• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 Tac or Varmint

topgun25

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2011
Canada
Hey guys,

First post here. I've been doing a lot of reading throughout the forums the past couple weeks and just decided to register myself to ask some questions directly.

I'm trying to decide between getting an SPS Tac in .223 or an SPS Varmint in .22-250. It will be mostly for hunting yotes here in Nova Scotia, but I'm also very interested in starting my first build to throw some led long distance. I've heard countless good things about the .22-250, in terms of how much punch it packs at the longer distances compared to the .223, but I can't make my mind up. What would you guys choose, both in terms of calibre and the quality of the different rifles (completely stock). Should I start a build with a 20" barrel, 1:9", .223, or a 26" barrel (I believe...), 1:14", .22-250?

Sorry if this is a repost, as I'm sure this exact thread has been created in the past and I may have missed it while I was reading through the forums.

EDIT: For the record, by long distance I mean somewhere around 500-600 yards. What do you guys think is realistic for a .22 bullet to be capable of?

Re: Remington 700 Tac or Varmint

Neither one is a good choice for long range precision.

The .223 Tactical doesn't have a good barrel twist for the heavy bullets. The .22-250 is also setup for light bullets at hyper velocities. The barrel on the .22-250 has a limited life span.

If you want to shoot long range and you are looking at those two rifles I suggest you consider the Tactical or SPS-V in .308. Both are capable out to 1000 yards. My main 700 is a modified SPS-V in .308.

Hey LoneWolf,

I just added a point to my original post while you were responding I guess. Thanks for the tips.

The areas I have to shoot around here are typically limited to approximately 500 yards or so, except for a few power line cuttings, so that's about the longest I'll be shooting unfortunately.

I'm also thinking that since I want to focus on coyotes (at max distances of 200-300 yards) with the rifle, I want to keep the bullet size down to minimize damage. I've used a .308 on them in the past and it wasn't the cleanest sight
grin.gif

I bought a Stevens 200 in .243 last year for the same sort of idea, but I am finding myself wanting the 700 action to start a build.

I guess you have to look at what you want, light bullets or heavy. Fast and no wind bucking and minimal damage so a 50 grain and a 1-12 or 14 twist, or heavy and better wind buck and a fast twist, 1-8 with a 69 or 75. Personally I would look at a 243 custom build on your 700 action. Get a twist that will stabilize a 107 grain or down to a 85 grain, change the bullet from a varmint tip to a full metal jacket if you want minimal blow up, and if you decide to do a longer range gun out to a grand you can always rebarrel to a 6.5 or bigger, same action and bolt face.

I would go with the SPS tactical in 223. While the 1 in 9 twist isn't perfect, it is much better than a 1 in 12 or 1 in 14 with a 22-250. I know I can shoot the 77 smk in my tac which can get out there a good ways.

You can't ignore how cheap 223 is to shoot and reload either. While this may not be a big consideration for hunting yotes, but it is helpful for building a solid foundation in long range shooting. Trigger time has improved my ability much more than a faster, flatter cartridge.

Thanks for the information, guys.

I'm beginning to lean in favour of the .223 Tac. Having not held either of them in person, I'm assuming it's safe to say the Hogue overmolded stock that comes from the factory on the Tacticals is quite a bit better than the injection molded stock on the Varmints? Do you think it would be Ok for a while or would I want to upgrade the Hogue just as quickly as the varmint stock?

Do you think I'd end up with a more accurate rifle if I saved the money by purchasing the varmint, then put that saved money toward a new stock that is better than the Hogue?

Neither is a good stock, in my opinion. You'll want to change out either stock immediately to something with a stable bedding block to achieve maximum accuracy.

Check out Bell and Carlson's medalist stocks for $200-250, H-S Precision stocks for $250-$350 usually. These will provide an inherent accuracy improvement and create a better platform on which to build.

If shooting fairly high volume I'd go .223, cheaper and more readily availible factory ammo and reloading components, and longer barrel life.
If solely a long range varminting rig, I'd probably go .22-250.

I own both. I have a RR 556 with a 1 in 8 twist which I shoot 60 grain Nosler Ballistic with IMR 8208. The 22 250 is a Rem VTR/ 1 in 14 twist, which I load with a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic with 8208. I use the 22 250 if I;m out in the open and shots fire will be on the run or be further than 300 yards. 556 used for in the brush and quick follow up shots are expected. If I had to own only one gun it would be the 22 250.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: djkost</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I own both. I have a RR 556 with a 1 in 8 twist which I shoot 60 grain Nosler Ballistic with IMR 8208. The 22 250 is a Rem VTR/ 1 in 14 twist, which I load with a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic with 8208. I use the 22 250 if I;m out in the open and shots fire will be on the run or be further than 300 yards. 556 used for in the brush and quick follow up shots are expected. If I had to own only one gun it would be the 22 250. </div></div>

Both are Goat Phucks. The 556 has the RPM(8"),but is less the COAL latitude,the VTR has a 2.815" box,but is twisted 14".

Congratulations?