• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

remington 700 tactical 308 questions

losthelegend

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
South Western Wyoming
I found a remington sps 700 tactical 308 at the local gun store and am curious about a few things. Even though the weapon has a 20" barrel will it be accurate out to 800+ yards? I noticed that the stock is a little "soft" at the forend and touchs the barrel with ease, has anyone noticed any accuracy problems due to this? The dealer is asking $625, is that average or a pretty good deal. I am looking to shoot this weapon for fun but want to be able to reach out there and be accurate and hone my shooting skills. Is there another weapon that can work just as good for the same price range? I plan to customize the weapon in the future to meet my needs as soon as I know what they are going to be. I am going to build as I go instead of coming up with all the money in the beginning. I am fairly new to long range shooting so any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: remington 700 tactical 308 questions

well you have figured out the stock is junk......so, start adding up what it would take to make your "find" a real stick you could depend on........but i should caution that rifle stocks that float , are only good for tranquil canoe rides

Bud's gun shop has them for $587 (free shipping) so $625 is a little high, depends on what your local FFL would charge for a transfer.

I just got one today myself. The forend touching bothered me too, but I knew that was going to be an issue because of LoneWolfUSMC's writeup of the ACC SD (same stock). I shimmed the front pillar and now there's plenty of clearance, once I get to the range I'll see how it shoots.

Check out http://www.8541tactical.com/ for LoneWolfUSMC's stuff (and here on the hide).

I have had one for about three months. First thing I did was get rid of the Hogue and bought a 5r tkae off HSP for $200 deivered. Bought mine off Gunbroker for $549 + $25 shipping and $20 to my FFL so it was $595 OTD. I have only shot it at 250 yds but should be good for 600+. With the 20" you can carry it around and use it for hnting not just bench.

Great rifle...Piss poor stock. I have had mine for several years now and I love it. Despite the stock mine shot sub MOA before I bought a 5R take off stock. 625 does sound high as I remember paying 550 for mine. With the right scope, rings, base and ammo it will easily reach out and touch at 1000yds.

625 does sound high as I think I found mine for around 525. The first thing I did was trash the stock and threw on a B&C Medalist stock.

Try Red Hawk Rifles in Cedaredge, CO. I got mine there with a Bell & Carlson A3 Stock and Badger Ord. Knob installed for a little over $800 shipped. They will build it any way you want it and are really easy to work with. You can also find them on Gunbroker for $549 (buy now), a new stock will run between $200 and $400. A 20" inch barrel on a .308 is plenty to shoot out to 800m as long as you don't reload with slow burning powders. It really is a great rifle to start with.

I would say go ahead and get the Remington 700 SPS Tactical as your "base" rifle. The stock is total crap but you can sell it for $50-$60 to the dopes on Ebay eventually.

The beauty of the Remington 700 is that it is a rifle that can grow as you do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doc_taylor77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try Red Hawk Rifles in Cedaredge, CO. I got mine there with a Bell & Carlson A3 Stock and Badger Ord. Knob installed for a little over $800 shipped. They will build it any way you want it and are really easy to work with. You can also find them on Gunbroker for $549 (buy now), a new stock will run between $200 and $400. A 20" inch barrel on a .308 is plenty to shoot out to 800m as long as you don't reload with slow burning powders. It really is a great rifle to start with. </div></div>

I just talked to the guys at Red Hawk Rifles and have to say that I am very impressed. The gentleman I spoke to was very helpful and patient. I had a ton of questions and he answered them to my satisfaction. He is going to price out a model 700 sps tactical with a badger ordinance knob, B&C A2 stock, 20 MOA base and scope rings. Hopefully he will get back with me this afternoon or tomorrow! I am excited! Thanks for the advice and the contact information. I really appreciate all the replies. I will let you guys know what I find out!!! Thanks again!

I have an SPS 308 in an AICS with an S&B on top, and I just shot 1010 yds with it about two weeks ago. I was shooting an IPSC target and it atually got boring becuase I was hitting it every time. I dialed up 10.1 Mils for my 168g SMK's with 43.5gr of Varget and I was good to go. After about 20 rounds I just packed up because I was kinda bored. I would like to go back out and stretch it even farther, maybe 1200yds to see how she handles.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UncleBenji</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an SPS 308 in an AICS with an S&B on top, and I just shot 1010 yds with it about two weeks ago. I was shooting an IPSC target and it atually got boring becuase I was hitting it every time. I dialed up 10.1 Mils for my 168g SMK's with 43.5gr of Varget and I was good to go. After about 20 rounds I just packed up because I was kinda bored. I would like to go back out and stretch it even farther, maybe 1200yds to see how she handles.

