• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Remington 700 Stock Question

roachm

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2014
Blaine, TN
Not sure the best place to post this question, but I figured you guys would know the answer.
I think I am on the right track, but want to make sure.

I am collecting parts for a budget/beater varmint rifle build in 22-250.
I just got the 24'' varmint profile 22-250 barrel today.
I have a 700 LA (currently a .270) to use for the donor action.

Ive been looking at take off wood 700 stocks to use for the build. The 270 has the cheapo remmy synthetic stock.
My question is some stocks are labeled LA and some are LA Magnum. Will the LA Magnum stock work for this 270 action?
I haven't been able to get a clear answer from my searches so far.

Thanks in advance.

I've never seen that difference on any advertisements. As long as it's long action you are good.. really the only other things to look out for are barrel contour and ADL vs BDL. Budget minded.. Boyd's is tough to beat just make sure its sealed up and you are good to go.

Yes the Magnum stock will work for the LA action, but the barrel channel is a magnum contour. You will have to inlet it for the varmint barrel. If you are looking for a complete package, it would be the Remington Sendero LA wood stock.

Here is an image I pulled from the net

wm_3426521.jpg

I do have to agree with the above, a Boyds laminate is darn nice. I like the pepper laminate myself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the the info. That's exactly what I thought. I'll check out the Boyds stocks for sure.