• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Remington 700 under Fire – CNBC Report

FNF165

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2012
I found a documentary in Netflix by CNBC called “Remington Under Fire” about accidents & deaths caused by a defect that could show up in the “pre X-mark trigger” Remington 700 rifles. There is also an abbreviated version of the documentary on the CNBC website if you don’t have Netflix. Apparently a very small number of rifles would fire when the safety was moved from Safe to Fire, which also unlocked the bolt in this design. Apparently the original designer discovered this problem a year after the 700 was put into production and came up with a fix that Remington rejected because it added 5 cents to the cost of the rifle. The documentary deals mostly with the cover-up at Remington but they have a few videos from Police & Border Patrol snipers at a range showing these rifles going off by just throwing the safety lever from safe to the fire position without a finger near the trigger. They also claim that releasing the new X-mark trigger was Remington’s solution to this faulty design without admitting liability or that there was any problem in the first place.

I had no idea this was ever a problem but apparently its fairly well documented, anyone here have this happen to them or ever hear of it happening? Most of us use after-market triggers but some still prefer a worked-over “old style” 700 triggers and I wonder if they are aware that this issue could pop up on day? It was an interesting film, they interviewed the 700 inventor (now a Remington hall of fame member) and talk about this rifles history, popularity, and prevalence just because of its accuracy which was attributed to the crisp break of its “revolutionary new trigger design” when it was first released.

It may be very rare given the sheer numbers of 700's in service throughout the world, and pointing your muzzle in a safe direction any time you flip off the safety to fire or unload the weapon is pretty damn basic gun safety that everyone should know, I have to say I am glad I have aftermarket triggers on both my 700's.

Re: Remington 700 under Fire – CNBC Report

If you hunt around, there are a bunch of threads from when this actually aired. Much more than I could convey in one post.

I'm happy to see the new vid, if the people involved in the shootings had followed basic firearm safety and had the barrel pointed in a safe direction this propoganda crap would have never made it to tv.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mortarguy5611</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you type that into the Search Engine you will find this has been discussed many times. </div></div>

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Send me all those faulty "old stlye" triggers.I will make sure nobody gets hurts.

If you are having trigger problems send me the gun. I will fix it and keep the gun so no one gets hurt with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: remau308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You're first fault with this....CNBC...nothing more needs to be said. </div></div>

Agreed, they are not much better then MSNBC, only difference is their anchors don't admit to getting "all tingly" when discussing Obama.

Also agree that basic gun safety would have prevent most if not all injuries & deaths. I have seen a shotgun leaning against a duck-bling go off on its own - turned out the guys brother had taken it apart and did not get it back together correctly. Some punk broke into his house and took it before it was repaired, only hope he blew his crackhead off with it. There was also that old Winchester pump .22 that was known for firing every time you worked the action once they got worn in really well - put a round into the floor with one myself years ago.

I've got the old style trigger and love it... Firearms safety issues (the lack there of) always cause issues with manufacturers. Media and stupid people suck regardless!!!

700's going off buy their self............ now if we could just teach them to load and march by themselves............any suggestions??

They adjusted the screw too much.......I tested this with my 700 p and unscrewed the trigger screw so it was a hair trigger....closed the bolt and it Hey what do you know..... it discharged. No ammo ofcourse but this proves my point, a bunch of dumbasses working on things they know nothing about

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aimsmall55</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They adjusted the screw too much.......I tested this with my 700 p and unscrewed the trigger screw so it was a hair trigger....closed the bolt and it Hey what do you know..... it discharged. No ammo ofcourse but this proves my point, a bunch of dumbasses working on things they know nothing about </div></div>

I agree with what you said and also with others on basic gun saftey would have eliminated the problem. Fact of the matter is weither you are a hunter, target shooter or a sniper in the military, police, border patrol etc. you are going to want a crisp trigger. So while watching this you have to keep in mind that the triggers could of been adjusted to fit the roles. Most of the rifles I have shot are at a 2.5-3 lb pull just enough to make each shot a surprise but they just don't go off by switching the saftey off or barely touching the bolt (I have tested this with the rifles I shoot). Also I do feel sorry for the familys loss of a son, altho I don't have kids of my own so I can only imagine what they went through but who teaches someone to unload a weapon pointing towards a structure of some sort in this case a horse trailer which isn't the best place due to people walking around the trailer or loading the horses into the trailer. Their are just WAY to many factors on the "victims" end that could have been prevented instead of I'm just gonna blame Remington. Ok rant over.

The only close call I've ever had was with my father in laws old rem 700 sporter. I loaded it closed the bolt and the rifle discharged barely missing my wife. A few years later the same rifle shot a hole in the floor of my brother in laws truck when he was out hunting. Needless to say no-one uses this rifle anymore.