Good luck. </div></div>

Wow...Thats good shooting with 168's...I might have to try that load. Didnt think 168's would be stable enough for 1000yds

I bought a Rem 700 VLS from a local smith for 601 delivered back in 2001.

E range serial #, 25,000 after the last USMC contract so I was happy about that.

Had a nice laminate, sold that and went wiht the HTG or M40A1 (IS there a diff?)

The SPS Tac can be a tac driver if dressed up nicely. I got mine to shoot groups down to .217.

I paid 525 the year they came out for the 223, the 308 I picked up last year for 475 used for one month. The previous owner bought it from the same dealer then traded it back for something else. It had maybe 40 rounds through it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wow...Thats good shooting with 168's...I might have to try that load. Didnt think 168's would be stable enough for 1000yds </div></div>

We don't shoot in a bubble. Environmental conditions will have a lot to do with how well a 168 SMK gets to 1000 yards.

Copying a load probably won't be your best bet. Do a work up and pick the fastest accurate node if you want to stretch the legs on the 168 Match King.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Wow...Thats good shooting with 168's...I might have to try that load. Didnt think 168's would be stable enough for 1000yds </div></div>

We don't shoot in a bubble. Environmental conditions will have a lot to do with how well a 168 SMK gets to 1000 yards.

Copying a load probably won't be your best bet. Do a work up and pick the fastest accurate node if you want to stretch the legs on the 168 Match King. </div></div>

Good point and also keep in mind the poster of that info is likely shooting at an altitude of 5000+ feet ASL

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ShadowStalker01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">625 does sound high as I think I found mine for around 525. The first thing I did was trash the stock and threw on a B&C Medalist stock. </div></div> Same thing I did to mine.

Check gunbroker to compare what others are going for. $625 does sound a little high but like someone mentioned it depends on the cost of shipping and transfer by the time you pick one up on line.

You could grab a Tikka T3 for the same price. It would likely shoot better out of the box.

I picked up an SPS varmint a few years back thinking that I would build on it, but gunsmiths are so expensive that I'll just end up buying a custom action for my next build...it's just a drop in the bucket, really.

I personally wish I had known about the Tikka back then. Remington's 700 has compressed the market prices for all other entry level rifles. Some other manufacturers will sell you a fully bedded rifle with higher tolerances, better stocks, etc. at the same price point, while Remington gets away with dropping an action in a Plain Jane plastic stock (my SPS Varmint didn't even have pillars).

Take a look:

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?varmint

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/80591-55.html

I to am new to it I was told a rem 700 was the way to go and build a little at a time I was also told to buy what everything then have it put together all at once this way I can still use the gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308Shooter1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Copying a load probably won't be your best bet. Do a work up and pick the fastest accurate node if you want to stretch the legs on the 168 Match King. </div></div>

+1 Mine shoots the 168's very well too and elevation is never an issue but when the wind gets going you need to be on your game. Thats a fun day, but the 175's work better at that range.

Mine is great out to 600 yards with the 168SMK. I agree that the stock leaves slot to be desired. I am saving up for a new stock.

I picked up a VTR used a few years back for $400 and the first thing to go was the stock.

After dropping it into a HS stock and having it bedded the accuracy was 100% better.

I have sense upgraded everything.

Is this the SPS tactical with 1-12" twist or the AAC SD with 1-10" twist?

If the former, the price is high, if the latter, the price is average.

If it has a thread protector on the muzzle, it is the aac-sd

The SPS Tactical in .308 was my very first rifle. I'd just be leery of buying a rifle, sight unseen. More than a few guys have had QC issues with their rifles. I had two major gripes with my SPS.

The first was that the barrel turnen out to be threaded into the receiver crooked. I thought that the scope mount holes in the receiver were drilled wrong, but my smith confirmed that the barrel was in there crooked. It still shot really well, though.

My second gripe was the chamber. It was cavernous and the throat was long. I'm down in Louisiana and the air is THICK. The guy that posted above must be shooting in some pretty high altitudes. For me, running a 168gr SMK with 42gr of RL15 only got me 2400 fps. I had to run a LOT of powder to get it up to 2600 fps and I felt really uncomfortable doing it.

Of course, I may have just gotten a lemon, which became moot when I had it rebarreled.