gif

I wonder if I can call mike rock and ask if he can make me an m24 contour barrel that is 24 inches vs 26.

Sometimes a Rifles only as good as its owner..use what you got learn the basics and advance your rifle as you advance your skill

just my 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrell pugin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes a Rifles only as good as its owner..use what you got learn the basics and advance your rifle as you advance your skill

just my 2 cents </div></div>

I concur. At the very least, I would upgrade the glass and then the stock and then wear the current barrel out as you develop your skill set. Then call Mike Rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamafan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrell pugin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes a Rifles only as good as its owner..use what you got learn the basics and advance your rifle as you advance your skill

I concur. At the very least, I would upgrade the glass and then the stock and then wear the current barrel out as you develop your skill set. Then call Mike Rock. </div></div>

Then that will be the game plan. Now, how many rounds do I fire through this barrel before it is worn out?

Lots say about 4k for match accuracy, but since you (and I) are new to shooting we won't notice this as much as others will. Once the barrel is burned out or you've put 6k rounds through it you will be ready to change barrels probably.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: (pink)MiST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lots say about 4k for match accuracy, but since you (and I) are new to shooting we won't notice this as much as others will. Once the barrel is burned out or you've put 6k rounds through it you will be ready to change barrels probably. </div></div>

Cool man thanks a whole lot. I just shot hs precision an email asking them what tactical stock will drop right into my sps. I hope that I hear back from them this week as I would like to order one this week. The olive color stocks they have give me a hard on.

Okay so I am thinking about ordering a bushnell 3200 tactical rifle scope 10x with mil dot reticle. Do you guys think this will be alot better than the cabelas scope I have on there right now?

What is your price range that you're looking at optics that will help us out more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: (pink)MiST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is your price range that you're looking at optics that will help us out more. </div></div>

Oh well gosh, Perhaps about 300?

Hopefully someone can chime in. I don't know a lot of stuff about optics in that price range.

Well what is the minimum you would suggest. I am researching here so the more I know the better.

For 300. I would recommend the Weaver grand slam tactical from Midwayusa (exclusive to midway).

The Bushnell is a VERY good little scope, especially for the $$$

the nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 in mildot is in that price ranch and would be a good starter scope for learning mildots, it is second focal plane though so math with be required for ranging targets at anything but 14X

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: homedefender83</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamafan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrell pugin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes a Rifles only as good as its owner..use what you got learn the basics and advance your rifle as you advance your skill

I concur. At the very least, I would upgrade the glass and then the stock and then wear the current barrel out as you develop your skill set. Then call Mike Rock. </div></div>

Then that will be the game plan. Now, how many rounds do I fire through this barrel before it is worn out? </div></div>

Why dont you make EVERY shot count and learn from your trial/erros and when the time comes swap barrels...dont just buy 6,000 rounds and burn them threw the gun as fast as you can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrell pugin</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: homedefender83</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bamafan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: darrell pugin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sometimes a Rifles only as good as its owner..use what you got learn the basics and advance your rifle as you advance your skill

Then that will be the game plan. Now, how many rounds do I fire through this barrel before it is worn out? </div></div>

Why dont you make EVERY shot count and learn from your trial/erros and when the time comes swap barrels...dont just buy 6,000 rounds and burn them threw the gun as fast as you can. </div></div>

I agree, if someone did that they may as well throw the barrel int he trash as well as a wad of cash.