• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Remington 700 Target Tactical

Big Green

Private
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2010
Unfortunately not in Texas
Howdy all! I was recommended this site by some buddies so I'll go ahead and ask my first question.

Remingtom 700 Target Tactical. Any personal experience with one? I have read great reviews about the th 5R SS and expect this rifle to perform similarly. I considered having one built, but this one pretty much met my requirements.

What I like:
5R rifling
Long, heavy barrel configuration
Vertical grip style stock
Availability of parts for the 700

Don't like:
Haven't actually touched one
Stupid triangle barrel
Very few reviews

Any info y'all could give would be greatly appreciated. I will say that I am fairly committed to purchasing this rifle as I have a great price one.

Re: Remington 700 Target Tactical

I dont know what kind of price you got but the cheapest I have seen is $1500 and most is over $1600. If you bought a 5r milspec then you would have your 5r rifling and with the extra money you could put a mcmillan on it. just my opinion because I almost bought one until I did a little research and you dont have the stupid triangle barrel

Hello Big Green,

I own a Remington 700 Target Tactical and I love it all the pros you listed are pretty much the reasons why I got mine. As for the triangle barrel I don't mind it at all now I do not see myself adding anything to end of it any time soon if at all so it wasn't a issue.

As for the rifle itself I am no master marksman the dam thing will out shoot me any day of the week but with practice I do feel I am getting better. I may not post all that much here but I do try and read up here since a lot of these guys here have tons of great info and tips.

I have posted this pic before but it doesn't hurt to post again here she is out at the range.

photo.jpg

pretty rifle. i like that a lot. is that a Bell and Carlson stock?

Paulus

I have to agree with sayer, the gun is overpriced IMHO. Your gonna get more gun for less money if you go with the 700 SS 5R or the PSS as the 5R's can be hard to come by. I just recently bought my first 700 last week. Its a 700 SS 5R I found for 1100$ while shopping around for a PSS. If nothing else your not not gonna have to deal with that stupid triangle shit.

ps. I think sniper central has a review on the VTR. Its not the same gun, but it does have the triangle bbl. http://www.snipercentral.com/vtr.htm

Sayer,

I found one brand new for $1500 out the door. I've seen the 5R SS for around $1000, by the time I add a stock I like and figure out what to do with that stainless barrel I've spent $1500. That 5R SS is a pretty nice rifle, if it had a longer barrel that was not stainless I would have bought one last year.

Bigzam,

Any problems, headaches, grimes or complaints? Anything you would do differently if you built the rifle? How do you think that stock would fit someone with smaller hands? Specifically, to grip the vertical portion and still get the first joint on the trigger and thumb wrapped around the stock. Would it work?

Favorite features or attributes?

Longer barrel is your mistake. Lowlight shoots his barrels a whopping 18"!! How long do you think you need them? If that is your only concern, looks like you are getting a 5R.
Chad

Edit to add:
Don't wrap your thumb around the stock, just rest on top.

Right after I bought it I did have buyers remorse after I took it to the range it all went away. A few people here on the forum did state whats already been said here you can buy the other 5R rifle mount it on a stock of choice, barrel change etc...etc. But for me I did not want to mess with any of it I thought what if I send it off to get work done and it doesn't come back just right then it becomes messy sending it back and forth and getting it to your liking.

Looking back I would not change a thing about it.Yes it is a off the shelf rifle at a higher price but it was a premium I was willing to pay for the peace of mind that if anything went afoul I can sent it to Remington and not have to worry about them not fixing it because I have changed the stock configuration . At least to me this is not a off the shelf rifle since it does have many of the features of a custom and it is a somewhat custom straight from Remington as how I look at it.

What I did was go to as many gun shops/gun shows as you can and fondle/handle as many rifles as you can when I started to go shopping I did this to make sure that the rifle would be a good fit for me. After all what works for me may not work for you. Good luck in your hunt and keep us updated.

The target tactical seems like a nice rifle. I thought about getting one when they came out but i decided to build my own but all in all not too bad of a reifle from remington.

what kind of groups are you getting out of this rifle thinking about getting one i aready have a cz 550 in 308 but its hard to fin what you want for it but if you are getting sub moa then the triangular barrel isnt that big of a deal for me

save yourslf some money for ammo and go with the sps tactical. You can get the same stock, the twist rate is the only difference.

[img:left]
IMG_4232.jpg
[/img]

the target tac also comes with the 5r rifling just looked at one the other weekend didnt have muzzle brake but def is marked with 5r rifleing